Bass Fishing Nanaimo Area

Neavez

Hey guys, just wondering what bait or lures people are using to catch bass in Quesnel lake as well as Westwood lake this time of year? New too fishing and just trying to learn the area and different types of lures.

Thanks

Hey guys, just wondering what bait or lures people are using to catch bass in Quesnel lake as well as Westwood lake this time of year? New too fishing and just trying to learn the area and different types of lures.

Thanks

I would throw weightless senkos (Wholesale sports sells Yum Dingers, but there are lots of brands) I like rigged on a big EWG worm hook 4/0 for 4" worms, 5/0 for 5" worms. I also like to rig them wacky style (on a 1/0 circle hook, or octopus hook). Google fishign senkos weightless, its a lot of fun and a super productive technique to learn). Either way toss them in tight to docks, logs, rocks fish will pick them up when they fall. If not, leave them sit for up to 20seconds or so, then hop them a few feet, pause, repeat a few times, then recast.

Other good lures are topwater baits like skitter pops / skitter props, cast them into the shady areas tight to cover in the early AM, or late afternoon / early evening. The origional Floating Rapala minnow in the 5" model works great as well, toss it in, pop it, let it sit, then reel back in a herky-jerky motion. In the middle of the day, fish on the bottom with tube jigs on structure in open water (a sounder is a huge help here).

Hope that helps, good luck.
Adam

I've had great luck with weighted 1/0 worm hooks with a wacky rigged Havoc/Powerbait/Yum worm. My preferred color is Black with Blue, Red or Green fleck or the Watermelon with fleck ones work well too.

Also, as Adam said, Topwater baits in the early AM or Evenings work great and are a lot of fun.

Try fishing Long Lake. I usually head there 2-3 times a week in the early mornings or evenings and always catch a decent sized Smallie.

Have yet to try the Havoc stuff, have to give 'em a whirl. +1 for Long lake, lots of 3-4lb fish in there. I actually caught my personal best Smallmouth out there, was 25" long! In the 20+ years I have been fishing smallmouth since, I have never had any larger than 22-23" anywhere else (and only a couple that size). Just goes to show you, you just never know. :)

I prefer the Havoc over Powerbait worms as they are a lot more "life like" I guess you could say. They are a lot like a gummy worm compared to the Powerbait ones which are more expensive and more "stiff". Although, I have had good luck on both.

Back