Berkley powerbait for a rooke

blink2u4i

got a stupid question,hope someone can help,how do you rig a Berkley Powerbait 8"power Grub,cann't find any info on this,and, how and what are they used for,(Halibut?),I know ,,stupid!!

got a stupid question,hope someone can help,how do you rig a Berkley Powerbait 8"power Grub,cann't find any info on this,and, how and what are they used for,(Halibut?),I know ,,stupid!!

Blink.......I'm sure there are several ways to do it. I rig them with two 9/0 singles tied in tandem. I just run the back hook down the center and out the bottom like you would with a small grub and say a lead jig head for fresh water fishing. Then just run the front hook just inside the back on the grub and out the top. After a few fish the hooks will pull out or tear the grub a bit but you just have to give them a quick tune up before you send it back down again. Just what I do........Cheers!

Attachments

• CIMG1491.jpg
    CIMG1491.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 249
i also tried to find info on this theres not much surprising as they are popular -- i either thread them on my circle hook with eye of hook left part way in or i have a huge needle that i use to thread the line through with hook dangling at bottom theres some new smaller versions too which come in a six pack which i like -- some times i just cut them in chunks and put on hook with bait

I use a tire plug insert tool and pull the leader through so the hook sits just in front of the tail, with the eye of the hook buried slighly in the powerbait.
I also use a single 9/0 Gamagatsu octopus hook. I like to hold my rod so I feel everything, so I have never used circle hooks.
I think that comes from a river fishing background.

I will post a picture later today.

Last edited by a moderator:
I put them on 16-24 jig head and fish away. Catches all sorts of bottom fish; snapper, ling, hali etc.

Fish them by jigging them up and down, feeling the bottom and letting it hit every once and a while.

The odd spring will hit them as well.

Cheers

SS

I take a small plastic straw and push a nail through the straw. Then push the nail/straw combo through the grub and once the straw protrudes an inch or so through the bottom of the large section of the grub pull the nail back through and clip off the excess straw on both ends. Now you have a tunnel through the grub to run a leader (circle or J hooks) and the grub will stay in much better shape longer as it can slide up the leader when a fish hits. Just what I do, learned it from a guide up in Tahsis several years ago.

That's a great trick,Kramer! That's why I love this forum. Just a seemingly endless supply of information.

Here is the picture including one of the tire threader too!

photo.jpg

I just use zip ties....very easy and fast. I use tuna cord with a sliding 2 pound weight and tie the 18-24 inch 80 pound leader with the two Gamakatsu Octopus hooks....I slide the back hook into and through the top of the Berkley worm (about 1.5 jot 2 inches from the top) and zip the second one to the opposite side facing of the worm...ready to fish. Super quick and easy...you can also make repairs, cut some worn off, etc. and still use this set up. Have been nailing Hali and Lings for years using this trick...taught by Jambo Sportfishing at a Puget Sound Anglers meeting here in Wash State about 6 years ago. Big fish like zip ties!!

Back