Berkley Big Game for Main Line

I agree 30lb Berkley Big game main line is the way to go. I worked at Island Outfitters a couple years ago, thats what every guide used. I believe 40lb Seaguar is the way to go for leader. Although some guys may call you a meat fisherman, guiding with clients I would definitely use 40lb.

What are some thoughts on 40+lb leader? Meat fisherman or Sport?

Outfitting and Retailing BBG has been reliable. We often use a different type of mainline on our reels based on what we have found works well for the cost..
Also use Maxima UG for leaders.
-Note- We ordered A lot of the new Berkely Pro Spec for bulk Retail and try out for our fleet. It has been a terrible FAIL. Brand new Pro Spec and a few of my guides had lost nearly a dozen set ups in the first week before we changed it out, back the original brand. Some breaks were mid line on gear check to find nothing there.....

One positive is our sales rep said he would take it back so good customer service on their part.

I agree 30lb Berkley Big game main line is the way to go. I worked at Island Outfitters a couple years ago, thats what every guide used. I believe 40lb Seaguar is the way to go for leader. Although some guys may call you a meat fisherman, guiding with clients I would definitely use 40lb.

What are some thoughts on 40+lb leader? Meat fisherman or Sport?

I don't think it makes much difference unless you are worried about line abrasion bottom fishing. If you think about it the other side of your flasher has 30lb so the whole setup won't take more than 30lbs of tension regardless of how heavy the leader is. Only reason I use 40lb for hootchie leaders is it's stiffer and whips the hootchie around better behind the flasher.

IMHO you use a heavier leader for the extra whip on the hoochie and/or so that your leader can take more abuse before you need to swap out for a new one. It has nothing to do with being called a meat fisherman. Last week in Nootka I went from 40lb to 50lb leaders because there was so much by catch inbetween springs and I wanted a leader that could handle more wear from the teeth, pliers and gaff. My 50lb test was BBG and it appears to be every bit as good as Maxima.
With the correct knot, that's why you would use flouro as well.... Its tougher than mono.

30 lb. BBG for main line,and 40lb. BBG for leader. I've been using them for 25 plus years now and never had any
problem whatsoever. I personally think Maxima Ultragreen is "overated" and your only paying for the name. Just spooled
up fresh BBG on my reels. $15.00 for 300 meters. The same amount of Maxima UG was $26.00. I can't justify it!!

Back