Bamfield Reports - Spring

Finished Business

Not trying to make a 'sticky' thread, but the fall and winter thread is closed, so I need somewhere to detail my report!

Spent the last 5 days in and around Bamfield...we were the only souls on the water with a rod in the drink...the weather wasn't to kind (but it wasn't to bad either). Had some awesome hours of fishing under the sun in T-shirts, as well as being locked to the dock becuase of 100km hour winds...it was pretty wild stuff....saw some snow, lots of rain, some sun, lil' bit o' hail....the whole mixed bag.

Onto the fishing...we didn't run our lures into many big fish, but we managed to keep the rod active and brought about a dozen to the boat of legal size...unfortuneatly few in my opinion were worth mention, but we did manage to tag into a PIG during the nite bite saturday evening...opted for a fish between 630 and 830pm saturday night. got a couple to the boat before the sun fell and as we were about to pack up.....SMASH!! The pin pops and we have something worth talking about on the line! It was no Tyee, but this fish peeled line a half dozen times...it was a friends first time fishing salmon agressively and he was the lucky one to grab the rod...****...eating...grin! awesome.....UNFORTUNATLY we left the large net at the dock and only had a smaller net with us. Got it beside the boat....but that was it....an effort was made with the net (prob should have grabbed the gaff instead) but it fell short and the fish boogied away with his dignity, and our lure...lol.
HELL off a good time fishing salmon these few days...didn't get our chance to get out for a halibut, and had a hard time sitting ontop of a reef to jig for cod because of the wind....

Prawning sucked for us lol...not to sound bitter but 3 or 4 pulls with 2 traps on the string yielded maybe 2 dozen prawns over this period. Talked to a fella at the gas dock and he said prawning has been no good since the commi's came in and dredged the Sound of bugs. We were prawning off the Bam wall 250-320'....ran into some of those slime eels....goddamn they are unpleasent!!

Crabbing started slow for us, worked Brady's for a day with nothing more than a redrock or two (between 4 traps)...Grappler yeilded a few dungies....but the most productive was right in Bam inlet...where we had a couple nice pulls of dungies and redrock...

All and all the three of us on board were very happy with the results...probalby becasue we had such a damn good time!
Everyone in town was as usual VERY helpful, on-call gas dock service, Gerry from MILLS going the extra mile, and helping us get power to the dock at Imperial...Don was out of town and without that service it would have been a cold stay, thanks very much for that!

ALWAYS looking forward to my next trip. Thanks for the read...

Nick -FB-

OH....during the early morning and late evening fish we were quite successful with 11" glow dummies at the ball, with 8" glow flashers leading the glow copcar TKO spoon....

Mid day we used (purple UV flashers), UV coho killers with good success (greens n purples) and after finding a few bellies full of needlefish, we switched over to the UV jellyfish needlefish hoochie with a few small red beads infront of the hook....really preffered running two rods above dummy flashers, rather than dealing with 4 rods...will most likely run that system more and more....

TIGHT LINES

Awesome early report FB. Now get your azz over to the AAB site as I set you up big time in the new members section. You better show up!!!

Very cool to here you made it out West early. Sounds like you had a great time. Cool you got into some fish.

Cheers,
John

Last edited by a moderator:
Pub and hotel runnign all summer in bamfield

The properties of Hawkeye Marine Group are currently being renovated so that over half of them will be occupied and sustainable within 3 months time. The Trails Lodge and the Hawkeyes nest Pub will be open full time for the peak season under a confident and successful management team, the remaining properties will be restored and developed thereafter in respect to a plan that is shared by the OCP (Bamfield Official Community Plan). Mr Jack Purdy has become a involved community member and is hopeful of a resolution in the interests of the Bamfield community, its organizations and it business's. Help support this opportunity and share in its growth.

informed citizen of Bamfield BC

Awesome early report FB. Now get your azz over to the AAB site as I set you up big time in the new members section. You better show up!!!

Very cool to here you made it out West early. Sounds like you had a great time. Cool you got into some fish.

Cheers,
John

Still trying to figure out how y'all find the time to operate on so many boat/fishing related forums John, but I will get there, rest assured! I will do my best to get on board today or tommorrow...need to play catch-up on some work first lol.

happy to have started my season off as well as we did, looking forward to the first real chance for some Hali once this weather becomes a little more predicatable...if that is possible!

The properties of Hawkeye Marine Group are currently being renovated so that over half of them will be occupied and sustainable within 3 months time. The Trails Lodge and the Hawkeyes nest Pub will be open full time for the peak season under a confident and successful management team, the remaining properties will be restored and developed thereafter in respect to a plan that is shared by the OCP (Bamfield Official Community Plan). Mr Jack Purdy has become a involved community member and is hopeful of a resolution in the interests of the Bamfield community, its organizations and it business's. Help support this opportunity and share in its growth.

informed citizen of Bamfield BC

Yar Burn....it wasn't you or your crew that boated out in a 16' ALU to offer a sales pitch to us sunday night was it??

We got a real kick out of seeing someone come out to shoot the ****, and wrap it up with a quick sales pitch to the pub!! We would have stopped in, but you had said off-season hours were friday and saturday, but the pitch was on sunday! A real hoot and for the efforts those put forward to come out and chat with us, we will definately stop in next time around!

Still chuckling a little about that!

Cheers!!

FB

I'm really looking forward to my annual trip to Mills with Kildonan Apr 13-16. Gerry is a first class guy and I can't wait to see the new walk-in freezer and the other additions to Mills. It's always a great time in Bamfield fishing and spending time with Osama and Jodi. And a new pub, that's interesting too! I hope it doesn't take away from the afternoon "Beers on the Boardwalk" with the locals though...
Can't wait to get there!
Big.

I'm really looking forward to my annual trip to Mills with Kildonan Apr 13-16. Gerry is a first class guy and I can't wait to see the new walk-in freezer and the other additions to Mills. It's always a great time in Bamfield fishing and spending time with Osama and Jodi. And a new pub, that's interesting too! I hope it doesn't take away from the afternoon "Beers on the Boardwalk" with the locals though...
Can't wait to get there!
Big.

Brian?......

Back