Bamfield Cut Plugging

S

steve41

Has anyone had any success cut plugging in and around Bamfield? It seems to me alot of guys use spoons.[8D]

Hi Steve,

I have had some successes cut-plugging up that way, but if your timing is good, you shouldn't really need to. I've had a lot of success on hootchies and Coyote spoons up there so there doesn't seem to be a need for it. Having said that though, cut-plugging is my favorite way to target springs (and cohos too).[8D] Of course the standard anchovies and teasers will work too and that is probably what 80% of the guys drag around. I just like the cut-plugs 'cause you can get in very tight to those little hiding spots when you're motor mooching that a normal troll can't get into. :D

Good luck,
George

We've been fishing Coyotes almost exclusively at Bamfield for the past 5 years in August. Why fish meat if you don't have to?

Thanks guys, for the info. I like cut plugging too. I'm going to give it a try and fish in close around the kelp at Kirby and see what happens.:D

Steve41

A few years back, there were 3 or 4 boats at our dock that were all friends and together. They were strickly cut pluggers. They did very well with a lot of big springs. They got in very tight to the kelp or in around the rocks where us trollers normally don't go. Talking to them at the dock I found out that they were using three different types of herring. They were dying some of their herring blue and some green as well as using plain old non dyed herring. I saw the results, they obviously were very good at it. Fun way to catch springs, no flasher etc. However, I don't cut plug very often as I just don't do it enough to have as much confidence as anchovies, hootchies and spoons. Good luck ><))))'>

Thanks Slabby,
It seems to me that cut plugging often produces bigger fish, but not the numbers. I like the idea of dying the bait. Do you think they use Roe dye? The idea of hooking large fish without a flasher really appeals to me. I think fishing the slack tides is the way to go, then troll the spoons between the slacks. Last year we did quite well with spoons on long leaders. Trolling speed was key at 2.7 mph as the target.:D
Steve41

Teamchachi & Steve41,
What spoons give you best results for springs, and what leader length/brand/lb test works best for you? thanks. DAJ

We were fishing Green/chrome 5 inch coyote spoons on 7 foot 15lb Maxima leaders. We also caught them on blue/chrome 5 inch coyote spoons. Both set ups were behind the Hot Spot checkered mylar flasher (clear). Depth was at 33 and 41 ft. Troll speed was 2.7 mph.

Thanks for the info on the dye to color the bait. I think I'll give it a try.:D

Back