Bamfield/Poett Nook 2013 Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heard there was nothing but small stuff there today...the biggies must have moved along.... hope they come back again.. :)

That is true the fish are really on the move and low slack seems to be important as it's on only briefly. We ended up with 5 coho 1 spring 2 hali and 1 good size ling and did quite a bit of travel. Should have had a few more nice size springs but folks behind the reel weren't used to knuckle busters one line break and a couple others lost to horsing them. But all in all it was a good day great people and and some fish in the boat at the end of it.

Doesn't look like the seas are going to subside. 3 to 4 metres tomorrow and NW winds 20 to 30 its every day at least through Thursday. Big seas certainly limit your options. If you don't want to tie yourself in the boat with a rope then you will be stuck fishing inside. If there's fish then great if not then the days can get long.

Well, got back Friday after 5 days at the beam. Spent 3 hours at the launch in port with some boat issues, after a couple of calls to Gord in Bamfield ...we were on our way. I drove in and the boys ran the boat up the inlet. Fished Kirby Sunday night and lost a nice 20 at the boat and that was it. Next morning at mears and nothing but shakers and then lost another nice fish and that was it. Took a fish around ship and inside Edward King...nothing. Fished the wall that night and put a couple of coho and a 15lb spring in the boat.
Hooked up with another buddy on Tuesday morning, hopped on for the next two days and killed it at mears. 79 t0 121 was on fire...green needlefish and chovies were the ticket. Limits of springs and coho to mid twenties and 8 or 9 lbs respectively. One morning we were done by 6:30 so hit the restaurant for breaky...cant beat that.
Took Osama out for a sunset fish and drink and loaded it at the wall...turned into a bloodbath as I gaffed the fish, one was a bruiser for jeff at 27lbs.
Next night on the wall surprised us with a couple of hali, one was very nice, another bloodbath and we were done.
Finished the last evening on the wall and put a 38 on the scale. Beauty fight and sweet fish...

What a great trip...torpedoing 20 lb springs and coho all day long cant be beat!

Kudos to Jeff at Tyee for his hospitality and the boys at the beam as always.
Cheers to Lucky Strikes and Git er Done (OB) for an awesome week of fishing, drinks and good food....

Osama...yer a dink and september is looking good!

Guy

This city slicker will be gettin off the porch also... Startin friday for a week.. Update as i go...

Damn Guy sounds like one hell of an outing! Thanks for posting...hoping I'm on the ukee side this weekend, possibly with the Sculpin. fingers crossed!

Heading out to Bamfield for our first weekend of year this Friday cant wait. Staying at Hawkeye Marine.
Bayliner 242, name-Three Amigos. Ch 14 radio call to say hi if we pass you.
Can anyone confirm that 5 mile bank is near 48.42N -125.18W. heard the term rats nose, heading out for halis we hope.

Rats Nose is much further than 5 miles your pretty much on the inside edge of Big Bank. Lots of hali in close you don't have to run all the way out that's kind of a last resort at least for myself. There usually bigger closer in but lots of chickens out there try salmon bellies they work great and stick to the hook much better. Troll up a quick pink and hack it up into bait can't beat it. Good luck!

Thanks UC
When you say try closer in how far out? I'm not asking for your hotspots but we never been out before for halis. Nootka I know well Bamfield just starting LOL

Best thing to do is look at a chart offshore a bit, view the contours of the bottom look for peaks which could be under water rock piles then work your way around them with spreader bars and bait. You may need to move several times out there to different pinnacles to get on them. The hali like to come in and feed on small cod little crabs and other bait which live on these piles. Trolling for salmon right on the bottom works great as well we pick up quite a few that way.

never measured exactly but i think the nose is 24 miles from beale.. chickens alover 5-7 mile.

Two days later and just recovering from bamfield 5 day outing.....fishing is straight up, lights out!!! Chovies, in an army truck teaser, green crippled anchovy teaser head, and watermelon head were all the hot tickets.....also D-balls brought up some of his green glow liquid brine.....holy crap, I'm a believer. great trip, and met some great guys at the seabeam.

look at a chart...it looks like a rat nose...it kinda angles away from Beale towards ukie

Nice to meet you Lucky Strikes...Some pretty sweet fish you got into. Not sure if it was that glow brine you gave me or not, but we sure burned through a ton of anchovies! Fishing was pretty good, although it did slow down a bit Friday. Meares was the ticket for us. Came home with a boatload of small springs and some nice coho. We managed to sh#% the bed on all the large fish we hooked...including a snapped leader and a straightened hook. Also got a few hali, including a 45 caught trolling along the beach at Ship.
The wind kept us mostly inshore although we beat ourselves up at Turle Head for a couple hours. One boat in our group braved Rats Nose on Friday for an easy limit of springs and halibut.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back