Bad etiquette unwritten rules on the water.......

LOL its a little brass bell when a big fish pops it sounds rather impressive its my blind side so thats why its there nothing worse than hearing whiiiiiirrrrrrr and wondering whats that noiase only to look back and see the rod bent over screaming out line LOL LOL
As for close yep he was at least 40 ft away not too bad but im sure the fish that we are all after dont like it i mean cmon go around no need to buzz thru the fishing grounds....

Wolf

Reference the thread in fresh water section with video of fish striking.
"Fish followed for 4 min 48 seconds"
That is why I get pissed off when I am on a good tack with my gear fishing shallow and some dumb butt runs to the inside of me or through the fleet!
Do you think they will still be following after that?!

Tips

A coupe things got me going this week.

Guys cutting in between the Head and My boat when I am maybe 60 feet of the point, seemed to be mostly the old timers

Another thing was it was super foggy Wednesday morning in the bay and off the head..HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE NOT SMART ENOUGH TO TURN ON YOUR LIGHTS....IDIOTS

MY Rant

Saw a few of these things happening at East Pt. (Renfrew) this week. About ten boats around and guide boat goes right through area full speed. Boats flopping everywhere. A few guys in smaller boats had to hold on. Guy save himself maybe 2 minutes by not going outside, he had to run right through the gap. People cutting in on run and getting too close to guys playing fish. Everyone wants the honey hole! Fish were being caught through the entire run from Marg Simpson to the big rocks. I do not think that everyone understands though, I know I didn't when I first started... Almost like fishing the Fraser for sockeye, lol. people want their fish.

Yesterday was a great day for fishing. Three boats traveling along the Otter Point shoreline at 50' of water, moving in the same direction, with our right rods closest to shore. Enter a boat named Double Header - directly at all three boats, causing all of us to have to move out to deeper water to avoid tangling our gear. As Double Header goes past, I hear someone call out to him that we usually give way to the people with their right rods closest to shore.

The old guy operating Double Header starts yelling that he's busy setting his gear out and there are no rules written down that say right rod closest to shore. Someone yells back to Double Header, "Hey! Isn't your license full by now since you fish every day and use three rods?" Double Header pitches a fit and we hear his ranting for the next quarter mile as he travels away from us. This is the 6th time I've seen Double Header cut other boats off, and then throw a tantrum when people tell him they take great exception to his totally selfish and potentially dangerous behaviour.

Anyone know this Double Header guy? Please tell him to give his head a shake and grow up. "Right Rod Closest To Shore" is a manoeuvring procedure that has evolved as a practical way to allow as many boats to fish in the sweet spots that we all want a piece of.

Do your part to eliminate confusion, tangled lines and avoid possible collisions (which IS THE LAW, Double Header).

Repeat after me: Keep your right rod closest to shore in shallower water. Travel back on your tack with your left rod closest to shore in deeper water. Everyone goes in the same oval direction. It's called boating safety. And common courtesy.

Jackel...I think the rule is that downrigger cable wins.. lol JK Doug, I had Mr. Doubleheader do the same thing to me repeatedly consecutive times on the same day. He isn't alone there are others too. Some mistake a boat skewed with the bow pointing to the SW in a hard flood (pointing directly at the lighthouse) as meaning you want to take the outside when in fact you are pointed this way to keep the current from pulling you into shallower water as you travel west. Doubleheader doesn't fit into this category..he just goes where he wants in both directions. Last week at Muir he was in front of me on the 110 foot line and I was gaining on him so I went to the outside into 125...he slides out in front of me...I slide down to 95 feet still gaining...he cuts me off and goes into maybe 85 feet...I go back to 110 he slides back to 110....I make a full 360 deg turn to get away from him and create some separation with the intent to come back around on the 110 foot but way back from him....as soon as I turn..so does he....lucky for him he finished his turn behind me otherwise he was going to get an ear full from me too.

I see him and turn away Cant be in the same area as him I asked him one time what tact do you want the 90 100 120??? as ill adjust to you he yelled back "I WANT THEM ALL" hes a mess out there but hey at least we know he is so cant be too hard on the ol fart we know what to expect from him....... LOL LOL
i think we notice i more now as the season is coming close and we are getting grumpy.....

But back on to bad I was on the tip yesterday first light when a clown in a arima (from the trailer park) passes me full bore at id say 30 ft at the most my guest say wtf is with that guy I stood there with my hands up so he slows a bit and puts his hands up to WTH... then he turns his boat and starts trolling back to the trailer park.... OMG im thinking common sense is a super power!!!!!!!

Best way to deal with clowns like him is to pull all your gear and then drop your downriggers back down to the basement and cut straight across his strean and collect all his gear and pull the downrigger up and show him all his gear and cut it all off and throw it over the side. He won't come near your again.

Best way to deal with clowns like him is to pull all your gear and then drop your downriggers back down to the basement and cut straight across his strean and collect all his gear and pull the downrigger up and show him all his gear and cut it all off and throw it over the side. He won't come near your again.

Get in close behind him and drop your anchor down, that will make him get out of your way and send a message at the same time.... actually saw that done once.... the guy never came close again!!!

Doubleheader is a Trainwreck, I usually stay clear if I can, I think he just has Senior Moments and also runs way to many Downriggers for one Guy...watch out he will get you Driller

IMO, this qualifies as bad etiquette on the water. Only in Alaska.......

[KzQxrAbrC2I] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzQxrAbrC2I&feature=player_detailpage

IMO, this qualifies as bad etiquette on the water. Only in Alaska.......

[KzQxrAbrC2I] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzQxrAbrC2I&feature=player_detailpage

that or a sooke boy

'it actually hit very well. we were surprised.' wtf lol

Last edited by a moderator:
A small sign at the new boat launch in Sooke

Its a start a small sign stating a no wake zone. It might help. :eek:

Attachments

• IMG_0848.jpg
    IMG_0848.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 104
Back