Another Boat Cruising The Rocks Jigging Off Bowen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last summer I was fishing Porlier Pass and witnessed the disaster that is the Luna Sea first hand. I was in a smaller boat trying to stay away from the big guy (we were the only 2 boats fishing at that time) but every time we would choose our spot they would come rushing over right beside us at max wake, which we took over the bow. I can also say that any fish caught, no matter size or catch limit was never released back into the water. I personally saw them taking many small rockfish maybe the size of my hand. Infuriating.

on another note, I have gone out this season just to test out the boat and tried to find some fishing in indian arm for flounders and greenling while I wait for traps to soak. I have occasionally run into rockfish so I had my descender fully set up ready to go. I know all the regulations in the area as well as RCA’s. I was fishing well outside of one in a sandy/muddy area I may add, when I had a boat rush next to me to yell at me there’s no fishing allowed in the arm at all. Not a chance to respond, he rushed off. I know it’s sometimes up to us to make sure general rules are being followed but please do not spread misinformation.

Last summer I was fishing Porlier Pass and witnessed the disaster that is the Luna Sea first hand. I was in a smaller boat trying to stay away from the big guy (we were the only 2 boats fishing at that time) but every time we would choose our spot they would come rushing over right beside us at max wake, which we took over the bow. I can also say that any fish caught, no matter size or catch limit was never released back into the water. I personally saw them taking many small rockfish maybe the size of my hand. Infuriating.

on another note, I have gone out this season just to test out the boat and tried to find some fishing in indian arm for flounders and greenling while I wait for traps to soak. I have occasionally run into rockfish so I had my descender fully set up ready to go. I know all the regulations in the area as well as RCA’s. I was fishing well outside of one in a sandy/muddy area I may add, when I had a boat rush next to me to yell at me there’s no fishing allowed in the arm at all. Not a chance to respond, he rushed off. I know it’s sometimes up to us to make sure general rules are being followed but please do not spread misinformation.
gotta love the richards and karens of the world being so righteous, while being so wrong.

Yeah it's a tough call for sure. I always like to give guys the benefit of the doubt and I rarely call this kind of stuff in. But you can tell when a guy is targeting structure in tight to the rocks. And if you approach someone and they run inside and take off that's pretty suspect. I personally avoid fishing altogether in those kinds of areas.

Was the guy up the arm in a black tinny? There definitely is an open area there and that dude knows it haha

A couple years ago we were stopped by dfo for the usual checks (barbs, fishing licenses, etc). The dfo agent asked if we saw anyone jigging and I said yes there was someone jigging in tunstall bay. The dfo had no idea what tunstall was even when I said the south west side of Bowen island. Good luck getting them to act on anything

"I reported it to DFO. Which actually was super annoying because the guy on the line didn't understand the words "jigging" or "rockfish". I had to explain what they were so he could write his report."

Amazing how they decide to hire DFO personnel. I had a similar experience when fishing for ling cod in a couple of years ago. I was pulled over by a DFO officer who was riding with a Parks Canada officer near Saturna Island.

I showed him the fish that I had caught which included a ling and a couple of different rock cod. He asked me, "what kind of fish are they?" as he had no clue. I dutifully identified the fish for him. He thanked me and moved on. Maybe that was the motivation to come up with the fish identifying app for your phone - so their own officers could identify one fish from another.

"I reported it to DFO. Which actually was super annoying because the guy on the line didn't understand the words "jigging" or "rockfish". I had to explain what they were so he could write his report."

Amazing how they decide to hire DFO personnel. I had a similar experience when fishing for ling cod in a couple of years ago. I was pulled over by a DFO officer who was riding with a Parks Canada officer near Saturna Island.

I showed him the fish that I had caught which included a ling and a couple of different rock cod. He asked me, "what kind of fish are they?" as he had no clue. I dutifully identified the fish for him. He thanked me and moved on. Maybe that was the motivation to come up with the fish identifying app for your phone - so their own officers could identify one fish from another.
This app? Yes that’ll work

Attachments

• 65F74C94-B43C-4F81-8D76-F9D7043240D6.png
    65F74C94-B43C-4F81-8D76-F9D7043240D6.png
    658 KB · Views: 206
Same story every time I’ve reported illegal fishing…

Attachments

• FBFD09DC-0DB3-4662-99BA-244DE5128586.jpeg
    FBFD09DC-0DB3-4662-99BA-244DE5128586.jpeg
    88.8 KB · Views: 231
  • C45BD928-907E-465E-AE7A-4375DA21D13B.png
    C45BD928-907E-465E-AE7A-4375DA21D13B.png
    157.6 KB · Views: 225
I had a buddy (tile setter who worked for me) he went on a tinder date. About 8 people went out on a boat like that. Jigged bottom for four hours. Kept everything. The company takes the catch to a Richmond seafood restaurant and cooks it for them. He's never fished before. He had no license, and had no idea it was highly illegal on all parts..
So when you see those jigging boats, as you take the photo tell them what they are doing is illegal. I bet most the guest are clueless.

When you phone into the 1-800 #, the person answering is a Commissionaire, hired to answer the phone and take your details. They don't necessarily know the coast or anything about fishing. The reported information then gets sent out to a Fishery Officer who should be calling you back. That doesn't always happen for many reasons.
Keep reporting stuff even if you don't get a response. It allows for planning of patrols into problem areas.

CR Greg

I had a buddy (tile setter who worked for me) he went on a tinder date. About 8 people went out on a boat like that. Jigged bottom for four hours. Kept everything. The company takes the catch to a Richmond seafood restaurant and cooks it for them. He's never fished before. He had no license, and had no idea it was highly illegal on all parts..
So when you see those jigging boats, as you take the photo tell them what they are doing is illegal. I bet most the guest are clueless.
why the f doesnt dfo get there poop together and go out on a few of these charters. they may learn how to identify species and poachers..

why the f doesnt dfo get there poop together and go out on a few of these charters. they may learn how to identify species and poachers..
clearly needs to be better testing before they hire these guys. Hire clowns and you can guarantee a circus.

When you phone into the 1-800 #, the person answering is a Commissionaire, hired to answer the phone and take your details. They don't necessarily know the coast or anything about fishing. The reported information then gets sent out to a Fishery Officer who should be calling you back. That doesn't always happen for many reasons.
Keep reporting stuff even if you don't get a response. It allows for planning of patrols into problem areas.

CR Greg
My experience in calling ORR was that I spoke with a Fisheries Officer directly, and that Officer was the one that conducted the investigation.

Last March I called ORR to report a landowner's habitat destruction (streamside logging/vegetation clearing) along a salmon bearing stream in the Fraser Valley. The Fisheries Officer I spoke with tasked a helicopter overflight of the area for imagery. When those images didn't turn out he tasked a second overflight. Then he went and did a site visit and spoke with the landowner but his access to the site was limited due to the freshet. When I called to follow up my report, I explained that what I observed he may have missed due to his lack of access. Now that the water was lower, he went out again within days of our conversation to have a second look and a second chat with with the landowner.

This question of asking "what kind of fish are they" is a investigating tactic done by dfo,
in Bamfield last yr a buddy of mine (on another boat) had this happen, when he answered the questions he was then also asked why he thought the fish were what they were, he ended up getting a warning as he had an undersized spring which he had described and thought was a pink!

In my experience, and I have a lot of it, DFO and the BCCOS have gotten away from the proper screening they used to do when hiring officers. Now days, both, and other agencies in BC and across Canada, are finding it harder and harder to hire front line staff, so they have changed their screening and hiring processes. No longer do they have to have ANY knowledge of the work they are applying for. The focus is now on schooling, mainly some sort of law or resource protection education along with a great understanding of competencies. Zero fishing, hunting, outdoor recreation or life experiences required. And, some I have met/worked with, have admitted they didn't get their RCMP job/posting, so they went for another job where they can carry a gun and work where they want to.

Plus, schooling focus has changed. Just look at the UVIC School of Law and it's direction of teaching preservation, save the world mentality. I worked with a guy who graduated from Simon Fraser with a degree is Political Science and Legal Studies and he was accepted for the interview and the whole process. Never held a fishing rod, been on the water half a dozen times in his life, only eaten fish bought from a store and had no clue about fish and wildlife protection or management.

There is lots of good officers out there, BUT, most are on the far side of their careers and they are slowly getting replaced by a new type of officer.

Times are a changing and it is happening in the world we live in right before our eyes!!

Cheers

SS

I am not very familiar with the hiring process for DFO or BC Conservation officers, but I am very familiar with the training and hiring of COs in Manitoba. There the training program is a two year diploma which is both academically rigorous and extensively hands on. Many more people apply for CO positions than there are openings so there wouldn't be many people being hired who are not very qualified. I would think there is also quite a bit of competition for federal DFO enforcement positions. I think the problem may be more limited budget and lack of personnel to do the job rather than officers not competent or motivated.

In my experience, and I have a lot of it, DFO and the BCCOS have gotten away from the proper screening they used to do when hiring officers. Now days, both, and other agencies in BC and across Canada, are finding it harder and harder to hire front line staff, so they have changed their screening and hiring processes. No longer do they have to have ANY knowledge of the work they are applying for. The focus is now on schooling, mainly some sort of law or resource protection education along with a great understanding of competencies. Zero fishing, hunting, outdoor recreation or life experiences required. And, some I have met/worked with, have admitted they didn't get their RCMP job/posting, so they went for another job where they can carry a gun and work where they want to.

Plus, schooling focus has changed. Just look at the UVIC School of Law and it's direction of teaching preservation, save the world mentality. I worked with a guy who graduated from Simon Fraser with a degree is Political Science and Legal Studies and he was accepted for the interview and the whole process. Never held a fishing rod, been on the water half a dozen times in his life, only eaten fish bought from a store and had no clue about fish and wildlife protection or management.

There is lots of good officers out there, BUT, most are on the far side of their careers and they are slowly getting replaced by a new type of officer.

Times are a changing and it is happening in the world we live in right before our eyes!!

Cheers

SS

I Know someone who went through the Entire DFO process, Tones of hunting and fishing experience with a diploma in criminology. passed the Fit test as well as an interview with DFO got accepted from DFO front line interviewers.

Went for the Psych test and failed and that was the end of that, The psychologist determine that they would act to quickly in a crisis situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back