Bamfield spring/summer reports 2010 - halis & spri

Status
Not open for further replies.
First day fishing on our one-month adventure at Ukee. Amphitrite Bank giving up LOTS of Kings. Mostly "teeners" but a few in the twenties. Seas are a bit too "snotty" for a flatlander like me but most, more seasoned boat crews seemed not to mind. We stayed out long enough to release a few and kill one for supper. Hoochies, spoons, & Tomics worked well. Didn't see anyone using bait (including me). Looking for a new crabbing site with the sanitary warning on in the inlet. First days set yielded multiple starfish, no crabs. Maybe tomorrow.

Fished all weekend with Osama. He is one hell of a guy and dialed in. If you need any knowledge of the west coast Vancouver Island hire him. Worth every penny.

Due to the fact the water was so snotty we fished the first day at South bank and limited on Hali and Springs. Mostly all teeners with a few 25's.

Day 2 was a little more work. Went to China creek and tried for sox's and picked up a beauty, they have slowed a bit. Then headed to south bank again landed a nice spring and a 25lbs hali. Finished off at 7 mile with the first Coho of the year.

Also heard Osama's whale of a story and made a new one for him.

Good times!!!

I will post some pics and a video if I can.

Cheers,
cm

boat-2.jpg

1 month in Ukee, wow, im wondering what i could do to keep myself entertained for maybe a week at most?? im hoping you dont turn into a Vampire becuase there isnt much sun there, lol, enjoy your time, crabs are getting way tougher to find agreed

Woodguy
Hali and Sox fish'n with Jeff all weekend, and you Managed to get up and go to work on Monday????

That must have been a whale of a tail.

quick trip to the nook, fished 2 days. morning July 22 limit of sox in one hour (less one}. afternoon at pinnacle rock caught 5 springs, 2 in low 20's, the rest high teeners {kept one}

day 2, 23rd, morning of sox, over in an hour. afternoon at edward king released 3 springs in the high teens. stopped to jig for cod and got one more spring on the jig.

back to the mountains with a cooler full of sox and one spring.

all springs on watermelon spoon 3.5, 6" leader ,except one on chartreuse/pink spinnow jig.

how do I post pics?:)

How fast are you you guy's trolling with a six foot leader with your spoons ?.

Which coyote spoons are working the best this year do you guys think ?

1) Green and white coyote
2) Water Melon coyote
3) Cop Car coyote

and what size working the best ?

Not using spoons much, but hear the water melon has been working well. As for speed, from what I know, it really depends on current. Watch it in the water before you drop it down, and pick the action you think looks best. Between 1-3knots me thinks.

6' leader, behind a flasher?

Are all the sockey in the inlet now? geezzz, if it weren't for my family reunion I'd be out there... not for another week or two. (sigh!!)

Just got back from inside the Sound, limit of springs (25 the biggest and several teens) but tough fishin compared to other times, limits of prawns (many were big jumbo's) and finished the trip off with a limit of socks on the way back to Port. Springs were anywhere from 35 to 130 ft.

Home a day early. Due to limits had by all. All in the high teens biggest being 28. Lost a huge one right at the boat. Over 30 for sure the fuker was huge.

fished inside (Swale and Kirby to Edward King) Saturday morning...very slow. Only saw 1 fish hooked and it spat the hook at them right at the net (Kirby). We lost one nice one beside the boat and kept 1 small one for the bbq.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back