Bamfield, Sept 5th & 6th

Striper Sniper

Hi, I am booked for Bamfield for Sept 5th / 6th and while I expect the Coho fishing should be good, are there still many big Chinook in the area at that time of year? Striper Sniper

We fish the second week of September every year,and its like anywhere else, sometimes we get a lot of beer drinking done.The wall is usaually pretty good.The past few years have been all right with someone in the party getting one or two over 30.Purple haze and army truck colours work very well.DAN

Thanks Dan, I will also be out there July 25th and Aug 15th but I have never fished Bamfield that late before. Sounds promising.... Striper Sniper

You might be best served to fish closer to P. Alberni at that time of year. There is a reason that Lone Tree, Polly Point and the China Creek area get jammed up with boats on the Labour Day weekend! That said, I have caught a couple of nice springs, in the 15-20 pound range, off Pill Point third week of September. The only Coho I found last year in Sept were offshore!

Results from LAST September:

10 Sep - off Lone Tree 24-pounder
11 Sep - Pill point 20-pounders X 2
14 Sep - Pill Point, Swale Rock, Wall skunked
15 Sep - 25 miles offshore 4 Chinook, 4 Coho, 1 hali
25 Sep - 7-mile, Beale, Kirby, the Wall, Pill Point, Lone Tree - nada

But remember, last year was a very bad year for salmon. I have even had reports from American colleagues in California that they saw very very few fish last year.

I'm headed that way mid july any tips are appreciated
as last year I nearly got skunked in ukee
on my one trip of the year

You'll be fine. We've fished Barkley Sound on those dates for the past 5 years and done very well on big Chinooks.

Thanks to all, looks promising. Striper Sniper

Lot's of really good reports and predictions this year for the Bamfield area. Has anyone heard this as well?? I hope it is we are heading up August 18th.

quote:Originally posted by Intrepid

You might be best served to fish closer to P. Alberni at that time of year. There is a reason that Lone Tree, Polly Point and the China Creek area get jammed up with boats on the Labour Day weekend! That said, I have caught a couple of nice springs, in the 15-20 pound range, off Pill Point third week of September. The only Coho I found last year in Sept were offshore!

Results from LAST September:

10 Sep - off Lone Tree 24-pounder
11 Sep - Pill point 20-pounders X 2
14 Sep - Pill Point, Swale Rock, Wall skunked
15 Sep - 25 miles offshore 4 Chinook, 4 Coho, 1 hali
25 Sep - 7-mile, Beale, Kirby, the Wall, Pill Point, Lone Tree - nada

But remember, last year was a very bad year for salmon. I have even had reports from American colleagues in California that they saw very very few fish last year.

I've fished out of China Creek from 2000-2005 over the Labour Day long weekend. Every time we gave Alberni Inlet a try but ended up running down to Barkley Sound and did FAR better than the boats who stayed in Alberni Inlet.

We've since abandoned Alberni inlet and fish those dates out of Ucluelet. No regrets at all.

quote:Originally posted by teamchachi
I've fished out of China Creek from 2000-2005 over the Labour Day long weekend. Every time we gave Alberni Inlet a try but ended up running down to Barkley Sound and did FAR better than the boats who stayed in Alberni Inlet.

We've since abandoned Alberni inlet and fish those dates out of Ucluelet. No regrets at all.

Far Better?? Dunno 'bout that one...
I fish both the Inlet, the Sound and outside at that time of year. If you happen to have them dialed in, the inner Inlet is THE</u> place for the first-light bite, then wander down to the Sound (if required).

Striper: You'll do just fine on big springs that time of year. Last year, over 55,000 springs rolled through the counters in the flow the first week of October :D

Cheers,
Nog

Have fished that time period (from the first day after Labour Day for 5 days) since September of 1979 , never came home skunked ; some variations in size but otherwise a productive and most enjoyable time .
Have a beer in the Hawks Nest for me , I have not been active on this site for awhile as my wife has been in the Hospital for over 3 weeks and her recovery may be longer , my summer fishing is in doubt , but there are priorities at home that must be attended to.

Cheers

AL

Hey Alley Cat, I will have one for you, thanks for the post, Striper Sniper

quote:Originally posted by IronNoggin

Far Better?? Dunno 'bout that one...
I fish both the Inlet, the Sound and outside at that time of year. If you happen to have them dialed in, the inner Inlet is THE</u> place for the first-light bite, then wander down to the Sound (if required).

Striper: You'll do just fine on big springs that time of year. Last year, over 55,000 springs rolled through the counters in the flow the first week of October :D

Cheers,
Nog

Yes, I'd say that "far better" is accurate. We outfished the vast majority of the China Creek fleet who stuck around and fished the inlet. I realize that you guide the area, so I suppose I could be full of crap, but that has been our experience.

To me, the inlet is either hot or its dead. Fishing out in Barkley is much more consistent in my experience over the long weekend.

...I realize that you guide the area, so I suppose I could be full of crap, but that has been our experience.

LOL! :D Wasn't at all suggesting you're full of crap there Cachi.
The inner Inlet is something of what I term a "technical" fishery as apposed to the Sound. Out in the Sound, nearly anything works, and the fish will often bite all day. The inner Inlet on the other hand, you need to be fairly dialed in on what to use, right depth, and it is usually only "On" for the first couple of hours at daybreak. As a consequence, most folks will find the fishing outside to be comparatively consistent over the Inlet. But, once you do have them dialed in, 20 plus fish mornings happen often enough inside to wear the label "consistent" imho.

Hope you're getting into a few!

Cheers,
Nog

Hi Guys, I'm heading up to Bamfield July 25-30 I heard 7 mile bank is the place to be that time of year for Springs Coho and Halibut is this true or am I better off fishing the inside at that date?
Thanks Steve41[8D]

Noggin is right on the money,the relatives live in Port,used to go fishing labour day weekend with the brother in law and uncle,it definately is a much different fishery,and crack of dawn is the best.I just can't stand getting run over by some of the boats,so I don't go anymore,getting old I guess. DAN

quote:Originally posted by danthewire

...I just can't stand getting run over by some of the boats,so I don't go anymore... DAN

LOL! aYup, especially during Derby Daze!! Landed nine in the first hour of the opening day of the Derby last year, all well within sight of town, and all right smack in the middle of the traffic jam [:eek:)]
Helps to be somewhat aggressive when you've got one on, and of course one eye out for all those who fall into the "Any Fool With Money" catagory out there. Definitely adds to the excitement level!!

Cheers,
Nog

Back