bass in the nanaimo area

JuBy

Hi there,

I just brought out the boat from its winter slumber and wanted to give quenell or holden lake a try and was wondering if anyone had any tips or advice to improve my odds?

cheers,

juby

Look for drop off near shallows and chuck a lip less crank bait. Whole sale sports carries the small rapala ones and they work great. Try the fire tiger one in quenell and gold and black as they should show up better in murky water. Also in the low light hours try top water, small prop baits can be killer if the fish are active. Soft plastics around the shore lines in 3-10' might pick up bass cruising around scouting a spawning area too, as the water gets closer to 60 degrees the bass will be moving in to the spawning grounds.

Look for drop off near shallows and chuck a lip less crank bait. Whole sale sports carries the small rapala ones and they work great. Try the fire tiger one in quenell and gold and black as they should show up better in murky water. Also in the low light hours try top water, small prop baits can be killer if the fish are active. Soft plastics around the shore lines in 3-10' might pick up bass cruising around scouting a spawning area too, as the water gets closer to 60 degrees the bass will be moving in to the spawning grounds.

X2. If you go the top water route both the Rebel and the hoola-popper are proven performers. I find the dark green and black "frog" patterns to be killers. Rapala Skitter pops are also good but are smaller and require lighter line to get distance on the casts. Depending on the weed situation lighter line isn't always preferable. Remember to check the regs too, bass season closes for spawning province wide for retention.

X2. If you go the top water route both the Rebel and the hoola-popper are proven performers. I find the dark green and black "frog" patterns to be killers. Rapala Skitter pops are also good but are smaller and require lighter line to get distance on the casts. Depending on the weed situation lighter line isn't always preferable. Remember to check the regs too, bass season closes for spawning province wide for retention.

Forgot about the old hoola popper! They are wicked but make sure you don't store them near any soft plastics cause it will eat the skirt on them. Also now that bass blaster refreshed my memory try the Fred arbogaust jitter bug and also heddon chug bug and Zara puppy. Explosive action!!!

Forgot about the old hoola popper! They are wicked but make sure you don't store them near any soft plastics cause it will eat the skirt on them....
I replaced the rubber skirts on my Hula Popper/Arbogast lures (and spinnerbaits/buzzbaits) with hootchies of whatever size.

The plastic used in hootchies stands up to abuse better than the rubber, the colours are better and the action not significantly different.

Forgot about the old hoola popper! They are wicked but make sure you don't store them near any soft plastics cause it will eat the skirt on them. Also now that bass blaster refreshed my memory try the Fred arbogaust jitter bug and also heddon chug bug and Zara puppy. Explosive action!!!

AAAHHHH! The classics!

Great idea about the hootchie tails too there DB. Never thought of that but it makes perfect sense.

Back