bearing buddies

Try tapping them with a rubber hammer as salt can build up between buddys and hub.Cheers Fah Cups.

Pour warm water over them and they will expand and are easier to get off ; use a small blade screw driver after the warm water and they will break free.

Cheers

AL

Can't get the (grease cap) Bearing buddy Off?. Get a junk of 2x4 and a
bigger hammer...Knock it back and forth-side to side a little on the outer edge of b.b. each time watching to see if it's coming off the hub.[^]

Pipe wrench will sometimes work as well but it may destroy them but that may be time to replace if there stuck on there that tight.

Good luck Wolf

Why take them off if they still work? If you have to remove them use the pipe wrench like the above reply says and put new ones on, they are cheap.

If you have trouble removing the bearing buddy I wouldn't get into the bearing itself, and if your bearing buddy works you don't have to pack the bearing. The buddy keeps a fresh supply of grease moving through it all the time, if you keep the spring compressed with fresh grease. :)

Many of us who use our trailers hard (not just boat trailers) inspect, repack, and adjust the bearings once or twice a year. It beats sitting along side the road somewhere doing trailer repairs. Now a good set of bearings, properly packed, if no water gets into them, and if you're lucky can last a long time but, as Dirty Harry Callahan said. "Do you feel lucky?" As to Bearing Buddys. Trailer Buddys, etc.: These additions allow you to fill the hubs completely with grease and a spring in the "Buddy" will exert a slight pressure on the grease and keep out unwanted water. Very handy! However, they do NOT circulate fresh grease to the bearing. The bearing runs in the same grease it was packed in until it is repacked. If it gets hot, and burns its grease it will fail. All the while being surrounded by all that extra grease in the hub. There are systems out there that inject grease into the rear bearing while venting grease out the front of the hub. These systems DO circulate grease through the bearings. Bearing Buddys do NOT.

Wow, that story didn't make my day! I dono my boat trailer is 15 years old, many salty dips, no repacking, just keep the buddys loaded, seems to be fine, must be magic or something.

You're living on borrowed time Reel Easy. Best of luck! If all you do is trailer back and forth from your house to the ramp, fine. The worst case scenario would be you burn out your bearing somewhere in between home and the ramp, no big deal. If you trailer a long distance it ain't much fun breaking down in the middle of nowhere.

Simple repack maybe??!!! , upon inspection you will be surprised.[:0] Check them, Fix them...'You can Pay me now or Pay me later' as the saying goes....I know some that have lost the tire [xx(]You don't want that! trust me! ... thought all they had to do was grease it. They were quite sure it would never come off (the whole thing). My recommendation would be to learn a proper 'repack/inspection procedure' for your trailer. Pay someone thats willing/able to do it right,Then watch ,learn, Be Careful. Do It ! At least Once per Yr. All the wheel bearing surfaces better be clean /shiny. You can't believe what that wild wheel all by itself can get up to[:I]

Several years ago a good friend of mine was nearly killed while riding his motorcycle on the intestate in Wyoming, and spent months in the hospital after colliding with a broken-off trailer tire. The tire crossed the median at approimately 70 mph. One more: About three years ago a woman was nearly hit by a broken-off trailer tire while walking on a popular walking/biking path 50 yards from Denvers' southern beltway, C470. It missed her but killed her baby that was in the stroller she was pushing. Bearing failures aren't always just an inconvenience.

http://www.bearingbuddy.com

If you go to this url you will find that bearing buddies prevent wheel bearing failure and eliminates bearing repacking. I don’t know where you got your degree in bearing greasing but it was a waste of time and money. The guy that used them for 15 years without a problem isn't using magic, just bearing buddies with a good grease.

http://www.bearingbuddy.com

If you go to this url you will find that bearing buddies prevent wheel bearing failure and eliminates bearing repacking. I don’t know where you got your degree in bearing greasing but it was a waste of time and money. The guy that used them for 15 years without a problem isn't using magic, just bearing buddies with a good grease.

I check and top up my buddies with Lucas grease as needed. I know the back seals which aren't even a year old as I type this are "weak" and allow grease to slip through. You can see this as my wheels have a lovely colour too them. I my way of thing thinking, if I top up the buddies, the grease has to go somewhere, and in do so continually adds "fresh" to the bearings. Oh, I also stop, check (touch) my bearings on long trips and always carry a full kit to change a tire, and both bearings should bad things happen.

Very best,

Ian

I check and top up my buddies with Lucas grease as needed. I know the back seals which aren't even a year old as I type this are "weak" and allow grease to slip through. You can see this as my wheels have a lovely colour too them. I my way of thing thinking, if I top up the buddies, the grease has to go somewhere, and in do so continually adds "fresh" to the bearings. Oh, I also stop, check (touch) my bearings on long trips and always carry a full kit to change a tire, and both bearings should bad things happen.

Very best,

Ian

quote:I don’t know where you got your degree in bearing greasing but it was a waste of time and money.

It never ceases to amaze me that insecure people get so upset whenever they hear an opinion that is different than their own. As a reminder: I never said Bearing Buddies don’t work, only that they don’t circulate grease through the bearings. I pull my boat trailer several thousand miles a year and CHOOSE to do annual inspection/repack for my own peace of mind. It’s a pain in the a** and takes me all day but I feel better knowing I’ve Inspected the bearings and replaced the seals. Do with your trailer(s) as you wish. Of course.

Back