Arima sea ranger options

Jonathan H

Hi everyone I’m about to order a 19 foot Arima Sea Ranger I have a 17 foot arima currently but the extra 2 feet would allow me to go to bigger waters etc.

My question is for Arima owners of the 19 foot sea ranger what options do you feel you wish you had on your boat as I would like to get advice before ordering my boat this month thank you so much for your advice

I will be posting my boat Arima sea chaser 2010 model year for sale in August I am based in Nanaimo

I had the 19, ranger for years. The hardtop was a huge bonus (out of the rain and sun and diddnt deteriorate or rattle like canvas), the bait tray above the motor well was very handy as well. Must have trim tabs too. Awesome boat

Hard top with the slanted forward windshield, and factory kicker bracket is what I would want. I like the Ranger model my self with the bigger cuddy you can put your fishing rods in there locked up when you are in a marina.

I have a 19 ft Sea Chaser with a skip tower. I really like the skip tower option as it is so flexible. On cold rainy days you can use the full canvas to keep comfortable but on those hot sunny August days the skip provides shade and with the front and back canvas gone or down, you get a nice breeze and great visibility.

Thank you for your input everyone. It’s food for thought for sure. I didn’t realize I was losing two feet of fishing space. I thought it was one feet. So I’ll maybe look deeper into this

The chaser has a much larger dance floor but the cuddly is almost useless. Can’t sleep in it, too small for kids and can’t store any rods in it. The beam on Arimas are 8’ so a ranger still has a lot of floor space compared to other boats the same size. A bigger dance floor is always nice tho - another advantage of a chaser is that you sit closer to the bow which really helps balance the heavy stern in arimas. They are stern heavy because the gas tank and batteries are all under the splashwell.

The chaser has a much larger dance floor but the cuddly is almost useless. Can’t sleep in it, too small for kids and can’t store any rods in it. The beam on Arimas are 8’ so a ranger still has a lot of floor space compared to other boats the same size. A bigger dance floor is always nice tho - another advantage of a chaser is that you sit closer to the bow which really helps balance the heavy stern in arimas. They are stern heavy because the gas tank and batteries are all under the splashwell.
So do you think I’m making a mistake buying a Sea ranger over my sea chaser? I wish I could see one but I don’t see any sea rangers in the Nanaimo area. Just so I could judge if the floor is enough room and the cuddy will sleep two comfortably
My main objective is to go fishing in bigger water such as Bamfield, winter harbour, etc and spend a couple nights on the boat. I can’t currently do that. I do love my sea chaser though

IMO the ranger is the boat to have, longer dance floor is always nice to have but the cuddy is pointless in a Chaser. The big thing with a Arima is how wide they are, makes up for being a little shorter. With the Ranger you can just get your halibut rods in the cuddy, not a chance with a chaser. Each to there own! thats why they make both :)

For me, if using to overnight then the Ranger makes the most sense. Hard top, decent cuddy and put a drop curtain on to close off the cabin is the way to go IMHO. I do like the floor on the chaser but we live on the "we coast" so the hardtop just seems like the better option

We slept overnight several times in Nootka on my 17 Chaser by using the slope back canvas and inflatable pads on the deck floor. Lots of room if you have pedestal seats up front. The deck floor on a 19 Chaser is about the same as the 21 Arima hardtop which is to say nice and large.

Why not consider something like the double eagle 185 or campion 542. Seems better fit for your needs.. smoother ride in big water too.

So do you think I’m making a mistake buying a Sea ranger over my sea chaser? I wish I could see one but I don’t see any sea rangers in the Nanaimo area. Just so I could judge if the floor is enough room and the cuddy will sleep two comfortably
My main objective is to go fishing in bigger water such as Bamfield, winter harbour, etc and spend a couple nights on the boat. I can’t currently do that. I do love my sea chaser though
My very personal preference would be the sea ranger hardtop.

I've never been on one. What do you like so much about them?
Once you own a nice Arima for some time, other boats just aren’t the same. If I didn’t have two kids and a wife that want to overnight, I’d way prefer my old 19’ Ranger hardtop over my SeaSport 22. It rode much better than my SeaSport does under normal conditions (chop less than 1’), more stable, no wood construction, unsinkable, easy launch and trailerable, excellent range and very stable platform. There is a reason they’re so expensive

Once you own a nice Arima for some time, other boats just aren’t the same. If I didn’t have two kids and a wife that want to overnight, I’d way prefer my old 19’ Ranger hardtop over my SeaSport 22. It rode much better than my SeaSport does under normal conditions (chop less than 1’), more stable, no wood construction, unsinkable, easy launch and trailerable, excellent range and very stable platform. There is a reason they’re so expensive
Where do you boat that less than 1' chop is the normal? I have a hard time believing in anything other than flat calm that a much flatter bottomed boat would ride better than a much heavier, deep v, 22' boat.

Last edited:
Where do you boat that less than 1' chop is the normal? I have a hard time believing in anything other than flat calm that a much flatter bottomed boat would ride better than a much heavier 22' boat.
I’m constantly trying to get the balance on my SeaSport right when running.. it’s a bit of a pain. With the Arima at same speeds, it’s a lot less work. I guess I’m saying, if it’s not too rough out, the Arima was much easier to run and more forgiving . Ya, overal the bigger boat takes the rough stuff way better but sometimes a smaller boat can perform as well, if not better, if it’s a great overall package. Lots of days are nice and calm and have chop less than 1’

I have a 19 Sea Ranger in Victoria, if you want to come by and check it out. It has a cabin that sleeps 2. Maybe not super comfy for many nights but I am 6'5 and did several overnighters with my wife or one of my boys. The deck is large enough - I fish 3-4 people regularly. The Ranger is the perfect compromise between a nice fishing platform and a family boat. I have a skip top that is 6'7 tall underneath. At first I wanted a factory hard top but now I am glad that I got the skip top instead. The full standup height makes the boat much bigger and more comfortable compared to the hardtop. Highly recommend this setup. As you said, trim tabs are a must. A 115 motor is enough. If you like it sporty go 130 or 140 but not really necessary - I tow big skiers fine with the 115. Hydraulic steering - a must. Get a tilt steering wheel. I'd forgo the bait well pump with its underwater through-hull. Get a washdown pump inside this bait well instead and have it plumbed with intake hose overtop the transom. If you can, have them put in a carrier hose for the fresh water hose to the second stern well so that you can later replace the fresh water hose if needed. Without the carrier hose you can'r replace this ever the way they install it. Get 2 wipers and decent wipers. Get the motor well cover, that's a great feature. And get their solid kicker bracket. Ask for a beefier anchor pulpit. And a better tank level gauge system than their standard. Good luck!

Last edited:
Back