Sous Vide Newbie

Roast and steak are about the same for the desired temperature/doneness. Remember that you have to be at least 132 degrees for the fat to render. I have done lots of sous vide, settled on 135 for steak, and then either a hot pan sear, a torch, or bbq finish to char the edges and surfaces. I would not do the 3 minute sear or 3 minute bbq finish as suggested, as it will cook the meat more. Your personal preference on doneness and sear time/method may vary, but like anything, eventually you will make it your own and folks will be asking you how.

Reverse sear also works, I do it for Beef Wellington in sous vide method.
So I did this roast at 135f and settled on 18 hours. Salt, pepper and some herbs in the bag. Company for dinner said it was the best roast they have ever had. I added the juices to my homemade beef stock gravy. Now I'm looking to try halibut this method, as it can be a little tricky not to over cook. Anyone have any experience with it?

So I did this roast at 135f and settled on 18 hours. Salt, pepper and some herbs in the bag. Company for dinner said it was the best roast they have ever had. I added the juices to my homemade beef stock gravy. Now I'm looking to try halibut this method, as it can be a little tricky not to over cook. Anyone have any experience with it?
Nice results, sounds like you perfected it.

My suggestion. Max 130 for halibut, even 128 is perfect, being careful on the sear to not cook it. A few degrees is critical for fish. Salmon is the same for temperature. Fish will fall apart at correct doneness when removing from the bag so use a fish spatula or completely cut the bag apart. Your choice on sear but I’ve eaten salmon without a sear.

I rarely sear fish but if I do I just use a torch to give it a bit of a crust. Bear in mind as well with fish knowing if you only want to cook it medium for example don't leave it in for 2 hours as texture can be compromised. Most regular filets I do of hali/ling/salmon require about 45-55 minutes.

I rarely sear fish but if I do I just use a torch to give it a bit of a crust. Bear in mind as well with fish knowing if you only want to cook it medium for example don't leave it in for 2 hours as texture can be compromised. Most regular filets I do of hali/ling/salmon require about 45-55 minutes.
I've done salmon without a sear, just like butter, but if I did sear, it was just a quick under the broiler finish, one side only for texture and also presentation

Did two roasts in the sous vide for New Years. 24 hours for buffalo top round, and 18 hours for a beef sirloin tip. Both worked out good. Definitely makes a bad cut of meat much more tender.

Attachments

• 4C71FE0C-2877-47E5-B90E-E11654CCDCDA.jpeg
    4C71FE0C-2877-47E5-B90E-E11654CCDCDA.jpeg
    507.8 KB · Views: 33
  • E91C18B3-7D7D-4C22-AC97-E3C7013F940C.jpeg
    E91C18B3-7D7D-4C22-AC97-E3C7013F940C.jpeg
    349.8 KB · Views: 33
  • F9B0682D-FC05-4A8E-8EF7-643DEEB494DB.jpeg
    F9B0682D-FC05-4A8E-8EF7-643DEEB494DB.jpeg
    447.8 KB · Views: 33
Back