Ancoring and halibut fishing!!!!

LOL.. The wall of shame grows. I am not going to post the pick for the Seasport that anchored beside me yesterday because he moved.

My ball was under water due to tides, he threw within 200 feet of me upstream, and said "I didn't know you were anchored, I didn't see your ball", and moved. Yes, he moved right away, but come on, what the hell would I be doing in May in 250 feet of water off Albert Head??? And I was not moving? With no downriggers out, just hali rods?

Not nearly as bad as some of the other clowns posted here.

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

Well hopefully someone on this forum nows these clowns and gives them a little lesson on fishing dos and donts because its quite apparent they dont know what they are doing kinda scary as there the ones that will get in trouble out there....

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Fri before the derby we had to wave off a clown that literally was to drop his pick right where our anchor was. Considering some drift before his anchor would have reached the seafloor he would have sat 50 ft away from us. Without a doubt - anchor lines would have tangled up. No photos but it was a 19' Trophy with green canvas top and a black merc saltwater series. Thank goodness they saw me waving and shouting. Couldn't believe it. No common sense some guys. And in the middle of nowhere - way out - only because we were there.

I do not have a lot of experience in saltwater fishing but I do respect a person's right to adequate space. The few times my father could take me fishing he taught me that first of all. If I can read the numbers on a boat I am too close! Even when trolling I try to keep a respectful distance as not everybody uses the same gear or tactics.
The big issue is that some people have no manners.[V][V]

IMG_1445.jpg

quote:Originally posted by likwit

if you guys manned up and backtrolled instead of anchoring you wouldn't have this problem... ;)

It has nothing to do with "Manning Up", it has to do with the requirements of the fishery. There simply is not a dense enough population of Halibut in Victoria to reliably hit them drifting, they are spread out. Anchoring allows you to bring them to you via a scent trail.

The other reason we don't backtroll in Victoria is because our rocky bottom and fast currents would clean your tackle box out in a hurry.

I backtroll on WCVI, and anchor in Victoria because it works.

BTW, there are not a lot of backtrollers on Swiftsure right now, because the halibut are still few and far between, there will be a parade of anchor floats along the shore from Carmanah to Sombrio.

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

Mannuptrust me if i could back troll and get limits consistantly i would you could also fish alot ruffer water that way and tides wouldn't affect you as much.

what to talk about mannnig up throw youranchor out in a 5-6ft chop in a 3knt current then we'll talk about manning up. Trust me it's easier to backtroll in the crap off the west coast.

quote:Originally posted by jimbob

How does one explain the use of a ten pound ball on a downrigger when we are limited to 2 pounds fishing halibut?

you are only allowed to have 2lbs off your rod. downrigger u can run what u want

quote:Originally posted by phnapa

quote:Originally posted by jimbob

How does one explain the use of a ten pound ball on a downrigger when we are limited to 2 pounds fishing halibut?

you are only allowed to have 2lbs off your rod. downrigger u can run what u want

As long as its not fixed to your line. No more then 1 KG

So After what I saw yesterday Im thinking people may want to re read on how to anchor for those that didnt go I saw a guy yesterday in a 3 ft chop throw out all his anchor out the back near his engine ill add !!!!! but it gets better then by hand with out a bow to stern rope he walked along side of his boat with anchor rode in his HAND (luckily it didnt hook as the current was going good) only to tie it to the top of his deck cleat.... Im not saying this to be an butt but people PLEASE BE CAREFULL out there!!!!! I was almost getting ready to untie as I could see it become dangerous fast as when that anchor hook that boat turned REALLY fast as he was only about about 100ft from me..... but hats another story isnt it...

wolf

BTW anyone remember the thread where the forum members would put a pic up of boats that came to close to you anchoring???????? be good to restart that again from what I read on another thread......

I will look for it, think it was called the Anchoring hall of shame thread. I think this thread has many pics! See the bottom of page 8, and 14,16,17 some classics there! Lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would anchoring for Hali be much different then anchoring for Sturgeon on the Fraser River. I realize that were talking about 200 feet of water and not 50 feet but there is a pretty strong current on the fraser when the tide is going out its really flowing. I want to try Anchoring on the Burke Channel this summer but it has big tide changes and it sounds like anchor for Hali can be pretty scare. I anchor for Sturgeon and have never had a problem but I have all the right gear and also keep my eyes peel for logs and things.

There are two very big differences. First is the bottom. Sometimes it is hard to catch the bottom. Secondly what works in one direction may not work in the other direction, especially if your chain is not long enough. Then there is wind and direction.

Back