Anchoring - Windlass vs ring system

I am rebuilding a 22' Double Eagle. It has an electric windlass on the bow. I will be taking it off during the build, and am wondering if it is worthwhile putting it back on afterwards. A ring system seems like it might be a simpler solution. What do you think?

anchor for halibut in deep water go ring. But if you want to anchor for lunch or places like sidney spit, tod inlet for the fireworks etc. -- you want to keep the windlass.

If you don't want the windless, I'll come take off it your hands.

yup, safety is where the ring system is at..

anchor for halibut in deep water go ring. But if you want to anchor for lunch or places like sidney spit, tod inlet for the fireworks etc. -- you want to keep the windlass.

If you don't want the windless, I'll come take off it your hands.

X2

I have a windlass and it piled up, took it apart and full of nylon gears. No wonder it piled up. I now use a ring. But if you use it as RB mentions you will have the best of both worlds because a windlass is a handy tool to have!!

With a ring all Halibut anchoring and retrieving is done from the back of the boat. Not good to be on the bow in rough seas

I always have 2 anchors (bow and stern) - agree with the above comments wrt safety and accessibility. On a 22' boat - you don't need a real heavy stern anchor, neither. Keep the bow anchor and windlass. You'll never know when you will need to use it.....

I'm with agentaqua, I have 2 complete anchors on my 18.6 DE, full hali set up for hali fishing and shorter smaller set up in bow locker for protected "shallow" bay, safe overnights. If you even think of going to anchor for hali, deep, shallow or in any possibility of current, play it safe and get the motor pulling system of your choice, I have never had a ring system, use the system Bennie the hali king showed me 30 + years ago. Safety first. My thoughts.

HM

Back