Best Gaff (equipment, not miskake)

Morty

Upcoming will be my first Springtime salmon fishing in Vancouver area salt. It's time to get a gaff for releasing under-size. I see two basic types out there; ones with a semi-circular hook, and others with just an angular bend. Which is better for releasing fish in the water boatside?

The latter imho, as the curved hook variety is more common in gaffing large, blue water species that are intended to be killed. I’d also caution you on the gaff method for undersized fish as the method relies on the weight of the fish to pop the hook, not easy on fish smaller than a few pounds and jerking them up and down trying to make it work can be a lot more damaging than a quick hand bomb to the side and use of pliers. Anything bigger than 5lbs, gaff slid down the leader t the bend of the hook, line down, jerk gaff up and fish is gone 19/20 times once you get the hang of it.

Cheers!

Ukee

The latter imho, as the curved hook variety is more common in gaffing large, blue water species that are intended to be killed. I’d also caution you on the gaff method for undersized fish as the method relies on the weight of the fish to pop the hook, not easy on fish smaller than a few pounds and jerking them up and down trying to make it work can be a lot more damaging than a quick hand bomb to the side and use of pliers. Anything bigger than 5lbs, gaff slid down the leader t the bend of the hook, line down, jerk gaff up and fish is gone 19/20 times once you get the hang of it.

Cheers!

Ukee

I like the scotty gaff. It also seconds as a fish bonker and its 24" So close to legal length for east side van fishing just need to add an extra inch for legal fish.

The 30" is good but too long if you want use a bonker also, very cumbersome.

NO. 225 GAFF/BONKER – SMALL

spike gaff for what we do, blue water gaff or hook is for lifting under tuners etc

use upstream hand to pull leader ahead, do not lift yet! slide gaff down leader until it engages in the belly of the hook. lift gaff while pushing down leader. pop! bub bye mini.

I have in the past used both the angular and circular style gaff. I prefer the angular gaff for actual gaffing. However for releasing undersized fish I use a very short gaff, if it can be called that. (stored hook down in a holder). perhaps it is because I fish from an open boat with low gunnels. This is a generic picture of what I use to release undersized fish including Rock and Ling, Mine has a more angular opening, with the point removed. I use basically the same method releasing as trophywife.

s-l640.png

Back