Anchovy Teaser Head Rig Losing fish

Captain PartyMarty

Crew Member
Hey Guy's

I was out yesterday fishing between T10 and Sandheads. In total I hooked up with 6 large fish which I assume where springs. Unfortunately I lost every single one of them at pretty much the same part of the fight. I found that as soon as the flasher breaks the surface for the first time the fish is gone. happened every single time, so now I am wondering what am doing wrong.

My setup currently consists of one owner ST56 3x strong treble size 2 and an owner cutting point stinger hook of similar size, I say the hooks about ¾ of an inch long and have a shank to point distance of about 3/8 to ½ an inch.

These are things that I am considering

1) Either my Trebles or Stringer hooks are too small (Caught plenty of fish in WH with the same setup but are Fraser bound fish less aggressive biters?)
2) With owner hooks they have a very small barb which I pinch but there’s not much of a nub left over should I select a hook which has a larger nub ( More holding power)
3) I position my Stinger hook so that the bottom of the hook is inline with the end of the bait tail, should the stinger be further back?
4) I tend to take the boat out of gear once I hook up as I am normally alone or fishing with inexperienced people, should I just slow down or keep trolling?
5) Should I just chalk it up to bad luck?

Your though would be appreciated

its not your teaser head or hooks its that as soon as the flasher breaks the surface the line will go slack because the flasher isn't dragging through the water anymore. What you need to do is anticipate when the flasher is going to break the surface and reel fast to put tension back on the fish.

Hey Guy's

1) Either my Trebles or Stringer hooks are too small (Caught plenty of fish in WH with the same setup but are Fraser bound fish less aggressive biters?)
2) With owner hooks they have a very small barb which I pinch but there’s not much of a nub left over should I select a hook which has a larger nub ( More holding power)
3) I position my Stinger hook so that the bottom of the hook is inline with the end of the bait tail, should the stinger be further back?
4) I tend to take the boat out of gear once I hook up as I am normally alone or fishing with inexperienced people, should I just slow down or keep trolling?

The hooks aren't too small, I use 1/0 treble hooks on my teasers. I don't use a stinger either. Leave the boat in gear, it helps to keep tension on the line if the fish swims towards the boat. Also, as mentioned keep tension when the flasher breaks the surface. I've lost a bunch of fish at that point too but getting better with practice.

Keep the boat in gear and if the fish swims at the boat speed up as quickly as possible till the fish starts taking line and then slow down. I never take the boat out of gear as I fish anywhere from 2-5 lines sometimes. Just clear the side the fish hits on and try and keep the fish on that side. If it's a big fish you will have time to start clearing more gear, the bigger the fish the more time you will have. I only stop the boat when all the gear is cleared and the flasher has broken the surface of the water. Other times I just keep trolling and just leave all the other gear down. And sometimes you just lose fish, it happens.

its not your teaser head or hooks its that as soon as the flasher breaks the surface the line will go slack because the flasher isn't dragging through the water anymore. What you need to do is anticipate when the flasher is going to break the surface and reel fast to put tension back on the fish.

Yes, more fish lost at that point than any other.
you don't want the flasher to pop out of the water giving momentary slack.
I actually slow down on the reel, so that the flasher breaks the surface gently
once its out, you can pick up the pace again.

I hate hook sizing it never makes sence to me. According to the Owner site your using a a hook which 2 sizes larger than what I am using. I guess I need to work on that skill with the flasher and I have to learn to keep it in gear play the fish and watch where the hell I'm going.

i dont slow down at all when i hook into a fish unless its a big spring (high 20's and up). anticipate when the flasher is going to surface and reel like mad.. alot of fish are lost at this point in the fight

Hey Guy's

I was out yesterday fishing between T10 and Sandheads. In total I hooked up with 6 large fish which I assume where springs. Unfortunately I lost every single one of them at pretty much the same part of the fight. I found that as soon as the flasher breaks the surface for the first time the fish is gone. happened every single time, so now I am wondering what am doing wrong.

My setup currently consists of one owner ST56 3x strong treble size 2 and an owner cutting point stinger hook of similar size, I say the hooks about ¾ of an inch long and have a shank to point distance of about 3/8 to ½ an inch.

I use huge a huge single trailer hook and a pretty massive treble as well with a UV purple teaser head - but you already know this buddy! Hard to tell sometimes out there if it's a spring or pink hitting, the pinks were hitting aggressively for us on Saturday but their soft gums weren't holding the hooks too well.. Only way to tell was when the shimano started singing!

Oh the Shimanos where singing! I am sure they where all big fish, I even had one fling himself 4 ft out of water and do some crazy twist thing. People in the boat beside thought it was awesome. Ok I will stick to my rig as it is and focus more on the fight. Heading out Wednesday evening to try again!

Hey Guy's

Two other suggestions:

!. Try using a dummy flasher or Daisy Chain off the rigger and clip your anchovy on a little ways above it. Couple good reasons to do this:

- No flasher on the line eliminates the problem of fish coming off at the surface, and as we all know it's a much better fight without a mainline flasher anyways.
- Having a flasher on the cannonball should still attract the fish. However, please don't use this suggestion if you're fishing near bottom or bottom bouncing! Sure way to lose gear.

If you're going to try this, I'd fish one side this way and one side as you would normally. If the side with the mainline flasher hooks the most fish, it's worth the possible loss - go back to running both sides this way.

2. Unless the water is real **** you should see the flasher approaching the surface. Anticipate the time it will break if you can and quickly heave your rod to the sky when the flasher breaks the surface - you should be able to do this quicker than you can reel. Of course, your tip should be up anyways!

Best of luck!

I hate hook sizing it never makes sence to me. According to the Owner site your using a a hook which 2 sizes larger than what I am using. I guess I need to work on that skill with the flasher and I have to learn to keep it in gear play the fish and watch where the hell I'm going.

Hook sizing is like wire gauge, the hooks get larger as the number gets smaller. So size 3 is smaller than 2, 2 is smaller than 1 etc. After 1 it goes to 1/0 then 2/0 then 3/0 etc. I suspect you are using 2/0 because a #2 size hook is tiny.

So from left to right, small to large: 3,2,1,1/0,2/0,3/0 . That's how it works for hook size.

I am absolutely sure that I have #2 hooks as I bought the owner pro pack which only come in #4 and #2. The 1/0 pack also has less hooks for the same price as the #2 which also indicates that they are larger. I think I might swing by Nikka and check out the hook sizes in person.

I am absolutely sure that I have #2 hooks as I bought the owner pro pack which only come in #4 and #2. The 1/0 pack also has less hooks for the same price as the #2 which also indicates that they are larger. I think I might swing by Nikka and check out the hook sizes in person.

I would say #1 is about minimum for big springs. #1, 1/0 or 2/0 seem to work best for me. Small chovies I use #1, larger chovies and herring I use 1/0 or 2/0.

I only use a # 2 treble-no stinger-I seldom have no-hook-ups with springs'-in fact it's often hard to get the treble out because it's under the tongue-coho are another matter on this rig-they bite or attack the bait differently and you quite often miss. The rest of the advice about boat in gear, anticipating the flasher and speeding up on a charging fish is all sage advice. Sh#T Happens-just minimize it!!

I use size #2 owners as well with no stinger. But I do like to get a hook set in, if I don't then my landing ratios are lower.

Back