Avet reels

I was at pacific net and twine in parksville last weekend and I was looking at some new halibut reels And I was looking at some Avet reels I've never herd of them before but they looked really good and really good quality. I was wondering if anyone had ever used them or owns one

Do a search. Lots of positive info on this site

Never fished halibut with them..... but they are becoming more and more popular for sturgeon fishing....!

I know a few that use them (two speed models) and have had a few on my boat, seen them in action on some nice size fish (8'+),they work very well and balance out the rods nicely! If I didn't like the Penn Internationals so much I definately would have them on my boat all the time!

Mike

im trying to figure out witch model would be good for halibut fishing

I want to find out the same. I was recently inquiring about a left-handed lever drag, and IronNoggin mentioned that he uses Avets for halibut. After looking online, I thought the HX series might do the trick. But it's hard to tell the actual size of these reels by looking online. I'd like to hear from IronNoggin as to what works well on his boats.

My set up for hali is AVET JX 6/3 two speed married to a Shimano 6'6" Trevala TVC-66H. I used to use a shimano 700 calcutta married to the same rod. I prefer my AVET it is awesome! Keeping in mind that I only use 65lbs braid, I can still kill big fish quite happily. :)

DHA.

WP_000473.jpg

Check them out on ebay, the "buy it now" guy's have the JX 6/3 for $389.99 - $439.99! The JX 4/2's are quite a bit cheaper.

I've used some of the single speed Tyrnos 30 reels last year and they worked great. I know they offer them in two speed as well. I had a couple of Tiagras with me as well, but I think they were a bit overkill........Having said that, I've heard that the Avets were pretty good reels.

Buy the reel in accordance to how much line you would like. Big drag isn't necessary for halibut IMO, so I would buy based on reel capacity. Plenty of info on Avets website.

I caught a 22lb halibut using a ultra lightweight jigging rod and an Avet sx single speed (the smallest reel they make) with ease. I know of people in Alaska catching halibut over a 100lbs with the sx model.

Just a heads up for any gear junkies... I was just in the Harbour Chandler and saw some pretty good deals on stuff including all of their Avet reels. I think the sale is on until the boat-show in Van.

Just bot 2 of the Shimano Tyrnos 20 2 speed reels.
Really like the gearing on the Tyrnos, 5:1 and 2:1, nice construction too, all allum chassis.
Cheaper than the Avet.
My concern was avail of parts and support as Shimano has extensive coverage in BC while Avet is still the new kid.
Both are very nice options IMO.
GA

Last edited by a moderator:
witch model of the tyrnos would you use?

I've got a Shimano Tyrnos 20 and it has more than enough capacity and power to handle the halibut I have caught - great reel!

Anything much bigger gets harder to handle as more size and weight makes the reel flip side to side when reeling up, causing more hand/arm fatigue over time. Try to stay lower in profile and lighter in reel size to avoid this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back