Beer Cooler - Sous-Vide cooking

TenMile

I think this method of cooking is so perfect for the SFBC forum. It requires a beer cooler (check), meat like Steak, Salmon, Halibut, Game (check), a vacuum packer or ziplock bags (check) and a small thermometer.

Here's what to do, going to use Steak as the example:

- vacuum pack (or ziplock with no air) your steak -- optionally prepare our favourite marinade and include it with the steak

- take your beer cooler, add hot water and bring the temperature up to 130F by adding boiling water

- place bagged steak in water for a minimum of 45 minutes (but you can leave it there for several hours if you wish, the steak can't overcook)

- after the hour is done, pre-heat a cast-iron skillet with some Olive Oil -- Salt & Pepper steak to taste, add a couple pads of butter and drop steak onto skillet for about 90 seconds per side (just want to brown it, no further cooking required).

Done!

This method of cooking is called Sous-Vide cooking and typically involves very costly kitchen equipment. However, a beer cooler has that magic property of not only keeping beer cold, but can also keep water at a constant temperature for 5 hours or more. I personally like "Bubba Sous-Vide" or Beer Cooler Cooking.

Whatever you call it, this method of cooking results in THE PERFECT steak -- pink medium rare from middle right to the edge. No overcooked grey meat on the outside, or raw on the inside. You can also cook Fish (Salmon, Halibut etc), Chicken, Ribs, Veggies (corn on the cob, beans etc) Game or whatever you have on hand.

Here's a video I stumbled across that got me to try it: http://lifehacker.com/cook-a-perfect-medium-rare-steak-in-a-beer-cooler-523647638

Thanks for that. I've read about sous vide some time ago. This will make it very easy to check out. It should help with thinner cuts as well.
Thanks again

That is very interesting. I once met a guy about 25 years ago who tried to start up a business selling products packaged with this method of cooking in mind. He was a co-worker of mine and he used to bring in his cooked products as samples for us to taste test. I never saw his product hit the marketplace so I assumed he never got the business off the ground. I'm going to have to revisit this type of cooking again, but with a beer cooler this time!

I will stick to the bbq. A bag and frying pan is no place for a steak!

I beg to differ, a frying pan and an oven are/were the place to cook a perfect steak. Carmelized exterior with an evenly cooked interior. This is just an improvement towards that goal.

I beg to differ, a frying pan and an oven are/were the place to cook a perfect steak. Carmelized exterior with an evenly cooked interior. This is just an improvement towards that goal.

I agree, cast iron very hot to sear the meat, then turn it down for another minute or two, a very good way to cook a steak, but make sure it's a quality cut like a Strip Loin or Rib Eye. With Fresh Rosemary and Pepper to make a crust.

Check out the bio on the guy who wrote the Modernist Cuisine. Too bad he didn't take up fishing.

Dr. Nathan Myhrvold, author of The Photography of Modernist Cuisine and co-author of Modernist Cuisine and Modernist Cuisine at Home, has had a passion for cooking and photography since he was a boy. By the age of 13, Myhrvold had already cooked the family Thanksgiving feast and transformed a bathroom into a darkroom.

Unlike many childhood hobbies, his fascination in food and photography did not fade —it intensified. He consumed cooking books and invested in new cameras and lenses even while doing postdoctoral cosmology work with Stephen Hawking. While working as the chief technology officer of Microsoft, he took a leave of absence to earn his culinary diploma from École de Cuisine La Varenne in France.

Even as he worked as founder and CEO of Intellectual Ventures, Myhrvold published his photography in America 24/7 and Washington 24/7, began writing Modernist Cuisine, and launched The Cooking Lab. Myhrvold developed many of the photographic concepts featured in the book, such as cutaway views of cooking setups and stacked-focus supermacro close-ups. As the demands of writing the book increased, the photography team at The Cooking Lab expanded, but Myhrvold shot a large fraction of the photos in The Photography of Modernist Cuisine, Modernist Cuisine, and Modernist Cuisine at Home, and he also supervised the photo editing and selection.

Following the publication of Modernist Cuisine in 2011, the book won top honors for visual design from the International Association of Culinary Professionals, and the photography of the book has been exhibited at The Smithsonian Institution, the Museum of Natural History in Le Havre, France, and at Hong Kong’s Landmark. The Photography of Modernist Cuisine reflects Myhrvold’s passion for innovation in both photography and food.

- See more at: http://modernistcuisine.com/books/t...uisine/about-the-author/#sthash.QnSQpIM7.dpuf

Back