Bad fishing...or bad fishermen...?

Combined I fish all year round... I am lucky where I am as it allows me to fish both sides of island in good spots from 30 minutes - 1 hour depending where I go east or west. Winter fishing ECVI and WCVI (south) was some of best fishing had in the winter/spring. The prawning on ECVI was excellent all winter, and will pick up right now. As well crabbing. Halibut was good south island. Summer fishing was slower in chinooks but I take it in stride as I am not just a summer fisherman. I don't pack my boat way and hide in the winter.... Boats need to be run not sit and rot in the driveway. I also went to Bamfield in early July and it was good up there.

It was slow say in Sooke this summer ( but it wasn't before middle of July was quite good earlier) and that is not just crappy fisherman many including me are changing a lot of things. Now we will have our fall coho fishery in next few months that will be awesome in south island. Really in all can't complain that makes a great year... Just like being on the water myself.

My biggest take away is to move around....That has helped my cope sometimes... It also makes you a better fisherman as different area produce differently...Its fun to learn the differences...But in no way would I disagree that in area we were in this year there was definitely a huge drop in fish Mid July, and it didn't matter...Many top producing guys.guides were coming home empty handed. Those guys switch tactics a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great post. It definitely seems that many folks i talk to feel it is slow around Vic/Sooke.

ECVI for this year and last have been awesome for me.

Agree that it is tough to post specifics as everyone reads but not one shares.

From my experience, most don't fish deep enough or troll fast enough;)

Great post. It definitely seems that many folks i talk to feel it is slow around Vic/Sooke.

ECVI for this year and last have been awesome for me.

Agree that it is tough to post specifics as everyone reads but not one shares.

From my experience, most don't fish deep enough or troll fast enough;)

*2. Especially the bit about going deeper. That's the first thing I change if things aren't working.

Awesome post and you nailed it.

Yes some areas are experiencing less than normal fish but there are still good numbers there to catch. So many on here grumble and mumble about the charter boys and the luck they have and think they are doing something magic,, well they aren't, they are just good fishermen and if you try so can you be. Pay attention to detail,, think about what you are doing, think where those fish are and where they would be feeding. It never ceases to amaze me how little thought people put into there fishing and are disappointed when the result is poor.

I am an avid fisherman of many species, I chase most species of fresh water fish and salt water in western Canada and I will tell you this,, fishing is fishing.. The same basic rules apply regardless of the species. Pay attention to the smallest of details, match the hatch, go where the fish will be stacked and feeding always use the structure to your advantage, don't follow every other ding bat where he is going follow your instincts and persevere until the bite hits.

I am not a local west coast fisherman mind you I have been going out to the coast since the mid 70's as a child and now pretty steady for the last 15 years as an adult and fished up and down both sides of the coast and I will say this. Every spot has its own unique fishery and little different things that are required to do well in those areas. Again the same basics just different feeding habits. You must ask, listen and try different methods in each area. This summer we went out to Sooke this being the 9th year for me fishing Sooke off and on but I do know the waters well, we went out on a so called poor year and did quite well again, I have no complaints brought all I ever do home more than I have in some so called good years.

Remember this boys.. 90% of the fish are caught by 10% of the fishermen!! which group do you want to be in ??

Nice post...and this is the single most valuable lesson I've learned...

persevere until the bite hits.

Don't spend all your fishing time running all over the place and changing up gear...if your gear isn't in the water when the bite comes on you're not going to catch anything.

Spring Fever II had a pretty decent year-overall size was a little disappointing and in some areas notably Winter Harbour had to rely on a network of friends for info on where to start. Fished it 5 times this year-had to travel farther, fish deeper-added Nog's spoon to LED hootchys, coyotes , anchovys and X-tra large jugheads and bellies for white fish as the standard fair. The Ecvi was a standout-Grants reef and Kitty,the Campbell river area produced Like I haven't seen in many a year. Fished with a few members such as FA (always learn something ) and Jeffy-great times and some good fish!! Got to be a good year, I'm still standing, the freezer is full. Help out with info wherever you can, and it usually comes back when you ask for help. Try and develop a network wherever you fish-pay attention to other guys stories-you never know what will help you. If nothing seems to work go deeper and go to the old standbys and then move. If it's a long trip to an area say 3 days or so -get your prior intel, then plan the areas to fish, what order and where to go if the weather craps out. Most importantly-have a good time!!LOL After all that depending on the area-of course but for me average to slightly above average year!!

Fished out French Creek and Bamfield only this year. Had an outstanding year in both locations. Although, I do agree it was tough to get a lot of size most the time. I to will not be posting much on this site anymore after all the judgemental and often negative posts. Tired of having to see every fish and catch method judged by those who usually fail to catch fish nor add anything to posts.

Noticed the "whining" also, but equated it to there being more catchers than fishermen on here, especially in the summer.
If you aren't limiting out, then the fishing is poor.
Time to get back to fishing as a sport, not a harvest.
If you need 80 or 150+ pounds of salmon in your freezer, buy them.
Cheaper than the 40,000 you spent on the boat.

Remember this boys.. 90% of the fish are caught by 10% of the fishermen!! which group do you want to be in ??

Agreed………

I also believe in the other adage that those 10% of fishermen put in 90% of the rod hours, so the more you put in the more you will get out………..

Fairly new to fishing big water, this is my third season.
I have fished the prairie lakes and rivers for most of my adult life and I do have to agree with so many points mentioned.
I watch others catch fish around me and I will pick up a few, to me that is a great day!
Every year learning more and more and also releasing more and more.

When I am on the water it is great, when I catch fish it is a bonus! A really good thread!!

Last edited by a moderator:
So let me get this straight........if an area is "hot" for a few days and then it suddenly goes dead...and.....everyone you know that was getting fish previously now couldn't buy one in 5 hours of fishing and have tried different places and all their "secret" tackle..........no problem:- the fish are actually there, laughing and chuckling at the morons topside?

I have also seen where two boats using the exact same tackle/depth, fishing within sight of each other at the same time.........and one boat will get fish and the other won't.

Too many people follow others that are not catching a fish and fail to plan the day based on tides/currents/structure regardless if there is another boat around.

I have kept a detailed logbook for many years now and yes every year the fish are in the same general locations based on tides/currents/structure. Just pay attention to details and get your lines in the water and check your gear often. For me I've noticed a lot more junk in the water around the Sooke/Victoria hotspots as compared to other years. I wonder how much time the boats that are getting skunked have junk on there lines?

It's all about location/timing and clean gear to catch em!! Not hard just don't become complacent with just being on the boat, sometimes its a bit of work to be successful.

It's all about location/timing and clean gear to catch em!! Not hard just don't become complacent with just being on the boat, sometimes its a bit of work to be successful.
Truer words were never spoken-applies to most things in life as well as fishing!!

Some days its more then a bit of work. I agree with the weeds in the water Sooke has been brutal. But im avid about cleaning lines often. Somtime you just dont see a shaker or light hit and your chovie is smashed down there.

So let me get this straight........if an area is "hot" for a few days and then it suddenly goes dead...and.....everyone you know that was getting fish previously now couldn't buy one in 5 hours of fishing and have tried different places and all their "secret" tackle..........no problem:- the fish are actually there, laughing and chuckling at the morons topside?

I have also seen where two boats using the exact same tackle/depth, fishing within sight of each other at the same time.........and one boat will get fish and the other won't.

The earlier statement about sticking it out until the bite happens is obviously only valid if you've got a pretty good idea there's fish around...
On an average 3-4 hour trip to French Creek this August there would be 2-3 bites lasting 15-20 mins each yielding 2 or 3 springs per. Pretty easy to miss out on a bite like that if you're busy f'n around with gear or following the pack of boats around...but if you stay on top of a bait ball or in the area you saw one earlier for long enough the results are often worth it.

Back