Sous Vide Newbie

Corey_lax

Crew Member
I just got a Sous vide that I’m looking to try out on some ribeyes. The cooking charts I’ve found are not much help. It says 134 degrees or higher for 1-4 hours. That’s quite a difference in time. So how do I get a medium rare steak? 140 degrees for 2 hours? Or something completely different ?

Attachments

• 913B301E-9C27-4CB1-90DD-C3CE1BACCEAF.png
    913B301E-9C27-4CB1-90DD-C3CE1BACCEAF.png
    643.2 KB · Views: 18
I just got a Sous vide that I’m looking to try out on some ribeyes. The cooking charts I’ve found are not much help. It says 134 degrees or higher for 1-4 hours. That’s quite a difference in time. So how do I get a medium rare steak? 140 degrees for 2 hours? Or something completely different ?
For a good medium steak I usually set mine to 134 degrees and then finish on a super hot bbq for 3 min. I like to do sous vide mine for at least 2 hours, sometimes 4. Remember the temp won't change, so length of time just helps to break down conective tissues more.

I have also finished on a hot frying pan with butter. Works good too.

We do our rib steaks @ 135 for about 2 hours. Timing is not critical.
A couple of other things to try:
2 day short ribs - insane
Pork belly, skin on, 170.

Sounds good. Mines set to 140 for about an hour. I’ll turn it down and let it be around 134 for a while

Cou

Could you elaborate on the pork belly recipe?
170 for 8 hours. Use the non fat juices from the bag to make a reduction with mayo and chipotle or similar. I put the belly in a pan to further reduce and crisp up the skin. Great appy.
The temperature of cooking steaks and roasts varying by only a few degrees is mostly a taste thing and the beauty of it is the replicability. The biggest problem with too much cooking time is ruining the texture and unlikely to occur when cooking steaks.
In my opinion the biggest issue will be the finishing. Whatever you use; BBQ, pan, or torch, it must be extremely hot or you will lose the benefit of sous vide.
Lots of ideas on the net, I've done eggs Benedict and even cheese cake with good results.

130°F for whatever length of time. Longer means more time to break down the meat and render fat. I’m usually 1-2 hours, unless I forget. More time won’t hurt the steaks. Bring ‘em out, dry, and cool some. I finish mine in fire. I crank up my big green egg with mesquite wood charcoal. Let the fire engulf them to get some char, flipping several times.

If you’ve never taken steaks out of the sous vide, they’re going to look nasty! Don’t worry about it. The fire or searing cast iron will take care of that.

140°F is killing those steaks. Might as well serve sirloin 😂

You can definitely do a roast too long and ruin the texture. Steaks 2-6 hours no prob. When it comes time to sear I like to pat mine dry with a paper towel first.

130°F for whatever length of time. Longer means more time to break down the meat and render fat. I’m usually 1-2 hours, unless I forget. More time won’t hurt the steaks. Bring ‘em out, dry, and cool some. I finish mine in fire. I crank up my big green egg with mesquite wood charcoal. Let the fire engulf them to get some char, flipping several times.

If you’ve never taken steaks out of the sous vide, they’re going to look nasty! Don’t worry about it. The fire or searing cast iron will take care of that.

140°F is killing those steaks. Might as well serve sirloin 😂
Turns out it wasn’t at 140 degrees. I must have had it on a weird setting because I came back from playing in the snow with the kid and it was at 118 degrees. Got that sorted and everything worked out fine. Not bad for a first attempt. It’ll make life easy for my wife to throw on a roast and forget about it

Attachments

• 7C2DDE38-DF7C-4B04-B9A1-E89A89DAF173.jpeg
    7C2DDE38-DF7C-4B04-B9A1-E89A89DAF173.jpeg
    314.6 KB · Views: 56
  • C4302BF3-484F-489D-9B77-15F1D41EF3E4.jpeg
    C4302BF3-484F-489D-9B77-15F1D41EF3E4.jpeg
    214.7 KB · Views: 58
They’re an awesome toy. Especially handing when entertaining and you’re waiting for anyone who is late…. Just keep the steaks in the bath :).

Now, add some dungie or prawns and live fat and happier 😂

So I've never done this method of cooking before. After reading this thread I am going to try a 3.5lb round roast. Any thoughts on how long and what temperature to set it at?

So I've never done this method of cooking before. After reading this thread I am going to try a 3.5lb round roast. Any thoughts on how long and what temperature to set it at?
It depends to what doneness you want. If medium rare I'd do it at about 130-132 Fahrenheit. Do you plan to sear it afterwards?

I cant help but want to change the name of this thread to Sous Vide Nous Bide. Nobody?

Roast and steak are about the same for the desired temperature/doneness. Remember that you have to be at least 132 degrees for the fat to render. I have done lots of sous vide, settled on 135 for steak, and then either a hot pan sear, a torch, or bbq finish to char the edges and surfaces. I would not do the 3 minute sear or 3 minute bbq finish as suggested, as it will cook the meat more. Your personal preference on doneness and sear time/method may vary, but like anything, eventually you will make it your own and folks will be asking you how.

Reverse sear also works, I do it for Beef Wellington in sous vide method.

It depends to what doneness you want. If medium rare I'd do it at about 130-132 Fahrenheit. Do you plan to sear it afterwards?
Yes, I will sear it. I like rare to med. rare. How many hours do you think?

Yes, I will sear it. I like rare to med. rare. How many hours do you think?
Lots of online charts showing suggestions. I would think 6 hours from memory.

There are a few good YouTube pages to follow. This guy has quite the following and he’s tried nearly everything imaginable. I got my pinwheel salmon method and many others from him. Guga is his name, Sous Vide Everything is the YouTube page.

There is a Facebook page of his too.

Douglas Baldwin wrote the bible on time and temperature.

Back