Babine Lake

APAShooter

My father and I are headed to Babine in a couple weeks. Never fished it before so looking for any trips we can get, going to be after Lakers, Rainbows and Sockeye if it opens up. We're staying near Topley Landing and will be running my 20' fishing boat. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Really? Not one single reply? So either no one on here fishes this lake or nobody wants to offer any info.. oh well i'll figure it out i guess.

Fished up there for a few years. This is going back a few years. The sockeye fishing is different from almost everywhere I’ve been before. The preferred method is a regular red flasher and two red/orange beads with hook. No hootchie or anything else, just two beads. Fish this about 30-40 feet down depending on area really slow. Flasher just rotating. By the bluffs in your area is a good start if there is an opening for them.

Across the lake and down a little farther south is good rainbow and laker spots. I would recommend catch and release for both of these species as they are VERY wormy. Anything over a couple pounds has a lot of worms in the meat. I haven’t kept any but there was always someone at the cleaning table with some. All had the worms.

Good luck and have fun. Always enjoyed fishing up there.

Oly

Second the above post, bare hook or maybe a bit of pink yarn for sockeye. Troll as slow as you can, 1 mph or less; the fish are tired and won't chase. Use a pink or red dodger to add action to the hook and keep the leader short, 12-16".

Thanks for the replies guys i appreciate the info, have either of you spent much time targeting the Lakers? I would think in a lake that big there must be big ones in there.

Back