Annual weather patterns on the coast

c_ward

Hey folks, been lurking for a while and finally posting. I'm wanting to learn a little more about what the typical weather patterns are during the course of the year. What do winds and waves do off the west coast of VI and when does it happen? I've only really been out there in the summer, June-September. How early in the year can I make trips to the outside?

Thanks,
c_ward

I use all these websites when I go to Ukee or Tofino. I take a peak once in awhile in the offseason. There hasn't been very many windows.
Sometimes there is only 2 nice days out of 4 for my small boat in the summer. Or the morning is okay before the westerlies blow up on sunny days.
Hoping to get out there in May and June myself.

Hey folks, been lurking for a while and finally posting. I'm wanting to learn a little more about what the typical weather patterns are during the course of the year. What do winds and waves do off the west coast of VI and when does it happen? I've only really been out there in the summer, June-September. How early in the year can I make trips to the outside?

Thanks,
c_ward
Welcome to the forum. Tons of great information here and many good people willing to help you.

Gosh, I think every year is different ie: no set 'for sure' pattern...
There definitely are weather windows between now and June but no one can tell you a pattern, other than that there will still be predominately SE winds and rain most likely, with the occasional break and short-lived high systems (sort of like what we're seeing now). It's really a "look at the forecast, if there's a high coming in you might have a few dry, sunny days with winds from the NW...

lots of info on this site but it’s not very user friendly. Everything from waves to wind to pollution counts. Scroll down to “control” and click the calendar tab and you can search day by day back to at least 2015.

For what it's worth, my surfing pals tell me this has been the best winter in many years for consistent good sized swells/surf along Juan de Fuca and its surf breaks. That means more storms at sea with the proper direction of fetch favoring that area. In addition, a cursory check on YouTube for big surf on and around Valentine's Day featuring any of the famous Hawaiian breaks will show the big surf they've had also. Been a lot of strong storms this year. Hard to discern an actual "pattern" methinks so for sea fishing it's best to keep a keen eye on things all the time, through any of the links others have posted here. Good luck.

Take care.

june nice, july windy, august foggy. sept mixed.

Wow, thanks for all the information. I have some reading ahead of me. Yeah I had heard similar things about June-September and westerlies in October, my goal is to get a little deeper knowledge base.

Back