April 1 Fishing Regs-sell your Boats!!

I’m in too. I keep hearing the term “cultural appropriation” thrown about. Seems like cultural appropriation would be using white mans tools to fish for traditional food and ceremonial reasons. Maybe there’s an angle there we can exploit.
Read the cases. That odious term and ”angle“ has been rejected by the courts.

You didn’t understand my post. It was not about my beliefs about how people should enjoy their time on the water. It was pointing out that because of the way some people enjoy their time on the water, less fish to keep means less available opportunities for those who provide the that kind of experience. Collapse of the east coast cod fishery affected many lives and if the salmon’s future heads in the same direction, it will get worse.
I think that's still wrong. People enjoying their time on the water catching and releasing fish from a moving boat with downriggers 80'-280' down for 6-8 hours will kill more fish than the family that goes out and catches and keeps a fish for dinner then moves on to crabbing or sightseeing. When I'm allowed to keep one I don't ever encounter more than a few fish in a day. It's quite simple.

lol it does Not matter how good you are

according to the government there is a 20% C&R mortality. Ever 5th fish is a dead fish.

If it C&R was wildly adopted it would get shut down. There reasoning behind keeping MSF closed was that it was gonna put to much pressure on wild stocks. These measures are to make sure boats stay off the water period.
Doesn’t the 20% C&R mortality figure have to be multiplied by the percentage of all salmon actually caught? Surely no one (even in government) thinks that every salmon in the ocean will be pulled to the side of a boat if fishing is allowed?

Let’s change the narrative for a second.

Playland. Disneyland. Knots Berry Farm

Why do places like this exist? so they can amuse the masses? No. once you get thru the gates you spend and spend and spend. They make money with popcorn, and those little donuts and deep fried ice cream.

The economic benefits that sport fishing derives in all the little communities up and down the coast , hotels , restaurants, tourism etc should be enough of a motivator for the PROVINCIAL govt to wade in to Ottawa and take over the fishery.

I’m amazed at the amount of shaming that is happening on this forum towards people that just want to harvest fish. For me, the worst part of the entire day is smashing a beautiful species over the head with a stick. To me that’s not what it’s about. it’s a way of life that i’ve been accustomed to since i was a small child. People also keep mentioning “ privilege” like we are somehow bad that we have nice boats and trucks etc. My fondest and most precious memories came in a 14’ Lund with a 9.9 Johnny.

Divide and conquer? Already done. our opponents are reading these forums and rubbing their hands together with glee.

Let’s change the narrative for a second.

Playland. Disneyland. Knots Berry Farm

Why do places like this exist? so they can amuse the masses? No. once you get thru the gates you spend and spend and spend. They make money with popcorn, and those little donuts and deep fried ice cream.

The economic benefits that sport fishing derives in all the little communities up and down the coast , hotels , restaurants, tourism etc should be enough of a motivator for the PROVINCIAL govt to wade in to Ottawa and take over the fishery.

I’m amazed at the amount of shaming that is happening on this forum towards people that just want to harvest fish. For me, the worst part of the entire day is smashing a beautiful species over the head with a stick. To me that’s not what it’s about. it’s a way of life that i’ve been accustomed to since i was a small child. People also keep mentioning “ privilege” like we are somehow bad that we have nice boats and trucks etc. My fondest and most precious memories came in a 14’ Lund with a 9.9 Johnny.

Divide and conquer? Already done. our opponents are reading these forums and rubbing their hands together with glee.
The debate is happening because their logic in the closures is how many fish die because of the rec fishery. Nobody actually wants to have this conversation.

I get the divide and conquer thing. I think having these debates on here is healthy. I learn things all the time from them. I'm confident that 99% of the guys on this forum are good people that I would be happy to share a couple pops with. It's ok to disagree.

My point is, if you think hooking and releasing 40 chinook in a afternoon (this is a number a fellow angler quoted me in the 2019 August bonanza) isn't harming more chinook than bonking the first keeper and heading home... I don't know what to say. C and R fisheries differ throughout the world based on mortality rates etc. That's not comparing apples to apples. Different species handle it differently.

One of the top anglers in Sooke doesn't eat any fish. He actually been C and R for years since old days. Way before all of this noise. Believe it or not there are many anglers that don't retain fish, and just go out to enjoy.

Again not agreeing with the decision, but same could be said about other species. Everything has mortality even shellfish.

I will be doing C and R this year myself when I have too. And regardless of how you feel mortality or what ******** NGO brainwashing paper say it shouldn't make anglers feel guilty. Like I said C and R is practiced world wide.

I just had this thought. I could definitely see the NGO's arguing this point. C and R could actually be more damaging to the resource than allowing anglers to keep one fish a day. Especially if they added in the "you have to stop fishing once you've got your one fish" rule. C and R is unlimited. No way to regulate it. Don't have to mark released fish on your license. Really hard to even track the impact. I suppose they could do creel surveys on how many fish you played.

I recall a time where I was working through a bunch of wild coho trying to get my one hatch. On a guided trip. After releasing a number of gill hooked, bleeding fish and one that went through the kicker. The guide said enough. I agreed with him.

Again, if you guys want to go out and do some C and R, that's cool. I could see a time where I'll be out there too, just to remember what a screaming reel sounds like. There is a impact though.

Anyway. You guys enjoy your Saturday. I'm going to go forget about this mess the government has built for us.

down to having almost nothing left to cut in 19/20, that it was inevitable that other areas on the coast would get hit more. Our six-month summer Chinook season has been shortened every year or few years to the point where it is now
People have to adapt to C & R fishing if they actually enjoy fishing for fishing. That's the way it has been in many other successful fisheries for a long time. Such like steelhead locally. If killing fish is your primary motivation for taking your boat out, please sell it now.
This is a sport fishing forum for fishing just like a hunting forum would be for hunting or a boating forum for boating.
Have you ever seen a hunter catch and release anything?
I think most fisherman like to bring something home to eat and to do that we dispatch humanely( kill) so don’t tell me what I need to get used to.Even vegetarians need to kill some plants to eat.

The debate is happening because their logic in the closures is how many fish die because of the rec fishery. Nobody actually wants to have this conversation.
Anyone see this today? https://news.google.com/articles/CA...Aow0tGKATCk9i4wnr88?hl=en-CA&gl=CA&ceid=CA:en

DFO altering reports, apparently to save a gill net fishery? Opposition should be all over this. No way DFO is operating on science, for or against a fishery. They are either incompetent or inappropriately lobbied.

This is a sport fishing forum for fishing just like a hunting forum would be for hunting or a boating forum for boating.
Have you ever seen a hunter catch and release anything?
I think most fisherman like to bring something home to eat and to do that we dispatch humanely( kill) so don’t tell me what I need to get used to.Even vegetarians need to kill some plants to eat.

Not even close to hunting. Try again.

lol it does Not matter how good you are

according to the government there is a 20% C&R mortality. Ever 5th fish is a dead fish.

If it C&R was wildly adopted it would get shut down. There reasoning behind keeping MSF closed was that it was gonna put to much pressure on wild stocks. These measures are to make sure boats stay off the water period.
Well I think there is a lot of scope for improvement in C&R procedures to lessen mortality. I am not pretending that I know all the answers but a high degree of efficiency has been achieved in other areas of fishing through the process of time, evolution, innovation leading to remarkable survival rates. It is either this or stop fishing.
For myself I could not imagine wanting to continue the costs of boat ownership etc if I could not practice C&R. I mean, to motor all the way across to Thrasher, catch a fish within fifteen minutes and then come home? Crazy! Sometimes even with four on board you could be done easily within an hour or even much less.

Back