Best B.C. based fishing show

What is your favourite BC fishing based fishing show?

• BC Outdoors Sport Fishing

Votes: 10 7.4%
  • Big Coast

Votes: 30 22.1%
  • Mark Pendlington/West Coast Sporting Journal

Votes: 23 16.9%
  • Gary Cooper/Multiple shows

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • Reel West Coast: B-Mo

Votes: 54 39.7%
  • Two men and their fishing rods

Votes: 10 7.4%
  • Sport Fishing on the Fly

Votes: 6 4.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I like to see a portion of the show dedicated to rigging gear selecting gear and tactics. I really don’t get much from watching a guy reel in his fish, so if that’s all the shows about, I lose interest

I like to see a portion of the show dedicated to rigging gear selecting gear and tactics. I really don’t get much from watching a guy reel in his fish, so if that’s all the shows about, I lose interest

BC Outdoors Sport Fishing has a section every episode called Learning with the Pro's where a tip is given by the guest, as well as a section where the gear used is discussed including a screenshot so one could copy down what they showed.

Reactions: Mo
Gary seems like a cool guy to have a beer with. Quite the opposite with Pendlington though. At least that's how he comes across on TV to me. Bit of a smartest guy in the room complex, like your buddy Dayna! 🤣
Lol, wish I filmed some of my adventures 20 years ago when I fished out of my 17’ ocean going seaward kayak. Used to go up to Cluxewe and paddle 20k out to Queen Charlotte Strait and fish either casting a fly or jigging for bottom fish. Largest Hali to date in the ocean kayak was 50 lbs. largest spring was 32 lbs out of Nitnat gap

Great feedback. I've been watching Fishermans life who has a huge following and he pretty much does shore casting catch and cooks and solo trips. I'm really loving the energy of passionate fishermen catching their first big fish. Had first-time catches happen for 5 different people this season and it is that first-time thrill that is exciting. 3 first time catches were on their boats and 2 were on mine. I've been thinking about taking a stranger fishing series. Single parents, veterans, and youth at risk. I'd include nurses but my wife would roll her eyes and say "Not unless you want a divorce and small boat".
just take out a big ol’ nurse. the wife won’t be threatened, plus i bet she’s got some good recipes….

I find that part is too much an infomercial for his sponsors
I agree on that part because you won’t see many guides using Rapala mooching reels however they do show the spoons and flashers and what they use for leaders and the lengths, a lot of newcomers don’t know that yet. Clearly they’re not gearing the show towards your level of experience.
B-Mo seems to have a lot of slow motion close-ups of an Islander reel either paying outline or in the holder. All these shows are for a hobby that we enjoy so I tip my cap to all of them.

Gary Coopers diary old shows were the best when he fished unguided and local spots on southern VI. SFOTF shows probably the best scenery.

Take down is when the rod goes off? I just subscribed thanks for the recommendation.

I've been a subscriber to Fishing With Rod for ages. I like his low key, matter of fact manner. Informative and doesn't feel like a nonstop advertisement. If I wanted to watch guys in rigs that cost a quarter million plus hauling in fish, well I could go get my guide licence and have someone pay me to do that.

When I was gathering info about prawning and crabbing, I came across a YouTube series called Washington Fish Quest. Simple amateur phone videos but covering a lot of the experiences you can have on salt water in the Puget Sound area: various types of salmon fishing, crabbing, prawning, etc.

What I like about Blake's videos are they're from the POV of a working guy who doesn't have a lot of money, but gets out on the water in what he's got. Pitched at people coming into the sport for the first time and need to know how to prep herring, rig and bait a prawn trap, and so on.

Very cool, that's awesome. He definitely has an eye for the action from the one video I have seen on youtube last night. I need to get on Instagram, a buddy of mine has a million followers on Instagram and says people will eat it up. I've been through about 8 hours of filming 3 times looking for our tuna smash that broke the rod holder off, and me running to save the rod, but the battery had died on the rod view camera. We have tons of shorts of the tuna hitting, but not the first one which happened in seconds or minutes after getting the line wet. The same thing has happened with our big Halibut smashes this year, I missed the big ones :( . I'm sure I have spent at least 40 hours looking at video waiting for good take-downs and have another 12 hours to go for my Tofino footage.

Thanks for the tip guys, I will include our best smash in sunny weather in the first few seconds.

Any other shots you guys love? Do you like the jigging smashes better than trolling?

I need to work on the underwater shots, I have all my freediving gear but might just be ready to jump in and get shots.

I bought another $800 in gear that should allow me to always catch "take downs" but haven't figured out a way to attach it correctly to the boat and get all rods in the picture. Jesus, considering Gary Cooper said they filmed with $80,000 in gear back in the day, I'm likely getting close with $ invested opportunity costs in my other business. If anyone knows anything about monetizing video through partnerships, resellers etc would love to chat. Planning to be on the youtube partner program soon, if not in weeks by about March. Goal is 100k subscribers by July 2023. Might start a business or two to drive real revenue, happy to chat with anyone about boating/fishing business anytime especially while on our boats waiting for take downs.

Any other BC Youtube or other tiktok or Instagram fishing channels you guys love or your partners/kids watch? I watch YBS Youngbloods out of Australia religiously. My son loves it too. He has a serious passion for the water and I may have fallen in love with a young Argentian woman or two when I was his age.

Sorry for derailing this thread.

I still PVR some , stopped watching big coast after they netted a already bonked fish, must have been a slow day for content. Like others have said it’s mostly just ads now, must be working though because everyone and their dog has kingfisher out front of French Creek and doesn’t know how to steer.

Would you guys rather see reeling being sped up or cut out? I'm down to 43 minutes on our tuna trip and trying to get under 10 minutes. What things do you skip or fast forward through?

It should probably be 5 minutes but we had such an awesome time, it is hard to cut. Don't worry no sponsors, but dam I love boats, engines, rods and reels, so I might mention them and do a couple of close-ups!

How would these shows exist without advertising or sponsor acknowledgment? I watch on YouTube and zip through the obvious stuff but those internal products plugs are fine by me.

Back