BC Wolf Cull

I'm undecided on the wolf cull... I think in certain places its a good thing probably but how expensive is it??

The pro cull argument, as explained is that us humans have contriubuted in creating an ideal environment for wolfs to flourish in certain areas. We have made it easier for them to hunt which allows for stronger, healthier packs. So the cull would be an attempt to regulate the imbalance that has been created. Wolves can take out a cow moose no problem with or without a healthy population, they can kill bears.
I'm not sure what you don't understand? Comparing humans to wolves has me confused?

Hambone,
I think the point Riverboy was trying to make was that some people on here were trying to justify the cull on the basis of emotive reasoning. I.e. that wolves exhibited "blood lust" or killed in cruel ways. Almost as though wolves were bad or evil, and could or should have have ethics or moral judgement!
That view is just illogical. In nature among animals there is no cruelty, no morals, no ethics and certainly no god! Nature just IS. The wolves just do what they do like any predator, since they have to feed their families too.

In fact wolves are our friends and we are inextricably linked to them through social evolution. Thousands of years ago when humanity lived in wandering hunter gatherer groups a genetic trait in some wolves enabled them to come closer to human groups and perhaps scavenge. Eventually wolves were domesticated and they became joint partners with us in hunting prey. It has been proven that genetically, all modern dogs are descended from wolves. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origin_of_the_domestic_dog

There is also plenty of archeological evidence to indicate humanity would not have been so successful without the help of those early hunting wolf dogs. And of course there are many tribes and societies that still use hunting dogs and dogs for herding.

We need to examine our motives very closely before we go out and kill them. After all, it is we who have moral judgement, and a recorded memory of when wolves were our partners in the struggle for survival. Wolves don't!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Amazing how mentality and emotion and even finance has something to do with killing or culling as some call it. For example friends of mine have a lodge in rivers and there are wolves there that feed on the spawners.. Very cool, could attract all kinds of photographers/nature lovers to come to the lodge... Another group in the ownership wants to shoot them because they "may" attack someone??
So emotion, mentality and finance all play a role in whether these wolves will be watched, photographed or shot!!!

If we as humans control the game population as per hunting regs etc. you also must control the preditor population along with it. Case in point where we have property up north, 1 area had a high population of wolfs. In 1 specific small area there was a fairly large pack 8 animals. In this area for 3 years never saw a deer,moose or for that matter a cattle track. The ranch closest to this den/pack lost a few calves to the wolves. He hired a trapper to come in, he caught all but 1 of the wolves and i shot the last alfa male :) Went for a hike in that area in the spring, what did i find 8 different moose, fresh deer tracks and even cattle tracks! So yes we must control preditors along with the game animals to make things work.
Nice. Now thats something to be really proud of. Wiping out an entire wolf pack.Disgusting.

Ha ha your grasp of the situation is awesome. Yesterday at the cabin 5 fresh sets of tracks, hhhmmm wonder where they came from. During the hunting season saw 4 different sets of tracks in the same area. READ THE POST EINSTEIN, something about if we are regulating the game species ........ get it,probably not, last time I checked i think the regs say it is LEGAL to hunt wolves. I think i'll go hug a tree move over a little please :D

Oooooh, panic! - you better get them quickly then! Especially the alpha - this devil! And because everything that is legal is good, eh? Sad, sad.

Yes legal it is my friend just like the moose i shot too or is that also bad. This is fun I am really going to enjoy contributing to this thread. Keep em coming girls.

Hey Jackel...... I see you put out the poison bait and snare traps...looks like the bait is gone and the snares are full.... :)

Wasn't there an orca whale cull only about 50years ago?? Something like a machine gun on Quadra island, I'm not sure of the details. Let's get that program fired back up, those damn whales are eating all the salmon, especially those transients.

Its interesting reading these posts as it shows there is still a lot of people unsure if this. Its actually good it proves that most guys on here even hunters still do care for wildlife either way. This wont be easy for the government to carry out whichever way this turns out.

Yes, because the ones commenting have ZERO idea of the fundamental issues.

Not gonna read the whole thread it will be a predictable pissing contest. It seems to me though this is just another case of us meddling with natures plan and ******* up cycles that have been happenning foreve,r with the benefit of hindsight someday we will probably regret it.

Quite honestly nether me nor you or anyone on the forum has the scientific background to say anything. This about science nothing more. I said it before if enough research is done to support this theory than it should be done. But there should be a study also and how this happened and why so we can prevent it in future.

You may be right but frankly, but your not a scientist with a PHD that studies these animals, and either am I.

And you know who I am and what I do? I guess I better lock my door...

Your right, I'm not a scientist but I've heard MANY speak sitting at the same table where these decisions were being made; let's not start to call people out when you know nothing about them.

Their are a lot of "keyboard scientists and experts" on here.

And you know who I am and what I do? I guess I better lock my door...

Your right, I'm not a scientist but I've heard MANY speak sitting at the same table where these decisions were being made; let's not start to call people out when you know nothing about them.

Their are a lot of "keyboard scientists and experts" on here.

You left out bleeding hearts lol.

Its interesting reading these posts as it shows there is still a lot of people unsure if this. Its actually good it proves that most guys on here even hunters still do care for wildlife either way. This wont be easy for the government to carry out whichever way this turns out.

Im a little throw back by the "even hunters still do care for wildlife"

You are obviously not a hunter......

Hunters care more for wildlife then any other group period!

THis video says it all!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhcabnNjd1I

Lorne

i was just pointing out in YOUR comments, you were insinutating that hunters dont care for wildlife.

If thats not what you were trying to say i apologize, but im not sure how else to take......

"Its actually good it proves that most guys on here even hunters still do care for wildlife either way."

They are a project of Tides Canada. http://tidescanada.org/create-a-charitable-project/projects-a-z/

Summary of what they are working for.....

While this is a step forward in protecting B.C.’s endangered rainforest, significant gaps remain. Trophy hunting of grizzly bears, wolves and other large carnivores remain sanctioned by the provincial government, even in many of the recently announced conservancy areas. Clearcut logging of intact salmon supporting watersheds is still commonplace, and a lack of marine protected areas leave the coast exposed to open net cage salmon farms, and other abuses of the marine environment. Year after year, the reality of collapsing salmon stocks - the foundation species for life on the coast - becomes more apparent.

Well it's obvious that you won't support some of their work Sculpin, you must appreciate their fight against pipelines and tankers, fish farming, destruction of salmon watersheds.

http://pacificwild.org/site/about/tides-canada.html

Back