Best ball for the job

Breakin"even

Crew Member
I'm attracted to a coated ball with a fin but is a round ball better for blow back?
I'm upgrading to heavier ones and wondering if there is a difference.

The fin does stop spinning but it does not seem to change anything else. Some like the coating so you don't handle lead. It, of course, costs more but has no effect on fishing results.

There are so many other variables that are going to influence drag (causing blowback) more than the round vs small-fin balls. Personally I use coated 15lbs with the small fin to stop spinning. I don't give them a second thought

I've been using round and although I do like the more predictable routes of the ball no matter how many swivels I use I can't avoid the spinning. This causes the clip to wrap around the main line every time I bring it up. I'll probably glue a small stainless fin on myself.

Try this to prevent spinning:

GI5wDrT.jpg

fbT1NKo.jpg

There are so many other variables that are going to influence drag (causing blowback) more than the round vs small-fin balls. Personally I use coated 15lbs with the small fin to stop spinning. I don't give them a second thought
Same , never had an issue with spinning????

Scotty used to make these plastic fins that you could screw into the round balls. Dont know if they still make them or not...

Back