Bamfield Poett Nook Reports Spring/Summer 2012

damn kelly. you always have such great photos. the 'perfect moment' shots. looks like things are going pretty crazy over....choked I will be missing out on 2 trips to the sound in June :( keep the pictures coming guys!

Nice to see a few guys there-man it was hot-Guess I saw you Kelly and Jac-never knew it was you guys at the time. I was in the green and white podded Orca. Fishing was very good-Had lots of action to test the LED lights I wanted-and was able to run a good control against them. #3.5 or 4 green and glow coyote was great as was anchovy. The LED hoochys were hands down winners early morning and late evening and when you went below 100 (not necessary this trip). At medium depths when the sun was hi they were no match for the anchovy or glo green coyote. We tapped into30 + fish over Sun and mon. Gave up on flashers Monday morning-had a great time and even saw a very very large Spring take a crew man to the kelp and rocks and rub him off. Thus endith the lesson!!! Will post pics in an hour or 2 as soon as the boats unloaded. Watch out for the gill netters-looks like it could be as bad as last year. Will post a separate thread for the LED tests.

On smaller fish its often just easier than messing around with a net. Some guys are natural killers with the gaff (Not me) and make it look easy. Bobber Jon didn't even have a net aboard this weekend.

Most commercial guys do that, its alot easier to release or keep the fish, plus west coast your playing alot more fish y bring the net out if you dont have to. I'm no pro at it but some friends of mine thats all they do is use the gaff. They grab the line give it a love tap on the top of there head to Stun them and bring em in

Gaff = blood and guts all over the place! No need to bleed the fish, just into the box. Don't have to untangle the gear from the net, = more fishing time when the bite is on.
Fishing is just crazy in the harbor. No need to even go past Aguilar Point.
I'm sure you could troll a cigarette butt behind a flasher and catch a fish right now.
This is not just in Bamfield but a few other places in the sound as well.

Bamfeild harbor fishing was unreal our biggest was 20lbs but another guy we were fishing with got a 24. We fished Kirby and effingham and nothing was as near as good as the harbor and also has some great action late afternoon. Spoons and bait worked for us put 40+ fish in the boat and lost at least 5 mid teens near or at the boat. Best June trip of my life only can hope that the fish are here for years to come. Spring fever Yes saw you in the green and white orca I didn't know it was you if boat it sounds like you did great also.

"Gaff = blood and guts all over the place! No need to bleed the fish, just into the box. Don't have to untangle the gear from the net, = more fishing time when the bite is on."

Second that! Also way easier to release a fish just position the hook in the fish to make contact with gaff hook and invert the leader and fish is released.Back in the water and back in ther game!

Your pictures are unreal Kelly, really makes things come alive! Wish I was fishing the WCVI these days - can't wait!

I promised a few shot after I got home from bamfield last night. I'm afraid I am not the photographer that Kelly is and I seem to gravitate to the dead fish-spontaneous guy standing there holding them-type pose. However to document what was an epic testing event for LED hootchies-we couldn't have wanted a better 2 days and water conditions. Hit well over 30 plus fish and really came home a day early because we didn't want to increase mortality. We kept fish that were badly hooked to fill our limit so these were not necessarilly the biggest fish although for the most part the fish were in the teens. We did have a very very large spring on close to the rocks and weeds-unfortunatly the rodman was not particularly experienced and the fish got him into the weeds(kelp?) and rocks-and that ended that 10 min fight. LED test results in another thread if interested.

Attachments

• 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 179
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 161
Wow Kelly love that pic I will shot you a pm today and maybe I get get you to email me that one. Can't beat fishing I flat calm water in the harbor getting double headers. Thanks for the pic and nice meeting you maybe Seeya on the water next year!

Wow Kelly love that pic I will shot you a pm today and maybe I get get you to email me that one. Can't beat fishing I flat calm water in the harbor getting double headers. Thanks for the pic and nice meeting you maybe Seeya on the water next year!
JAC that's quite the boat you have. What type is it? We watched one guy in your boat fight a fish in front of Kirby for about 10 minutes on Friday (we were in the green hourston - 2 guys jigging with life jackets on :). Good to see you guys had fun! We came home with a couple.

post from another thread....

Great trip to Bamfield -lots of fish so I was able to get the objective testing I wanted with a control to fish the LED hootchies against. Let me say off the bat-they won't make a poor fisherman great- but they will give a good fisherman a very useful tool to make him better. The control lures were an anchovy-61/2 ft tie-green OKI flasher -and a 4.0 green glow coyote-60 inch tie-same flasher. We established very early that either of these combinations would take fish-obtaining double headers at times-in depths from 47ft to 89 ft. Next we tried the LED hootchy against either one or the other. During the day (sunny) the LED fished at the same depths did not distinguish itself-in fact it did no better than an ordinary glow hootchy at those depths. We stepped into deeper water-fishing 140 ft and the LED was picking up fish at the rate of the control.

Evening-now we could see the LED winking very clearly on the surface before being put down-this was 1 hour before sunset and the LED was far superior to either control and always took the biggest and last fish of the evening. This scenerio played out the same in the morning This is exactly the way things worked in Mexico as well!! First and last light plus deep-below a 100 ft seems to be it's place. Mid depths in bright sunlight-there are better things to fish.

The best set-up for the hootchy is a cuttlefish in the same pattern as the hootchy you would choose and the LED closest to that colour or white.The easiest hook set-up was a single large 6/0 quality hook as shown below. Hope this helps all. Great go-to lure deep,morning, evening and low light conditions. Its weakness is mid-depths in sunny-hi light conditions-although no worse than a similiar hootchy. See the fishing report in the Bamfield thread

as Bod said , you could drag cigarette butts around and fill your boat ,
not rocket science right now , HUGE mass of fish in the sound , every boat that came back ta the dock had easy limits ,
i had friends hitting em trolling Zingers lol , just get out there , keep it simple...
simple spoons is all you need right now ,

fd

post from another thread....as Bod said , you could drag cigarette butts around and fill your boat ,
not rocket science right now , HUGE mass of fish in the sound , every boat that came back ta the dock had easy limits ,
i had friends hitting em trolling Zingers lol , just get out there , keep it simple...
simple spoons is all you need right now , fd
:) Nice! Thanks FD for the update.
This is as close to a sure thing as I've heard recently so we're coming up this aft. Maybe a few sox will be left by the commies, too!

Back