Bamfield/Poett Nook 2013 Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well here is my report, not good reading, fished the weekend. Swale, Kirby, Peel pt, Wall and offshore to turtle head, result two keepers both in teens. 40-50 undersize springs. used all the usual gear but not for us this week back this Friday to go at it again.

Peter
AKA
Three Amigos

fellas

yes fishin was tuff on the inside for sure , 3 spots that were holding fish were ,Yankee bay , DIPLOCK : ) , swale , and heard Meares was good friday night until a pod of Killers came through , we fished really hard 5-7 hrs a day, for 3-7 fish per outting , nothin big either,all fish were between 70 and 116 feet , hoochies definately dominated , whites , greens best...
fished 4 hours for sox at China Creek for 4 kokanee , i mean sockeye lol ,all released , smallest sox ive seen i years , 70-80 feet , pink squirts , blue heads was best , most boats did poorly , alot with none , BUT , the top rods were non stop , 10 boats maybe outta 200 seemed dialed in , it was windy every day , quite a few guys hit rats nose saturday am , they did very well , cleaning tables were loaded , springs 12-20 lbs , a few 25's
also heard the halibut were plentifull , but the coho were non existent all of a sudden offshore for most ??

all in all , the slowest ive seen the indide for this time of year in YEARS,,,back out friday for 10 days , patio bros are gonna hit offshore , crash on the hook for 4 days , work our way up ta tofino again ,blast last year..

positive !!! , heard sunday and today were pretty good , deep inside , maybe a new whack of fish movin in ??

gd lk out there

fd

FD most fish we caught were on army truck hoochies or cookies and crème, out fished our bait easily. We also caught only two coho both wild.

Count down is on!! Just got final confirmation and we are a go/ We will have 5 nights in the float house in Julia pass from Friday the 26th and pulling out on the wed the 31st. There will be four of us in my 21 trophy. Boats name is "Inisfree" I still answer to Jencourt. Say high if ya see us. Ch 6 usually.

We will be trading one guy for another on Sunday. With Toquart down I am thinking of making the switch at the nook. should save me an hour each way rather than going to port and back. Any thoughts of a better spot that I have not thought of?

Looking forward to it and hope to run into a few of you while out there.

Fished Friday noon until today noon. Reasonable effort given.
All inside - Cree to Swale.
SLOW, brought home half the fish that we did 2 weekends ago, and they were all small.
We did nail some beauty bottom fish though!
Planning to return this coming weekend, hoping for a new wave of fish.
Heard that 7 mile was good.

Fished Kirby Sunday morning 7- 10:30.
Took a couple of my son's friends out, one had yet to land a salmon. He ended up with 2 springs and 1 coho, and his brother with 1 spring.
Lost 4 others, 2 of which were broken off, 1 was right at the boat and was probably 25. Those were the first 2 hookups of the day and the boys wanted them in the boat.
All springs on green/white-glow hootchie, coho was on the same version of a spoon. Springs @ 55-66 feet on the rigger in 50-80 feet of water. Coho @ 35 ft.

Here is my report from July 6th to 11th (sorry it is a little late). We were two boats and stayed in Bamfield. Fished a minimum of 12 hours a day and got pounded by the lack of fish and wind for the first 3 days which made fishing off shore very difficult. The first 3 days didnt produce great numbers of keepers, just a lot of shakers. Finally on the 11th, fish started to show and the brown turd hoochie and pilchard spoon were the ticket off cree, meares and sail. Wow, were the RCMP and DFO out with a vengence. Got pulled over twice, once by 2 nice younger DFO officers and then by both RCMP and DFO who all had a chip on their shoulders. Good thing we play by the rules!

To finish off our trip, on my way home on the 12th, I heard that South Bank was on fire!

Heading up by boat on thurs aft from Victoria. Hopefully the wind cooperate If not might end up in Port Renfrew... See you guys up there.

JL

Heading out on Wednesday, how is the road to Bamfield. Is there anywhere there is a regular road report for the road.

Just home road is as good as it gets! Fishing last few days inside for me is early bird gets the easy bites and then just persistence and working the gear gets more chances. Not easy fishing as it is sometimes but good fishing for the stubborn.
tight lines Kronic

It was decent two weeks ago...just the usual crap on a twisty westcoast gravel road...

Less then two weeks and I'm heading to bamfield for the first time. From nanaimo, is it better to drive via port alberni or lake cowichan? I'm not towing anything.

Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Just did the road from Cowichan -- other than the dust the road is as good as it gets. Some active logging on Central Main if you take the Flora Lake shortcut route. Had to detour using Klawana Main which makes the shortcut into the long way...

Heading up by boat on thurs aft from Victoria. Hopefully the wind cooperate If not might end up in Port Renfrew... See you guys up there.

JL

We did the trip last Tues/Wed -- got as far as Sooke on Tuesday -- sustained winds at about 30kts when we pulled into the Sooke harbour. Anchored in Anderson Cove -- and the winds even in there were hitting over 30kts causing us to drag our anchor across the bay. Ended up pulling anchor and staying on the dock at Sooke Harbour Marina for the night so we could get some sleep.

Wed morning winds were still blowing 25kts at Sooke and 35kts at Race Rocks. We checked out the wind model report on BWD and it showed 20-25kt winds until Sheringham but those then quickly died off 15, 10, 5, 0 as you got closer to Renfrew. The report was dead on accurate. Bow down and into the surf at about 15kts until Sheringham and we were then able to get the throttle up and made 24kts until Renfrew. Pretty fair sized close stacked swell from Renfrew until Carmanah Lighthouse slowed us down again to 15kts. But back up to 20-22kts between Carmanah and Pacheda Lighthouse.

At Cape Beale things got snaky very fast. Winds came back up to 20-25kts with some large swells and confused seas even about 1.5mi off the point. We launched airborne a few times (which is an impressive thing in a 31ft boat). We were right down to 10-12kts until we rounded the corner at Beale -- I finally got feeling back in my hands today after gripping the wheel so hard :)

Half mile off the Bamfield Inlet and the engine alarms kicked off -- overheat!!! We ended up sucking up a piece of kelp into the raw water intakes. Thankful it didn't happen off Beale 10 minutes earlier or we could have been in trouble!!!

Got the report for this morning, its awesome off shore, not sure about inside or not but my buddies landed over 25 springs in the range of 15 to 25 pounds and one Halibut 35 pounds!!! They are having trouble getting gear down to the bottom!! We are heading out tomorrow morning for the weekend!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back