April 1 Fishing Regs-sell your Boats!!

i agree.. while I have never believed sending emails and letters to have any impact... If it does, we would have seen positive changes by now. It very close to my tipping point in making a decision to sell or keep my fishing boat.. It has been rigged perfectly for chinook fishing and I have spent loads of hard earned money like everyone else... Perhaps a good idea to sell now while market is hot since when the market becomes flooded by fishing boats you won't get top dollar. What a sad state we are in and what a bunch of idiots who run our gov and our fishing resources...

I vote for uprising...
I sold my Orca last year pretty much because of the regs-I was getting older and didn't want to get a new crew together for fishing the other side of the island and I just couldn't justify the huge expense of running a boat like that for the few weeks of restricted fishing we are allowed over this side, Really sad and so short sighted by a government that panders to sponsored activist groups and Woke politicians and NGO"s

I doubt anything will change. I can't see some great miracle which is going to turn around the demise of our salmon fishery and the habitat that once supported it. It's been happening for decades. The hard efforts of a few are not enough, though I very much appreciate their efforts. I don't think the majority of voters in Canada, mostly city folk will give any more than empty token care about salmon. They just don't see the importance of anything beyond cell phones and T.V.
So unless you can get use to, enjoy catch and release fishing, increased restrictions. etc. like in so many other popular fisheries, "sell your boats," I'll be watching.;)
It blows my mind that a group of commercial prawn guys can get a regulation changed within days but a billion dollar sport fishing industry gets the total brush off. What’re we doing wrong?

It blows my mind that a group of commercial prawn guys can get a regulation changed within days but a billion dollar sport fishing industry gets the total brush off. What’re we doing wrong?
we are too nice... when we get a regulation change and dont like it, we send emails to ask for a different outcome.. when FN and commercial guys get threatened with regulation change, its all out war....the FN and commercial guys are willing to go to extreme measures and DFO knows that... thats the difference...

we are too nice... when we get a regulation change and dont like it, we send emails to ask for a different outcome.. when FN and commercial guys get threatened with regulation change, its all out war....the FN and commercial guys are willing to go to extreme measures and DFO knows that... thats the difference...
Agree..... And I am afraid that the SFAB with its limitation of "advisory" plays into our lack of clout .

I have done what I can by sending emails, attending the rally last year, etc. etc. because I think it is the right thing to do, but I don't hold out much hope that DFO will make a decision that any of us will be happy with. In fact, I wouldn't even bet that there will be a decision at all this season. Like others have said, the politicians consider making no decision is actually a "decision" as they fall back on last year's regs. They probably feel that the longer they can put it off, pretty soon, the season will be over and they won't have to worry about it. Jason, in yesterday's PA blog said he thinks there might be a decision by Wednesday. I hope he is right. I would like to stop wondering when or if we will be able to keep a chinook, or even fish for them, locally this year. Don't expect our concerns and issues to get any public sympathy. Nobody other that us and the industry we support cares that we can't fish. We are 95% outnumbered by the special interest groups whose agenda opposes ours. When I retired a couple of years ago, I expected to be spending much of my time fishing and travelling. Covid19 and the fishing regs ruined both of those for me.

I did start a thread to take DFO to court. but no one seems to think this will get their attention.

I did start a thread to take DFO to court. but no one seems to think this will get their attention.
They have an endless supply of money (ours) to fight this and endless lawyers (paid by us).

We have no PR strategy and can’t pull our sh*t together when a unified voice is needed.

Agree..... And I am afraid that the SFAB with its limitation of "advisory" plays into our lack of clout .
What makes you believe you have anything other than advisory?

If I was a political entity, I would start an opposing position group so I could control the issues.
Or I would get a bunch of paid types to look stupid and uncaring.

For all the science of which molecule causes ALL the problems
They just refuse empirical evidence, which is also a proven scientific method, cause and effect.
Salmon farms = Run reductions almost year for year.
Seal protection = Run reductions
Both Political decisions, not based on science but on public opinion.

These scientists don't check for foreign viruses in streams and lakes, if they do they keep it quiet.
Morton was a hero and had a very good answer about salmon needing to be elite athletes and the ill are dying or eaten

If I put my hand in boiling water I don't need to know how the water was heated to know it is hot, but these scientists will argue about, it is an open flame, it is volcanic activity, it is solar power, it is nuclear, it is .... lots to look into before agreeing it is hot.

Until there is a monetary fund to support Rec fishers in court, most will just be Canadian and take it and the smoke blown up our a.....

what we were give last year and what will be given to us this year is crumbs. Sad part is when even the crumbs are taken away, thats when a larger portion of the rec sector will give a damn. Unfortunately there will be nothing left to fight for... Like many things in life, when its gone we all realize how much it means to us...but the bus has already left the station. I am confident the delayed annoucement will be status quo from last year. Decision was made last year... Pissed off they just dont announce it on apr1st. But the clowns and cowards in Ottawa arent man enough to annouce bad news..they need to hide behind cover...

what we were give last year and what will be given to us this year is crumbs. Sad part is when even the crumbs are taken away, thats when a larger portion of the rec sector will give a damn. Unfortunately there will be nothing left to fight for... Like many things in life, when its gone we all realize how much it means to us...but the bus has already left the station. I am confident the delayed annoucement will be status quo from last year. Decision was made last year... Pissed off they just dont announce it on apr1st. But the clowns and cowards in Ottawa arent man enough to annouce bad news..they need to hide behind cover...
I’m curious. What do you do to with regards to fish other than write letters?

They have an endless supply of money (ours) to fight this and endless lawyers (paid by us).
Not only an endless supply of money, but the ability to change regulations and acts, that will make any court challenge difficult. The indigenous challenges are successful because they have contracts in the form of treaties.

There may be a way to challenge the legality of sector allocations. Commercial vs individual, by using some of the recent decisions in court regarding treaty rights.

Not only an endless supply of money, but the ability to change regulations and acts, that will make any court challenge difficult. The indigenous challenges are successful because they have contracts in the form of treaties.

There may be a way to challenge the legality of sector allocations. Commercial vs individual, by using some of the recent decisions in court regarding treaty rights.
I asked earelier, and so far have had no reply, which I find interesting. If you call for money to fight DFO in court, if you say that we are not fighting something because we have no money, then you just have an undefined wish....we want to be able catch fish more often....you don't go raising money to fight an undefined wish in court, and of course it would reach Supreme court.

There needs to be a clear, defined statement about how our legal rights have been ignored or decided against, and then you can raise money for a clear and reasoned fight....so what is the legal basis for a court challenge?

I asked earelier, and so far have had no reply, which I find interesting. If you call for money to fight DFO in court, if you say that we are not fighting something because we have no money, then you just have an undefined wish....we want to be able catch fish more often....you don't go raising money to fight an undefined wish in court, and of course it would reach Supreme court.

There needs to be a clear, defined statement about how our legal rights have been ignored or decided against, and then you can raise money for a clear and reasoned fight....so what is the legal basis for a court challenge?

I’m no lawyer; but i think one needs to legally determine if chinook, hali ling prawns etc are a public, natural resource. it doesn’t feel that way anymore if they are.

I’m no lawyer; but i think one needs to legally determine if chinook, hali ling prawns etc are a public, natural resource. it doesn’t feel that way anymore if they are.
Isn't this why the bar fisherman did that protest? So they could then fight the fines they received.
I think all we'd be fighting is the validity of the science for a MSF which would then turn into a battle against FN access AND conservation and then like a thumb in the eye, fights over.

Isn't this why the bar fisherman did that protest? So they could then fight the fines they received.
I think all we'd be fighting is the validity of the science for a MSF which would then turn into a battle against FN access AND conservation and then like a thumb in the eye, fights over.
i honestly dunno. i’m just getting sick and tired of hearing about salmon shortages when the fishing outside my door is flat out stupid. 20 plus fish days not uncommon and not one clipped fish so if it goes to marked select up here we are just wasting time, gas and injuring fish.

Back