Anyone hit Cowichan lake rescently

PS, I have in the very distant past killed a fish or two from the Cowichan system and I must say they are damn tasty. They do indeed taste sea run unlike the socks that reside in our local lakes around Victoria.

There's always been a few summer runs in the river, but usually in hard to effectively fish spots. There are also a few early springs and (I'm told) sea run browns.

I have noted springs in the system as early as June and have definitely taken up to 12 lb searun browns! ( sea lice still on them ) They were not atlantics .

quote:Originally posted by Big Green Machine

What about retaining a fin clipped rainbow that is 45 centimeteres? This fish could be a steelhead but as the regs read I can kill it without a steelhead stamp. Just saying....I don't kill rainbows or steelhead.

I think that you're correct.

quote:Originally posted by kildonan

We need to get Horny signed up on here as a member posting opinions. :D
Had to read that twice before I got 'er.... That would be an interesting opinion :D

Its a lake .... what would it take to add another line and say no rainbows over 50cm?

Its not that hard to simplify that for the average Joe [?]

quote:Originally posted by Lipripper

Had to read that twice before I got 'er.... That would be an interesting opinion :D

Its a lake .... what would it take to add another line and say no rainbows over 50cm?

That is not the point as it applies here.

There is no non retention of trout/char over 50cm line for Cowie Lake because for now the regs don't call for this.

If you look at other Lakes with anadromous RBT (Nahmint Lake) this applies and is considered reg.

quote:Originally posted by JuandeOne

There is no non retention of trout/char over 50cm line for Cowie Lake because for now the regs don't call for this.

If you look at other Lakes with anadromous RBT (Nahmint Lake) this applies and is considered reg.

Again, I have to respectfully disagree with you. The Island wide ban on over 50cm rainbows in lakes where steelhead are known to exist takes precedent. Other regulations may also be posted but the Region 1 bans are still in effect. You have also got to remember that the regulations as we get them are not printed by the government but are sub contracted out making them more susceptable to errors. That's where the descretion of the CO becomes paramount.

quote:Originally posted by JuandeOne

Again, I have to respectfully disagree with you. The Island wide ban on over 50cm rainbows in lakes where steelhead are known to exist takes precedent. Other regulations may also be posted but the Region 1 bans are still in effect. You have also got to remember that the regulations as we get them are not printed by the government but are sub contracted out making them more susceptable to errors. That's where the descretion of the CO becomes paramount.

Back