Bamfield Poett Nook Reports Spring/Summer 2012

We got soaked by the monsoons as well..EVERYTHING was soaked... fishing was good though..fished Kirby on saturday from all day..1 hatch coho and 3 hatch springs and one wild spring... biggesr being 15lbs...we were palnning to stay until sunday aswell but made a run for it sat afternoon..
At least we weren't the only ones getting soaked :). Adversity does make for some great memories (especially fishing :)

You should carry a copy of that with you on any of the 5 sounds you happen to be in (-just in case there is a discussion). It's amazing what some people think are the rules-and you aren't always dealing with a full-time DFO guy-still pays to have it in writing-and pictures!!!!

Dfo will gladly email you the all required pdf's and maps , closed areas etc...

Patti there is very accommodating , will explain any thing you may not understand , in full detail , free of charge, most people i have recommended to call them , have thanked me , its ALOT of info for novice fisherman , or guys fishing a new area..
, once all info in front of you , print it all off , keep em in your boat , trailer whatever,,,

whatever works for ya i guess , if ya ask nicely , they may even give ya a report or 2 as well : )

I highly recommend calling !! Theres ALOT to know in our area , i see guys makin mistakes far too often , KNOW YOUR REGS boys...

1-250-720-4440

fd

good advice fd - the phone call can clear up any questions...as I remember calling the dfo after I had just released a coho I could've kept...argh.
Dfo will gladly email you the all required pdf's and maps , closed areas etc...

Patti there is very accommodating , will explain any thing you may not understand , in full detail , free of charge, most people i have recommended to call them , have thanked me , its ALOT of info for novice fisherman , or guys fishing a new area..
, once all info in front of you , print it all off , keep em in your boat , trailer whatever,,,

whatever works for ya i guess , if ya ask nicely , they may even give ya a report or 2 as well : )

I highly recommend calling !! Theres ALOT to know in our area , i see guys makin mistakes far too often , KNOW YOUR REGS boys...

1-250-720-4440

fd

Just returned from two days out at bamfield in my 18' runabout. Sheets of rain and some chop made it hard to see the gill net floats out there. Quite a few deadheads too, I gotta start carrying some nails, hammer and some line floats to mark em when I come across the bad ones. A family friend lost his whole family to a collision w a deadhead back in the 60's. It was a fast fiberglass boat, and it must have sank real quick.
We launched at clutsi around 8, so by the time we got out the sockey bite must have passed as few people were catching. We ran out to bamfield and fished the wall and had luck with glow splatter back needlefish and small blue or white/green spoons. Our rods with anchovies didn't get anything, surprisingly. We were running 5.5" chovies, and the bait we saw on the surface seemed smaller than that, so we switched to the small spoons and started getting hookups. A coolant issue developed with my inboard so we didn't go fish anywhere else. I'd say by our luck and the by he boats around us, it was slow fishing. Might be the low pressure system?

Booked in for Tuesday and Wednesday nights at Seabeam, going to spend 50/50 time on Salmon and bottom fish. Give us a shout if you are out there, my brother and I will be in a Malibu185, green top.

we fished pill pt sunday and monday and did very well . We limited out Sunday on Springs Monday we were shy on one spring but were able to land 6 sockeyes. We were using anchovies and green and white hoochies. Tried the green coyote spoons ...all forms and for some reason nothing, so we decided to change them out for sockeye gear at 30 ft, and that was quite fun, suprised the heck out of me kinda wishing we had targeted them sooner.

Back from a couple of days in Bamfield. Pretty much same report as everyone elses: lots of action from smaller fish. Best depth that worked for us 90 to 110 bait was ok, needle fish glow hootchies were the ticket behind green hotspots.
couple of pics

going offshore on friday
IMG_5840.jpg

guess who
IMG_5839.jpg

beautiful country out there
IMG_5806.jpg

IMG_5823.jpg

cheers

Nice pic's man!. Friday sure was a hell of a lot nicer water conditions than Saturday!!!

Yes it is beautiful country and I never take it for granted. Awesome place we live.

Cheers,
John

Last edited by a moderator:
We got back monday from 3 days down in Julia. Friday was a great day and awesome fishing around Vernon bay.
Saturday and Sunday was just miserable, but we toughed it out for the most part.
Came back with limits of cookie cutter springs 10- 18lbs
Coyote spoons green and silver and glow worked for us between 90 feet and 140

We got back monday from 3 days down in Julia. Friday was a great day and awesome fishing around Vernon bay.
Saturday and Sunday was just miserable, but we toughed it out for the most part.
Came back with limits of cookie cutter springs 10- 18lbs
Coyote spoons green and silver and glow worked for us between 90 feet and 140

Good to hear the fishing was better than the weather. Did you give the Hali a try?

Good to hear the fishing was better than the weather. Did you give the Hali a try?

Hi Ray
No one...well except me wanted to sit on the back of the boat jigging in those winds and rains...

....actually after 10 minutes I had enough too!
Saturday no seasick pills but sunday I admitted defeat!

17 springs in 4 days, limited to fishing from Bamfield to Nanat (due to engine acting up and not willing to take a chance) but it was Fantastic
Stayed on boat at Poets Nook and fished in the morning, back for lunch , then a nap , then go fishing again then back for some more grub and bed time to get ready and do it all again the next day .... What a life eh !
People are Fantastic at Poets Nook except no one will give you a good lingcod location LOL.
Doing it again next year hopfully with a new 200HP HO ETEC so I can head to the good fishing grounds
O ya only brought 4 of the bigest home with me.

see you all thurs til tues!!! thanks again american hatcheries. last trip was 90% clipped reds, biggest was 22!! had four one morning all over 18!!! fathers day derby was a blast at harrisons!!! where else can you golf off a floating lodge?!! looking forward to july 1 weekend.. party time fishn in red and whites!! we will be in bamfield this trip.. see on the water, hopefully hit the big bank..

Hey all I was wondering how far out I'd have to go for some bottom fish already have my limit of sox for the year anwell trying for some white meat well any bottom fish spent 8hrs yesterday the 23rd at effingham and cree islands to get one small ling an cpl released canaries what is it I'm doing wrong have salmonbellies whole herring on a troll tried mudracmer was good tides as it looked to me.so I'm gonna head out again in the am an I'm looking for some pointers or a guide that will come on my boat an bring me out I have a 28 foot 672 Campion explorer 5.7liter mercruiser pm me guides if interested ill pay good an well be leaving port albernk to head out thecanal please I know this is short notice and I hope someone interested in this offer pm me.

Gave up on the Sox at about 10am Saturday ran out to the sound. Swung into Kirby for a couple tacks on the way out for some Hali fishing. No Joy for us but we did see a couple netted. Pulled the pin and headed for last years new favorite spot for Halibut. Sat on the hook for three hours and managed 1 yellow eye and 1 smallish Hali. Weather started moving in so we pulled the pin and headed back. It was a nice weather window for most of Saturday and was not a total loss as we got a little white meat,and more importantly had a good day with friend and family.

A note to the A-Hole in the24- 27 foot Bayliner cruiser that came full tilt crossing with in 25 feet of my anchor float. If you are reading this, It is a big ocean you had tons of room.If you do it again you will find yourself taking fire and that's all I have to say about that.

Heading to Bamfield on July 16th for 4 days. Save some fish for the rest of us please.

Just got back from a quick 2 day bamfield banger. Hopped the first ferry from the mainland in the AM and fished saturday from 11 until 5 or 6, or until we got tired of weeding through the 10 lbers looking for something bigger. I didn't make it for the morning fish, but the boat was on the water getting things warmed up prior to my arrival, and of course, netting the biggest fish of the weekend at 23 lbs. Saturdays overall take was 2 shy of limit for our boat ranging from 10 to the latter 23. We hooked into well over a 15 fish which were set free, to fight another day. We spent most of our time pilaging Kirby, with a half hearted effort mid-day at 7 mile bank for some flatties which proved fruitless.
Sunday, the skies cleared and seas siezed to a muted calm. We decided to give Kirby another run for it's money. It was a little slower but still productive. We hooked into a half dozen fish in the first hour an a half, boating 2 and releasing the rest. Sizes were a little smaller today, with a few coho showing up at the end of our lines. With slow production inshore we made a move for the great beyond. Keeping the lines down, we trolled west and managed to spark a nice take just off the point opposite Beale (the name escapes me), but it managed to spit at us, 20 yards off the stern. Undeterred, the gear came up, and out we went. It was flat calm and we made our way to 25 mile bank, hoping for a halibut. We trolled large glow spoons on glow flashers for a few hours, almost frustrated by the consistant action of springs and coho at 200'. We boxed a few for our troubles and after that we made our push in. Still wanting some white meat in the cooler, we swung into one of our many ;) ling holes and managed to pick up a 75cm in short order, before heading back to the launch in Bamfield.
Aside from the fantastic fishing, and weather sunday, it was a family affair as highlights we're seeing the cpt's 2yr old land his first coho. Dad gave some rod support and Jr. played it like a pro, releasing it to swim on. As well, Grandpa, at 81, joined the 2 day hunt and showed me a thing or two, bringing up 3 ling cod and a few black and yellow cod before I could put one of anything on the line. It was a treat seeing an old pro work cod on the Islander.
Saw some forum folks on the water which was great, Dak, and Kelly's buddy JP, who seemed to be keeping his clients happy with a multitude of cleaning at the table. We got a glimps of his boat WOT offshore and gatdamn that 300 purrs, and damn near flys!

All and all, another great stop to heaven on earth, aka Bamfield :)

Back