Bass fishing on easter weekend... too early?

E

elim

I'm planning to go bass fishing on easter weekend somewhere around southern vancouver island. I haven't decided where yet. Is it still too early for bass fishing?

I read that there are a good few places to go like Elk Lake, Quennell Lake and St Mary's lake. Anybody been there during Easter weekend? Please share some of your experience...

Thanks!

Sounds like you should be talking to BoyWonder He has quite a bit of Bass experiance. Also you should check out the thread titled "Langford Lake Bass Fishing" there are other threads you can check out too. I will copy and paste what BoyWonder had to say.... that will help you out a bit too. ...

Quote "I fish bass in langford every year. durin the cold fronts that we keep recieving the bass will tend to be dosile and not realy into moving far for food. I tend to use mostly soft plastics all year round especially when they arnt moving much in deeper water. the most common plastics i use are green pumpkin, watermellon, and black and black with red fleck tubes and worms from YUM. Mostly I rig them up carolina style or texas. for the slow periods carolina rigging for me tends to be the main producer. When the summer time comes around I will begin to bring out the spinner baits during the day as well as plastics and topwater for the early morning and dusk.

To answer your question about the guys ancored in langford they were most likely fishin chronamids for trout.

If you have any questions about that lake for bass or trout ill do my best to answer. ive fished it for about 8 years and ive done my homework on it. thanks..... BoyWonder"

And remember....Keep your tip up!!!

If you do head over to St Mary Lake the Cutts could be on a tear but I doubt many Bass would be biting, you never know though.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
freshwaterlagoonnuquicw3.jpg

Thanks all for the tips!

I'll be sure to post some pics (if I catch any) and report from my trip!

If you go to any of those lakes, you're going to find it slow and hard fishing. It will hurt more if you're not really familiar with the lake.
The past few years, the BC Open bass tournament has been held in early April on Shawnigan lake. Usually it's the guys who know Shawnigan lake and the 'hotspots' that do well. Any fish caught are generally going to be big tho!
But time spent fishing is time spent fishing! If you do it spread your time between trout and then maybe bass in midday. You will need to grab a good map of the lake and detail the areas that are underwater humps, points and steep drop off areas.
BTW I have caught my biggest trout in Elk and St Mary's while bass fishing!
If you do make a lake choice post it here again and I can give you a location or two if it's one of those three.

quennell should be kickin in to gear by then try soft plastics.if you have a boat try the north arm right tight against the bank .I used to live right on that end of the lake.we did well around easter black rubber worms size didnt seem to make much diff.Has some good size trout to if you troll from a bass spot drag a panther martin across to the next spot.good luck!

Back