Bad etiquette unwritten rules on the water.......

i know what your talking about, but most new trucks have automatic headlights. They won't go off until you set the emergency brake. I've been yelled at a few times at the ramp while moving and backing down

x2

they dont turn off even with the park brake on

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know what is worse guys cutting up the middle at otter or the few that nearly ram your butt when you have a fish on. That drives me more crazy...

Only time these situations really bugs me is in the fog when I have guys cutting super close at high speeds.... I yell when that happens don't care who you are.... just because you have radar doesn't give you the right to navigate like an idiot.
Agreed, but that pales by comparison to the countless morons who roar through the fog at breakneck speed with NO RADAR and "In GPS, We Trust". Their attitude seems to be " I know where I am, to hell with everyone else" As one who HAS radar, it is really kinda frightening to see these dimwitted morons come at you with no clue that you are even there.

Those who are guilty of this deserve the fate of a mid ocean crash with a freighter.

When Hali fishing at anchor.
There should be no drifting of scent lines or anchoring within ONE MILE downstream!

I wonder if the people who run around in the fog without radar at high speeds are the same idiots who cant bring their boat up a boat launch in under 15 minutes. Tonight as I was entering the launch some clown cut in front of me right at the breakwater entrance, just about lost it and it would have been worth throwing a cannonball at.

ok how about someone draw up the pattern of trolling in each area and make it a stickie. Just a thought. Print it off put it on the board at the marina. or the window of the guy who doesnt know better. Nothing worse than some hot head sceaming his head off at you with the wife and kids on board.
Thats my 2 cents

Lots of dreamers on this thread! Here is one rule that I live by that a former deckmate taught me " never do anything that scares or causes inconvenience to other people, everything else goes".

simple rule that works.

beemer

Lots of dreamers on this thread! Here is one rule that I live by that a former deckmate taught me " never do anything that scares or causes inconvenience to other people, everything else goes".

simple rule that works.

beemer

I like that rule. I wonder though if the guys that rip around in the fog who have never had a close call with another boat could think they are following this rule. By the time they scare another boater, it could be more than a scare.

You know I saw this today why is it that some people must go inside pass close to shore...turn and do it again over and over both ways...Saw this today by possession on the ebb and was getting super frustrating....I don't mid giving guys room to go in tight to rocks but you have to let other guys in. You can't go inside turn around and do inside again. It just sucks....Frustrating for people fishing....

High Five

I usually go with the Starboard (right) rod to shore rule....unfortunetly you always get those few yahoo's who go against the grain just plow through and blow that rule out of the water....

Well I have to admit I went port side to shore. I dont feel bad no one was in there. When I went past before it was all port to shore people coming at me so I took the outside and did a big loop. Even with tons of boats there is still lots of room. I think ive had good practice in the alberni canal. Its amazing how tight people fish together. The problem comes when you get a guy who anchors then a few guys who are drift jigging and/or flyfishing and trollers. which was the case yesterday but it seemed to all go smoothly. Today will all the report and killer weather I bet its a **** show out there, so jealous!

I use to guide up island at painters lodge, it was funny fishing spots like browns bay with 50 whalers from painters, sometimes you would get a weekend warrior come down against the traffic, and everyone along the way would give him an earfull....next time through, he was going with the pack....I have no problems yelling at someone for doing something stupid, its how you learn, by making mistakes....

same old story, was out yesterday and was fishing the Head and a larger boat comes blasting down through the middle of everyone fishing and came within 40 yards of a guy in a kayak. WTF, do big boats= small brains???

I use to guide up island at painters lodge, it was funny fishing spots like browns bay with 50 whalers from painters, sometimes you would get a weekend warrior come down against the traffic, and everyone along the way would give him an earfull....next time through, he was going with the pack....I have no problems yelling at someone for doing something stupid, its how you learn, by making mistakes....

Hey Sudsy.. I hear what you are saying as far as weekend warriors. But for number of years the Painters guide fleet was well know for "aggressive, get the client a fish at any cost" attitude. I dont see that as much any more-- a classic example is the way everyone gets into chum fishing at Separation etc. In spite of the closeness, its fun and few get excited when a fish is lost because of another boats mistake

Hey Sudsy.. I hear what you are saying as far as weekend warriors. But for number of years the Painters guide fleet was well know for "aggressive, get the client a fish at any cost" attitude. I dont see that as much any more-- a classic example is the way everyone gets into chum fishing at Separation etc. In spite of the closeness, its fun and few get excited when a fish is lost because of another boats mistake

Yah i would agree that there was a stigma towards the painters fleet, its hard not to feel that way when there is 50 boats working for the same company wtih paying clients onboard, I havnt chum fished for 8 yeras, definetly taking my boat up island this fall for a week of chum fishing, soooooooooooo much fun!!!!

HERE is a beauty one for you Todayin not bad vis in the fg id say about 100 yds this guy in a SAILBOAT comes putting right at me as im doing the east to west tact and hes coming from almost due south approcahing me what does this moron do cuts in front of me not behind like a normal person does I had to stop my boat from trolling he was that close 3 guys watching I asked WTF am I crowding you???passed me about 15 ft awy on my bow???? my client say UMMMM when I did that poc course hes supposed to pass behind isnt he?????? what do you do I just shook my head????YUUUUPPPP

wolf

Now Roy buddy, I know you got a good throwing arm!
Didn't you have any frozen Octipus handy? LOL

LOL LOL
Yes its not bad for all you wondering LC on here wanted some octopus so on the way out out I stopped by and threw a bag of octopus right in the middle of Kellys net you couldnt have placed it any better LOL LOL

Again today im at the tip of otter in 70 ft of water notice this guy weaving in and out of everyone so thought WTH heres a pic and ill continue to take them for this thread!!!!!

Lippy please make it bigger thanks!!!

Wolf

Attachments

• SOOKE SALMON 2012 041.jpg
    SOOKE SALMON 2012 041.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 244
Back