ANY Suzuki sidetrak/tracker/sun runner/ owners on here???

wolf

So I just got me one of these lil units and must say impressive little vehicles.Reason why i got one went hunting in fall in one to the interior and was amazed at how it climbed and how GOOD it was on fuel...

So was wondering how many on here have one and any modifications you've done etc grief .non grief etc

Im seriously thinking of the suspension lift kit as this beast is in really good shape hardly any rust towers are pristine and so is the back from what ive read in the "trouble" spots very very minimal there twoonie size ...

anyone on here done one?? and any pointers?

pictures of before was how badly the valve cover was leaking oil EVERYWHERE gasket was less then 10 bucks.... and the rest is after pics

thanks in advance

Attachments

• 10982130_10153002173516084_5116759880415778187_n.jpg
    10982130_10153002173516084_5116759880415778187_n.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 406
  • 11025116_10153002173416084_8288600237784122064_n.jpg
    11025116_10153002173416084_8288600237784122064_n.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 406
  • 11026010_10153002173576084_5970053823388503284_n.jpg
    11026010_10153002173576084_5970053823388503284_n.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 405
I think it's going on to 5 years ago we bought a 1988 Suzuki Samurai, hardtop, completely stock, with the 1.3l engine. After using a 1998 Polaris sportsman 500 quad for fall hunting this is the DREAM quad, it has a hard top, windows that roll up & down, windshield & wipers and a heater. It will go almost, and I say almost but not quite, the places the quad would go but in comfort compared to the sportsman. It has astounded us as to the places and off road trails it has gone. I have a 8.5' x 20' enclosed cargo trailer so both the Samurai & Polaris go with us.
When you look at the cost of a used quad compared to the cost of a used enclosed Samurai, there is no way else to go ....................once you get up in years of age like us, also the dog
doesn't mind sharing the rear with a deer or half an elk.

The one word I would describe the Samurai is "Mindboggling"

Great little 4X4's...... I've owned many. I always found my self drawn to the Suzuki Samurai's

Last one was raised 6", 35" swappers, toyota bucket seats, hard top, black wheels, black paint job, blacked out windows, winch, custom bumpers, motor done 50 over at performance in North Vancouver. It went everywhere I pointed it

Was similar to this one
image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup have a 91 and its a hunting machine. Watch the timing belt and you don't know if its been done get it done. Nice little tin top you got there!

Picked this up last year down in the US, no rust and completely stock. Only have sun damage on the paint and exterior plastics. Having heat, rain cover, and insurance for those areas that require it or don't allow un-licensed vehicles make it a great buggy. Stopped in at this shop www.trailtough.com last year in Medford, OR. They had a bunch of stuff for Sami's and Sidekicks, seemed like pretty good guys from the couple of ones I talked to. Have fun with the buggy, they seem to crawl anywhere in 4 low, no speed records will be made and a rough ride, but still better than a quad when you are hunting blacktails at the top end of the island in sleet and snow:).

Regards,

Fishyboy

Attachments

• Sami pic resized.jpg
    Sami pic resized.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 359
How hard is it to do timing belt?
As it was easy so far doing the lil things that ive had to do ... thanks in advance

I had one for a while and they are great. the only thing I can add is if on the highway be carefull around anything big. the air coming off rigs can have a tendency to push you pretty hard. almost put mine on its side following 1 rig passing another.

If I recall correctly it's not bad to do and you can change out the water pump at the same time.

Secret for you...... When getting parts price out Suzuki part and GM. Parts are the same prices are different. Cheapest oil filter used to be factory Suzuki filter.

Most guys put off set wheels on them. Cheapest and easiest way was to locate old ford wheels. Ford Bronco wheels I believe.

I had one for a while and they are great. the only thing I can add is if on the highway be carefull around anything big. the air coming off rigs can have a tendency to push you pretty hard. almost put mine on its side following 1 rig passing another.
Steering stabilizer shock helps with that feeling as well as rut hop when in your own lane. You really feel the hump in the center of your lane. The offset wheels in my last post widen you stance and help with both issues.

Do you have power steering? I added it to mine

If I recall correctly it's not bad to do and you can change out the water pump at the same time.

Secret for you...... When getting parts price out Suzuki part and GM. Parts are the same prices are different. Cheapest oil filter used to be factory Suzuki filter.

Most guys put off set wheels on them. Cheapest and easiest way was to locate old ford wheels. Ford Bronco wheels I believe.
actually the Ford Bronco rims only have a 5" diameter hub opening and you will require 5.5" diameter openings to clear the manual locking hubs.

Many of these had auto hubs and were switched to manual hubs. I think we put toyota ones on but had to change out a part, and grind or replace a ring clip when doing so.

I am sure they were Ford wheels, almost positive bronco. It was 18-20 years ago :)

Stopped at many wreckers trying to find the right ones

We used to swap out to the toyota dayna axels as well.

UPDATE.........

Ford wheels....... Yes I am not losing it :)
http://www.zukiworld.com/forum/gene...k/?PHPSESSID=a400a26a1a3fe6021ea8eb56cb609bed

I also remember replacing lug nuts to tapered nuts as the centers on the wheels didnt match up. Suzuki actually used a flat lug nut. By using tappered ones and taking the time to hand tighten the nuts first you could center the wheel quite well

FA; from the thread you quoted - last entry:

Quote from: Black Zuk on May 06, 2009, 06:15:12 AM
The stock Ford wheels use a smaller center opening for some stupid reason...

Only on 2WD models; 4x4 models have the large hole.

Not always. I got a set of factory aluminum wheels off of a 4x4 Bronco and had to turn the centers out in a lathe (had to take about a 1/4" off all the way around, IIRC), to get them to clear the hubs and the axle/drum bolts/nuts. And all the same style wheels I have seen on the 4x4 F 150s have the same sized center hole (that is too small)

I bought and lifted a 92 tracker three years ago. And your right FA, the 5" diameter will fit the front hubs. Its the brake drum bolts on the rear wheels that it will not clear. I drove all the way out to Chiliwack to see a set from a 75 bobtail Bronco (gorgeous restore) and they did not fit.

I first got back into hunting about 5 years ago and when my son expressed an interest and he finally got his CORE and resident hunting number, I started looking at quads. I did not look for very long.......:mad:

Two Used Quads $10,000
Trailer to carry them $2500

92 Tracker $1800
Tires, rims 2" suspension lift and 2" body lift, 8000 lb cheap winch $1500
Total cost $3300

Ability to go hunting with my son in "relative" comfort........Priceless

IMG_1652 edited.jpg

Lift kit is a very simple block on the coil springs front and rear. Its not a great suspension lift, but its super cheap and an acceptable way to grab 2" of lift.

IMG_1628.JPG

IMG_1630.JPG

IMG_1633.JPG
I also put in a 2" body lift . You will need both of these to clear 31" x 10.5 tires.
I also added a superwinch 8000 lb winch $300 on line. Crazy cheap.

IMG_1651.JPG

International rims maybe? I am still sure they were Bronco rims though :)

Is Rio still in the business? He used to have a shop out of his house, then moved behind a yellow tire shop out near IKEA in Coquitlam. The guy was a genius with Suzuki's. Made tons of custom parts and kits. Most of his parts were painted orange.

Thanks Fin thats what im looking for ill definitely be asking you for more advice as you have ben there done it... Just picked up a used one as well for parts thing runs but is rusted out so got lots of spare parts now.....engine and powertrain is good ...

Thanks Fin thats what im looking for ill definitely be asking you for more advice as you have ben there done it... Just picked up a used one as well for parts thing runs but is rusted out so got lots of spare parts now.....engine and powertrain is good ...
No problems Wolf, ask away. I did both body lifts in my house garage in a weekend. Body lift one day, suspension lift the next. As long as all the bolts come free and there is no rust around the mount holes, the lifts are pretty easy. In the fall on a crisp dry day, there is nothing like driving the roads with both the back and the top off and looking for deer. There is one other big advantage to kicks vs. quads, they are amazingly quiet when running. Deer can hear quads from miles away, but a kick is nearly stealth road hunting:rolleyes:

I have a 92 Geo Tracker 3 inch body lift and gonna add the 2 inch suspension lift this summer. great in the mud also

cheers

Noticed when I first got it this thing attached to side of throttle body that has 3 vacuum lines going into it , sort of looked weird to me as it didnt have a cap just some sort of "felt" material??? didnt think too much of it drove it around a bit noticed when I took foot of gas it would "shudder" a bit was like oh well thats just the way they are... NOW with this parts one I picked up noticed this lil part has a cover atc so im like ok cool so swap it out notice there is emblems on either end on the top but have no clue what they mean??? so take a chance go for a burn nope still "shudders" abit ok so lets spin it so the vacuum lines are in the other way instantly smoother.... go for another burn shudder gone .... ok so what is this part?????

Next thing was the heater work sort of ok was reading a SOOK forum where you take lines off and give it a flush so though wth give her a go brown **** comes flying out flush back and forth till water comes out clean ok fill er back up with antifreeze... WOW now shes got serious heat...

next will be the lift and paint it ...

I hear someone up island makes the suspension lifts for these things somewhere near Campbell river or Courtney does anyone know??? as id rather support a local guy ..

thanks in advance Wolf

Here are a few after market manufacturers for Track/kick parts;

Altered Ego is in Kelowna and they build some really nice (and a bit expensive) stuff. Calmini is also top notch gear from what I have read but also pricey. I went with Lowrange for most of my parts, but I did all that 2 years ago when the exchange rate made sense. Lots of guys will build the blocks for both body and suspension lift and there really is not much to them. I chose to go with a package as I wanted to have everything in front of me and not have to go chase down specific bolts sizes and diameters. No matter what lift you do, make sure you add a block for the third member (suspension connection from rear differential to frame. I also added the Doeschtech shocks in the rear which I would NOT recommend. they are just too stiff and I ripped off a shock frame mount as a result.

http://www.alteredegomotorsports.com/tracker-suspension.html

http://www.rocky-road.com/sidekick-tracker-lift.html

http://www.calmini.com/brand.php?b=2

https://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/

http://www.oldmanemu.com.au/

I also see that you have auto hubs. If you plan on flat towing (or "toading"), you will need to replace these with manual hubs. For towing here is what you need to do:

1. Manual hubs unlocked,
2. Key in ignition to unlock steering wheel lock
3. Remove cable from positive terminal of battery to avoid killing battery
4. Transmission and transfer case in neutral as well. Suzuki recommend transmission in 2nd gear. Not sure why.
5. set up you tow-bar and lights,
6. Every 200 miles during tow, it is recommended that you stop and fire up the motor and put transmission in gear and idle for a couple of minutes to cycle the transfer case and transmission gear oil a bit. This is definitely when you need the transmission in gear

Check out the Pdf in 2nd post on this thread.....

http://www.suzuki-forums.com/suzuki-sidekick-escudo-vitara-geo-tracker/157617-towing-question.html

Great thread Roy! Your going to love that rig for hunting. I had a 97' four door hardtop since new and it finally died a couple of years ago after a bizzilion kms and 2 engines. I should have kept it for parts because I really want to get another one. I've had a few trucks, an 80's full size Blazer, and the tracker. Hands down best 4x4 and best in the snow was the tracker.

Back