ATTENTION: JOIN THE WAR ON FISHFARMING!

Just wanted to say thanks for being mature and understanding about the passion and intent, sockeyefry. Great reply. It's too bad that none of the points I raised were addressed though.

Also, thanks for the insightful, intelligent and eloquent replies herring and chris73.

I agree with Chris73 that this debate educates us on typical pro-farming arguments, and personally I encourage sockeyefry to continue posting. I am not sure whether he is a farmer or a Joe somebody who is passionate about this subject; whether he is trying to trick people into believing what he says, whether he believes what he is saying and wants to discuss it, or whether he is right - but I am consider myself very open-minded and while I am currently against farming, I would like to hear both sides of the debate.

Agentaqua its great having somebody as educated as you share your findings and I understand your passion and frustration regarding the topic, but I agree with Herring that the language taints the the argument a little and is unnecessary.

I think closing the thread is going way to far - we're all adults - we can surely get past this and continue an interesting and educational debate. Herring I hope you stick around and share your knowledge - many of us are eager to learn the facts and you seem to have some.

I agree with Chris73 that this debate educates us on typical pro-farming arguments, and personally I encourage sockeyefry to continue posting. I am not sure whether he is a farmer or a Joe somebody who is passionate about this subject; whether he is trying to trick people into believing what he says, whether he believes what he is saying and wants to discuss it, or whether he is right - but I am consider myself very open-minded and while I am currently against farming, I would like to hear both sides of the debate.

Agentaqua its great having somebody as educated as you share your findings and I understand your passion and frustration regarding the topic, but I agree with Herring that the language taints the the argument a little and is unnecessary.

I think closing the thread is going way to far - we're all adults - we can surely get past this and continue an interesting and educational debate. Herring I hope you stick around and share your knowledge - many of us are eager to learn the facts and you seem to have some.

Howdy,

Time to dive back in I suppose.

To those of you who were offended by my rather impulsive choice of words - please forgive me. The last thing I want to do is crash a thread (10,000/hits-yeeha!) on a very important topic( notice I didn't say 'most' important) concerning the great-fish.

With due respect to those of you who are still trying to learn about this filthy business (and I whole-heartedly encourage all to do so) allow me to share this will all of you:
There are many in the opposition to the net-pen business who've put in way more time than myself - my hats off to all of them - but few are more angry about it than myself, few are more tired of responding to the continuous stream of effluent spewing from the mouths of industry pundit's like S-fry and others I've dealt with in the last eight years.

After exhaustive hours of research, long-distance phone calls, emails', writing an essay, writing a feature magazine article, travelling to Campbell River (at my expense) to attend the Legatt Hearings on salmon farming, travelling to Vancouver (at my expense) to attend a strategy meeting of high-profile environmentalist groups (only to be basically ignored), trying to organize my fellow sportfishermen into some kind of formidable opposition, writing and getting published in the Times Colonist, watching my stunned (no "F"-word here boys) Government jump into bed with the fishfarmers, yeah... I'm getting a little frustrated about constantly repeating myself, echoing words and information about this horrible net-pen business that has been known for years.

From here on in, I'll watch from the sidelines and let those of you who know about this business duke-it-out. My energy will be focused elsewhere where it is needed in this battle.

Then there'll be no risk of me telling some fishfarmer to 'F-off', or get his 'head out of his butt' and then offending the sensitive eye's of my fellow sportfishermen who've been most supportive of this initiative.

Cheers,

Terry

Wild Salmon Alliance

Howdy,

Time to dive back in I suppose.

To those of you who were offended by my rather impulsive choice of words - please forgive me. The last thing I want to do is crash a thread (10,000/hits-yeeha!) on a very important topic( notice I didn't say 'most' important) concerning the great-fish.

With due respect to those of you who are still trying to learn about this filthy business (and I whole-heartedly encourage all to do so) allow me to share this will all of you:
There are many in the opposition to the net-pen business who've put in way more time than myself - my hats off to all of them - but few are more angry about it than myself, few are more tired of responding to the continuous stream of effluent spewing from the mouths of industry pundit's like S-fry and others I've dealt with in the last eight years.

After exhaustive hours of research, long-distance phone calls, emails', writing an essay, writing a feature magazine article, travelling to Campbell River (at my expense) to attend the Legatt Hearings on salmon farming, travelling to Vancouver (at my expense) to attend a strategy meeting of high-profile environmentalist groups (only to be basically ignored), trying to organize my fellow sportfishermen into some kind of formidable opposition, writing and getting published in the Times Colonist, watching my stunned (no "F"-word here boys) Government jump into bed with the fishfarmers, yeah... I'm getting a little frustrated about constantly repeating myself, echoing words and information about this horrible net-pen business that has been known for years.

From here on in, I'll watch from the sidelines and let those of you who know about this business duke-it-out. My energy will be focused elsewhere where it is needed in this battle.

Then there'll be no risk of me telling some fishfarmer to 'F-off', or get his 'head out of his butt' and then offending the sensitive eye's of my fellow sportfishermen who've been most supportive of this initiative.

Cheers,

Terry

Wild Salmon Alliance

Terry. Not sure if this is of any interest to you as you seem to be more interested in frothing at the mouth rhetoric than actual science. However that being said do you have any interest in actually visiting a salmon farm and seeing one up close? I would be happy to arrange a tour so that you can see for yourself that it is not the septic waste land you portray it to be. Again I make this offer in good faith and would be happy to show you the whole operation. You will have carte blance to ask as many questions as you want to whomever you want in the organization. I make this offer to you alone and perhaps some of the other members on this site that are so set against the farms. Regards.

Terry. Not sure if this is of any interest to you as you seem to be more interested in frothing at the mouth rhetoric than actual science. However that being said do you have any interest in actually visiting a salmon farm and seeing one up close? I would be happy to arrange a tour so that you can see for yourself that it is not the septic waste land you portray it to be. Again I make this offer in good faith and would be happy to show you the whole operation. You will have carte blance to ask as many questions as you want to whomever you want in the organization. I make this offer to you alone and perhaps some of the other members on this site that are so set against the farms. Regards.

It is obvious that fish farming will have an effect on salmon stocks. However, I believe we are concentrating our efforts in the wrong areas. In reality we all want one thing. That is for our salmon stocks to be strong. For the passed 150 years we literally have beat the crap out of the five silver beauties by destroying their spawning grounds, screwing up the climate and fishing them to death. We need to concentrate our efforts on reducing pressures on the species, cleaning up the rivers, increasing hatchery programs and making sure that their feed is availble(IE herring fishery). Have any of you looked at what Florida did in the 90's by severely limiting the commercial fishery. Should we consider buying out the commercial guys?

Salmon are no different than any other species on earth. Take away their habitat and kill too many and they move towards extinction.

DR

quote:Originally posted by drad2k4

Have any of you looked at what Florida did in the 90's by severely limiting the commercial fishery. Should we consider buying out the commercial guys?

DR

I heard about this years ago from a US client but have never researched it. I tried to find something on the net a while ago but wasn't finding anything worth reading. Can the situation be summed up in a paragraph or three?

I'd be all for it, but the Alaska wildcard and the fact that the problems are so much greater than one species or user group make it somewhat unpalitable.

I think Drad has hit the nail on the head. Like I have been saying, salmon face pressure from all sides. If you drop the witch hunt mentality regarding farms, you may find a valuable ally

Quote from this article: "...He said the "burden of proof" is on the industry to show that it can operate without damaging the environment. Austin disagreed, saying it is the B.C. government's responsibility to protect wild salmon first...."

So true.

VICTORIA – The Ministry of Agriculture and Lands has issued one new finfish license, one replacement finfish license, and one new shellfish license, and denied another application for a shellfish license. These decisions are based on the biological suitability of the sites, the technical merits of the applications, and consultation with First Nations, communities and other government agencies.

A replacement finfish license was issued to Creative Salmon Company Ltd. to grow Chinook salmon at a marine water-based facility on the southwest corner of Warne Island at the entrance of Tofino Inlet. The site is a replacement for the Tranquil aquaculture license, which is being relocated due to poor tidal flushing and concerns by First Nations. Surrender of the Tranquil site is a condition of the tenure offer for Warne Island. The proposed site lies solely within the asserted traditional territory of the Tla-o-qui-aht First Nations, who provided letters of support for the application.

The second finfish license was issued to Grieg Seafood B.C. Ltd. to grow Atlantic salmon at a marine water-based facility in Nootka Sound on the north shore of Muchalat Inlet, just east of the juncture with Williamson Passage. It is the last of six sites discussed in a settlement agreement by the Province and the Mowachaht/Muchalaht First Nation. Provisions were made in the agreement for siting a total of six marine finfish farms in the settlement area, only four of which were to be operational at any one time to allow for fallowing and better site management. This site is located in an area designated as acceptable for aquaculture by the Nootka Sound Coastal Land Use Plan.

In another decision, an application by Island Scallops Ltd., to amend their existing license to include 125 hectares of sub-surface longlines for Japanese scallop culture, was approved. The site is located off the east side of Vancouver Island near Bowser. The license requires that all farm structures be a minimum of 1.1 km off-shore, with no surface structures other than buoys required to ensure safe navigation.
Finally, a submission by Discovery Diving Ltd., for a geoduck clam sub-tidal facility proposed off Wilson Creek on the Sunshine Coast, was denied. Amongst other factors, the site was rejected due to the sensitive habitat designation of the area.

Numerous parties were consulted on these applications, including the Canadian Coast Guard, Fisheries and Oceans Canada, Ministry of Forests and Range, Ministry of Environment, Environment Canada, the First Nations groups in the area, non-governmental organizations, the Regional Districts and the public.

All decisions on aquaculture licences in British Columbia are based on the following principles: fairness; transparency; efficiency; accountability; protection of public health and safety; protection of the environment; and sustainable economic development.

As you can note,the Province added new farms.
They were unable to do so in the North due to the F/N.

Nothing changes.

Howdy,

As this thread slowly fades into oblivion, I'd like to take this last breath of mine here and thank all of you members and staff at SFBC for all your support in this critical endeavor.

The Wild Salmon Alliance is alive and well and was - sure as hell - born right here on the SFBC Saltwater/forum!

Cheers to all of you,

Terry Anderson

Wild Salmon Alliance

Terry has left the building...

Back