Anyone hit Cowichan lake rescently

highlights

Was up on the weekend but was tired after the renfrew gig. Didn't get a chance to put the boat in the water. Heard of a few fish being taken in the lake. Good size too. Wondering what you all are experiencing out there.

One person that I talked to recently caught and kept a 7 1/2 lb "rainbow" from the lake. He wasn't aware that all large wild rainbows in the lake are deemed to be steelhead and have to be released, just like the cutthroats. The regulations should be clearer on that as I'm sure others make the same mistake.

quote:Originally posted by porcupine

One person that I talked to recently caught and kept a 7 1/2 lb "rainbow" from the lake. He wasn't aware that all large wild rainbows in the lake are deemed to be steelhead and have to be released, just like the cutthroats. The regulations should be clearer on that as I'm sure others make the same mistake.
No. Your wrong there. Big time. No regulations for anywhere in the province reads that way. Stop saying stupid crap like that. Your basically saying that any big trout is a steelhead which are not. I have caught monster trout in BC that were not steelhead.

Actually there are many lakes with river links to the ocean that have a 50 cm rule for "trout" caught in them.
You best read the regs. and look for them.
I'm not sure what the regs are for Cowichan Lake but you can certainly check that out easily enough.
That rule to release all Rainbows over 50 cm is to protect steelhead that go through lakes and spawn in flows that feed into the lake, thereby spending some time in the lake where they are susceptible to sports anglers.
That rule wouldn't apply in lakes that have no ocean access of course, which might be confusing you a bit.

Take care.

Wow, someone needs to relax. If anyone is up on the regs it would have to be porcupine. Do a little search on the fellow and you will realize his credentials. His job is on the line after all when it comes to things of this nature. Read his post again. Even he states the regs are a little confusing. Cowichan lake has the 50cm rule to protect not only the larger brood stock of cutthroat but to ensure steelhead are not mistaken for resident rainbows.

COWICHAN LAKE
(including Bear Lake)
1-4 Cutthroat trout daily quota = 2 (none over 50 cm)
Bait ban and single barbless hook, Nov 15-Apr 15
Speed restriction on parts (8 km/h), plus overall 10 km/h speed restriction within 60 m of shore

Did something change? I always thought you had to release anything over 50cm.... now I am only seeing it for cutts
[?][?]

Hmm, yeah I just did a check too.

I am baffled as it says unless otherwise posted that one trout over 50cm may be kept.

Hmm... whats the deal because it clearly states that no cutthroat over 50 may be kept. Nothing about rainbows. other than the rule of 4 a day with only one over 50cm. Guess the guys at elk have to keep that in mind hey.

If you read ALL of the freshwater regulations you will find that in Region 1 that all wild steelhead have to be released. No exceptions. If you look at the back of the regulations in the "Definitons you should know" you will find "steelhead.....a rainbow trout longer than 50 cm in waters where anadromous rainbow trout are found. Both hatchery and wild steelhead may be found in B.C. waters." It is well known that steelhead swim through Cowichan Lake into streams such as Shaw Creek, and several others. Therefore, any rainbow over 50 cm in Cowichan Lake is a "steelhead". I don't write the laws, but I can read. I agree that it could be more plainly written in the regs, but it still is true, any non fin clipped rainbow over 50 cm from Cowichan Lake has to be released.

If you read ALL of the freshwater regulations you will find that in Region 1 that all wild steelhead have to be released. No exceptions. If you look at the back of the regulations in the "Definitons you should know" you will find "steelhead.....a rainbow trout longer than 50 cm in waters where anadromous rainbow trout are found. Both hatchery and wild steelhead may be found in B.C. waters." It is well known that steelhead swim through Cowichan Lake into streams such as Shaw Creek, and several others. Therefore, any rainbow over 50 cm in Cowichan Lake is a "steelhead". I don't write the laws, but I can read. I agree that it could be more plainly written in the regs, but it still is true, any non fin clipped rainbow over 50 cm from Cowichan Lake has to be released.

Ok I read the regs and this post and it didn't make clear sense. I fish Cowie frequently so had to know the answer.

Finally was routed to the Senior Biologist in Nanaimo for MOE that stated according to the current regs, wild RBT over 50 cm in Cowichan Lake are not considered steelhead and can be retained.

Their are no clipped trout in Cowichan Lake. Only the odd Steely, but need a steelhead stamp to retain.

Always wondered about the rainbows in cowichan, but according to the req's porcupine is correct. caught some in the past over 8 lbs and there was one caught about 16 lbs that was in the king fisherman contest close to 30 yrs ago.

From the current freshwater fishing regulations synopsis:

Page 14

REGIONAL DAILY CATCH QUOTAS
(See tables for exceptions)
Trout/char: 4, but not more than
• 1 over 50 cm
(2 hatchery steelhead over 50 cm
allowed)
• 2 from streams
And you must release:
All Dolly Varden
ALL WILD STEELHEAD
Cutthroat Trout from streams,
Oct. 1 to May 31

Page 96

steelhead … a rainbow trout longer than 50
cm in waters where anadromous rainbow
trout are found. Both hatchery and wild
steelhead may be found in B.C. waters.

If a rainbow trout is over 50 cm and caught where
where anadromous rainbow trout are found, according to the regulations it must be released.

The biologist in Nanaimo was in error. Their own past studies show that rainbows swim the lake and into tributary streams. It does happen that government employees often don't give out correct information, as many members of the forum may have experienced. By the way, I also have a degree in biology and have taken graduate courses at UVic in fish studies. It's how the CO in the field and the judge determine the regs that count.

From the current freshwater fishing regulations synopsis:

Page 14

REGIONAL DAILY CATCH QUOTAS
(See tables for exceptions)
Trout/char: 4, but not more than
• 1 over 50 cm
(2 hatchery steelhead over 50 cm
allowed)
• 2 from streams
And you must release:
All Dolly Varden
ALL WILD STEELHEAD
Cutthroat Trout from streams,
Oct. 1 to May 31

Page 96

steelhead … a rainbow trout longer than 50
cm in waters where anadromous rainbow
trout are found. Both hatchery and wild
steelhead may be found in B.C. waters.

If a rainbow trout is over 50 cm and caught where
where anadromous rainbow trout are found, according to the regulations it must be released.

The biologist in Nanaimo was in error. Their own past studies show that rainbows swim the lake and into tributary streams. It does happen that government employees often don't give out correct information, as many members of the forum may have experienced. By the way, I also have a degree in biology and have taken graduate courses at UVic in fish studies. It's how the CO in the field and the judge determine the regs that count.

Well I possess a Technical Diploma in Fisheries and Aquaculture from VIU.:Dlol.

The guy I talked too was adiment that bodies of water are each regulated in this regard on an individul basis and as Cowichan Lake has no specific regulation on non retention of trout/char over 50 cm this does not apply. He is also the guy who leads the drafting of the regs which convinced me he was credible.

I understand your thought process but to expect anglers to link information from all over the guide to come up with a specific regulation is rediculous.

As mentioned that is why they explicitly include the "non retention of trout/char over 50 cm" piece if applicable to a specific body of water.

It is my understanding that the definitions and region regulations supercede those for the individual bodies of water, unless it specifically states otherwise. It is not rediculous for any sportsman to read and understand both the provincial and regional regulations. I asked a CO once about this years ago and they agreed that the rainbows had to be released, just like strike indicators are not supposed to be used on the fly fishing only section (another can of worms).

It is my understanding that the definitions and region regulations supercede those for the individual bodies of water, unless it specifically states otherwise. It is not rediculous for any sportsman to read and understand both the provincial and regional regulations. I asked a CO once about this years ago and they agreed that the rainbows had to be released, just like strike indicators are not supposed to be used on the fly fishing only section (another can of worms).

In most cases I agree but the fact we are coming at this issue from two interpretations seems a tad ascue.

Also, as you point out, if the regs are laid out in a manner that a senior biologist for MOE, who is responsible for drafting them, is "out to lunch" then there is a problem.

I agree there is a problem with how the regs are laid out. I'm going to recommend to the province that they include on all lakes with steelhead that are listed for other lake specific reulations that they also include a release for wild rainbows there as well. As for me, I wouldn't keep a wild rainbow over 50 cm from Cowichan Lake, nor would I reccomend it.

What about retaining a fin clipped rainbow that is 45 centimeteres? This fish could be a steelhead but as the regs read I can kill it without a steelhead stamp. Just saying....I don't kill rainbows or steelhead.

Strike indicators.......... your right and tippet lead. There are ways around that one legally though. But nonetheless a real pain when you are trying to introduce Montana flyfishers who fish droppers and indicators on their home rivers. We have some monster rainbows in the Cowichan system. I'd say more so however in the river. I pound the lake hard and I rarley if ever catch any rainbows of any significant size. The hogs however are seasonal and obviously Steelhead. Even in the river ( and I can tell a resident trout ) I have seen schools of no less than a hundred rainbows that aren't pot bellied pigs with white tipped pectoral fins. These are chrome bullets that are ghostly in the water. I have many many snorkel trips on that river and I would bet there is a very elusive run of summer steelhead in that system ( I said it ) I too would release any large fish from Cowichan unless my life depended on it.

The lake fishery to me is just a little fun on the side anyways. Always interesting to see what comes up from the depths.

Back