Anchor advise for 12' boat on the lower fraser

Meowman

Hi I have a 12' haborcraft with a 8hp honda and I'm trying to figure what size anchor and style I would need for fishing the lower fraser in the langley area

I’d be really carefully about anchoring on the Fraser. All kinds of debris (whole trees) come down. I was anchored in my 14 deep transom aluminum boat, near Mission. All of a sudden the bow started to sink and the stern rode up. It was a water logged log laying over my anchor rode. With the current it was trying to up end and sink me.
I’d be tying to a log boom in a back channel in a 12’ shallow transom boat. Or drift
If you do anchor. Have a quick release setup or a knife meant to cut rope (sharp serated edge) out and ready.
Also, from mission to the mouth there is long history of industry and the debris to go with it, namely wire rope used on log booms. So don’t spend too much on and anchor, cause you might not get it back

It's really sketchy anchoring in a small boat in the Fraser. It takes a lot of weight to hold in the current. If something happens, it will happen quickly and you may not have time to react. I would not recommend it. I have anchored above Chilliwack and below as well as in the Harrison in boats from 15' to 20'. I would not do it in anything smaller than a 14 footer.

It's really sketchy anchoring in a small boat in the Fraser. It takes a lot of weight to hold in the current. If something happens, it will happen quickly and you may not have time to react. I would not recommend it. I have anchored above Chilliwack and below as well as in the Harrison in boats from 15' to 20'. I would not do it in anything smaller than a 14 footer.
Sound advice

Hi I have a 12' haborcraft with a 8hp honda and I'm trying to figure what size anchor and style I would need for fishing the lower fraser in the langley area
I have a 14 Jon. Anchor all the time in upper Fraser Chilliwack to Hope. No issues. All boating activities require paying attention. The odd piece of debris is just one hazard. I use a 60 lb Fraser River anchor with 12 feet of chain and it holds in the heavy current. Lower Fraser has far less current so you can get away with less chain. We use the same system with the heavier 18’ jet boat when sturgeon fishing.

I have fished the area lots, you don't need a heavy fraser river anchor. I have used a 12lb Danforth style anchor with 8' feet of chain. If you can find one that has the rail with a sliding ring it makes it easier to retrieve. Like everbody said watch for floating debris, keep a good knife available in case you need to cut the line.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220601-223241_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220601-223241_Chrome.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Lower Fraser is pretty simple, but moves a lot faster than most think!

Having spent a lot of time lower and mid river, biggest thing I found was watching how the river flows.... in higher water (freshet etc) you will see where the branches, logs etc are moving in the main stream, tuck in on the inside of this stuff and you will be a lot safer.

In my younger years we fished in smaller boats and it was dicey at times. Think smart and you will be good, especially the lower Fraser....

What area are you thinking to fish?

You don't need a heavy river anchor, instead, this Danielson Galv river anchor might work for you, it's small but obviously 3 pounds so it's heavy duty. When it was out in the lake, it started with the 4 of us, probably around 600-700 pounds in total, the anchor kept us locked in the firm. I suspect we slipped a bit closer to shore but it was hardly noticeable. It is sturdy and apparently stronger than suspected!

Back