Best Shotgun $700 or less

jeffywestcoast

Looking to buy a new pump action shotgun , my main reasoning would be home defence but i am also looking for a shotgun i can have fun shooting clays with and posibly
use for deer , so far i am leading towards a Mossberg 500 or a Remington 870 express.. am i asking to much out of one shotgun ,should i look for purpose built for both or can one cover both bases ?

Looking to buy a new pump action shotgun , my main reasoning would be home defence but i am also looking for a shotgun i can have fun shooting clays with and posibly
use for deer , so far i am leading towards a Mossberg 500 or a Remington 870 express.. am i asking to much out of one shotgun ,should i look for purpose built for both or can one cover both bases ?
**** jeffy you living in the hood lol home defence

Home defense usually means shorter barrel which means you are screwed on the other end of the deal. For home defense I would want the shortest barrel shotgun with the highest capacity of rounds. Fixed stock by the way for accuracy. Try shooting the pistol grip only shotguns at close range in rapid fire.......going for the broad side of a barn or are you going for a 7" placement on the vitals.

For clays or deer you need the barrel buddy. No if's or buts about it unfortunately. Need the velocity for those little shots to get out there and touch something.

Good luck with what ever your choose. I think if you wanted to, you could almost get both for that budget range. The home security unit would be questionable but doable with a good choice. Pumps are not as near as problematic as semi's. The cheap pumps have a pretty good reputation.

Remmy or Benelli,
as Sculpin says you need both a long and a Shorty, look for a Remmy with twin barrel kit and at least a modified choke for the long barrel,
unless your using slugs for deer, then no or removeable choke,
check out bchunting or gunnutz, sometimes theres a deal to be had but be fast if there is.

Home defence? Spend most of the money on training.

For home defense you'll want to be able to mount a bright white light to absolutely ID your target. Skip the pistol grip, you need to aim a shotgun and that is done from the shoulder, regardless of what you've seen on TV.

Rem. 870's have always been a great platform, though I've heard they've started cheaping out on some components on newer ones.

Remington with dual barrels and chokes chambered 3". The double sliders on the pump with help it last 10,000 shells and I think a magnet still sticks to the receiver. M500 isn't make of steel.

Mossberg 500s have worked well for the US military. Training in house clearing can really open up ones eyes to the complexity of something that appears simple. Like over penetration and liability.

Thats what i was looking at aparently they have been having issues with the new 870 pumps from what i have read and from talking to they guys at wholesale sports ..

Benelli Nova is a great gun the Super Novas go on sale from time to time, Stay away from Mossberg they are cheap feeling and very squeaky and they rattle. The European guns seem to be the best but you pay for better quality. The Benelli Nova an shoot 3.5" 3" and 2.75" shells. and comes with interchangeable chokes

Join canadiangunnuts. Lots of used shotguns on there. I've bought and sold quite a few over the years.

Home defence? Spend most of the money on training.

For home defense you'll want to be able to mount a bright white light to absolutely ID your target. Skip the pistol grip, you need to aim a shotgun and that is done from the shoulder, regardless of what you've seen on TV.

Rem. 870's have always been a great platform, though I've heard they've started cheaping out on some components on newer ones.
Yes i was in the gunshop trying the actions of all the shotguns , get what you pay for i guess for a little more the benelli or the browning for around 800-1000 seem pretty good ,

IMG_1318.JPG Thanks everyone who replied or msg'd me after reading a ton of reviews and talking to some knowledgeable members here I decided on the Weatherby p-08 Synthetic 12 gauge with 28 inch barrel i actually wanted the upland p-08 but settled for the Synthetic as the upland was not in stock. I tried a few and really like the feel of this one over the 870 Remmy .. should be a decent shotgun for the money , damn there are alot of nice shotguns out there and i am quite certain this will not be my last shotgun..

Last edited:
Welcome to the insanity Jeffy,
do you have just one fishing rod too;) of course not you can never have just one.....Right
and you thought the fishing bug was expensive hahahahahahahaha

Good choice Jeff. Great gun for the money. Enjoy!:) We will have to go shootin some time ;).

I'm sure this won't be your last either lol. The Weatherby defense shotguns look great too. You can pick one of them up next......

Last edited:
Back