Bamfield spring/summer reports 2010 - halis & spri

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pardon my lack of knowledge on certain spots...but where is the whistle bouy? Is it the bouy by Seapool rocks?
Thx
Mike

Any springs being caught along the wall? Also, heard there were a few nice sized halibut caught at Meares Bluff area. Is the prawning still any good?

quote:Originally posted by millsy

pic_Andrew.jpg

Here's a pic of my son Andrew with his first salmon. He got it to the boat mostly by himself and it took three good runs on him. He learned quick about the knucklebuster, and let it peel line like he knew what he was doing. When we got back to the dock he was so proud, he had to show it to everybody that was there and tell them that he caught it. When we got home he called some of his friends to tell them about it, and now we have 18 people coming over tomorrow night for a feast to eat this fish (planned by him!!). Needless to say I'm going to have to up the menu, but man I never could have imagined the impact that catching a 12 lb chinook could have on a kid. Take your kids fishing boys, the future of our fishery lies in experiences like this one.

Fishing report:

We had 5 on in 90 minutes out at the Whistlebuoy, one was a doubleheader at 70 and 120 too, so they were spreadout pretty good. The rest came from close to the bottom and were full of needlefish.
We got them on a needlefish hootchy and anchovies. Good times out there right now, lot's of salmon around, not huge but lot's of gas in the tank and they sure fight well for the size of them. Hali's have been cooperating too, Osama's slayfest is continuing. We're going on a big hali hunting trip this weekend with 3 boats, and there's room for one more if anyone is up for joinging us.

-millsy

Great pic millsy. Jake and I will be doing the Andrew thumbs up from now on when we post photo's. Tell him he started a new WCVI moto:D.

"I'm not talkin bout pleasure boatin or day sailin......I'm talkin bout workin for a livin"- Captain Quint

Will be there tomorrow morning:D Got two newbies from the interior coming.Should be good times,Hopefully not too much of a "chum fest"

No place I would rather be (FISH ON)

Got up at 4:00 this morning and was thinking of heading back down the inlet for some Sockeye, but decided to head to Pill Point instead for the 5:00 tide change. Had a quick 6 springs to the boat, released 2 and kept 4. Then back to the Nook for breakfast, good way to start the trip.

BT

Hey Millsy, We didn't see anything big, these were around 10 lbs, but we were only there for about 40 minutes. All on an Army Truck hootchie at 120 ft. Going back tonight with the kids. Great pic of your son with his fish, that's awesome.

Hey Fog Ducker - Do you run your boat to the Nook or trailer it? Just curious as we got the same boat and are considering a trip to the Nook this month.

follow the commercial boats out 5 mile, past turtle head 160' sounder none stop with springs. bellies full of needle fish. Army truck monday, next day only white right on bottom. Bite shuts off after noon. Both days limits in a couple of hours. Had three fish on at one point, two to the boat.
Water rough but doable in large boat. not really worth having more than one line on downrigger as only bottom rod was active.
Weather is biggest factor. Storms still coming in.
Hope this helps.
\\\\

Of the salmon we caught they were well mixed in size. Nothing real big.
Good size for the bbq.
Didn't see any coho.
22 commercial boats didn't slow down the fishing either

quote:Originally posted by yo mama

Can anyone fill me in on the cell phone reception in Bamfield and offshore? Any at all?
If you can see Mt Ozzard in Ucluelet or Mt Blenham in Bamfield,you're going to get pretty good cel coverage.
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back