Best Lingcod?

Zakalwe

Simple question; where is the best lingcod fishing on the island right now?

(Please don’t get upset with me for asking; this is not intended to cause offence )

Simple question; where is the best lingcod fishing on the island right now?

(Please don’t get upset with me for asking; this is not intended to cause offence )
on the west coast. three per day limits in some places. they are getting absolutely hammered on the inside due to the salmon regulations and larger populations of ppl

I would agree with RiverBoy that there is a huge amount of pressure on lingcod on the inside during the time they are open and Chinook are not. Pretty much everybody fishing is interested in getting them, which never used to be the case. For now there seems to be enough to reproduce, as when I was out a week or so ago trying to get one, I released as many 20 between 55-64cm. I don't feel as bad releasing a few lings as they seem to have pretty tough mouths and rarely seem damaged. Unlike the Chinook where a good number seem to be bleeding or damaged when you release them (if you caught and released 20 Chinook probably at least 4-5 would be notably injured)
Its probably something that needs to be considered in the regulations, but of course its hard to know what we might fish for if lingcod is more restricted.

I just returned from winter harbour. Everyone comes back to the docks in the early afternoon and we saw stacks of lings being unloaded from every boat (assuming there was a few rods per boat). Never seen so many lings in one day before. Good luck finding accommodation - I spoke to The Outpost and they said every site is booked and some residents are even renting out rooms or lawn for campers!

I would agree with RiverBoy that there is a huge amount of pressure on lingcod on the inside during the time they are open and Chinook are not. Pretty much everybody fishing is interested in getting them, which never used to be the case. For now there seems to be enough to reproduce, as when I was out a week or so ago trying to get one, I released as many 20 between 55-64cm. I don't feel as bad releasing a few lings as they seem to have pretty tough mouths and rarely seem damaged. Unlike the Chinook where a good number seem to be bleeding or damaged when you release them (if you caught and released 20 Chinook probably at least 4-5 would be notably injured)
Its probably something that needs to be considered in the regulations, but of course its hard to know what we might fish for if lingcod is more restricted.
I agree there is a huge amount of pressure on Lingcod. I wonder if there will be any left for my grand kids to catch

I caught an 18lber right outside Ukee harbour mouth on Aug 3 last year. Think it was tired of seeing all the same old stuff because I got it on a plug.

Back