Anbody fished Sooke?

Was at Beechy Head this morning (Friday) and while fishing was great (conditions-wise and less than 100 boats) the catching was less than spectacular.

We managed a 14lb spring on a small Rhys chovy at only 35ft. We did stay within 300m of the rocks though. Seemed to be a more concentrated bite around 11am.

Far too many small coho 9-12" were around, it seemed that each time we checked our gear there was a little fish wriggling on a hook. Rarely felt them on the gear. Fortunately all were released "unharmed" at least not immediately dead anyway.

How do you keep these guys off your gear? Deeper? Bigger bait?
(I've still got some 9" herring I could use)

Cheers,
Alex

... "high water" is when you can fish from your car.

I got there around 11 and saw lots of good size fish caught...shakers were a problem though especially with the 5 inch anchovy...so I swiched it up a bit, went with a chrome/blue spoon & red monkey puke flasher on the centre rod, bagged two nice hatch cohos 9 & 10 lb around 3:30-4. Ran the anchovys at 60-70 ft on the outside rods, couple of nice springs 12 & 15 lb. We had a few big ones on earlier around noon at the shack...Going out Sunday again

Remember, "When the Fish aren't Biting...the Fish aren't Biting!!"

I got there around 11 and saw lots of good size fish caught...shakers were a problem though especially with the 5 inch anchovy...so I swiched it up a bit, went with a chrome/blue spoon & red monkey puke flasher on the centre rod, bagged two nice hatch cohos 9 & 10 lb around 3:30-4. Ran the anchovys at 60-70 ft on the outside rods, couple of nice springs 12 & 15 lb. We had a few big ones on earlier around noon at the shack...Going out Sunday again

...Almost forgot, had a look at the recent meals of the 15 lb spring...there were three large herring about 7-8 inch and a whole bunch of 4-5 inch anchovy...I've never seen so much feed in one fish before...must be the time of the year, trying to fatten up for the run. The teeth had grown a bit bigger already...

...Almost forgot, had a look at the recent meals of the 15 lb spring...there were three large herring about 7-8 inch and a whole bunch of 4-5 inch anchovy...I've never seen so much feed in one fish before...must be the time of the year, trying to fatten up for the run. The teeth had grown a bit bigger already...

Five more yesterday at Becher, it was an anchovy day as spoons were cold.... Still chartreuse teaser w/chartreuse/gold flasher on 7 -8 ft leader at 60 -70ft. Gold Betsy & glow green worked as well.

Five more yesterday at Becher, it was an anchovy day as spoons were cold.... Still chartreuse teaser w/chartreuse/gold flasher on 7 -8 ft leader at 60 -70ft. Gold Betsy & glow green worked as well.

Out today at Otter. No springs for me, 10 coho of which 3 were hatchery.
Tom

Out today at Otter. No springs for me, 10 coho of which 3 were hatchery.
Tom

Well went out today very good up at otter 6 springs and some hatchery coho found most of the fish right on the point didnt hit anything at 2nd rock at all but now that it is raining dont know what will happen some of them were getting dark but i think there were a few new fish because the were sure chrome chat to you soon
Good luck Wolf

Talking to Bob Gallagher from Gallagher's fish camp in Renfrew last night. He said they are still getting great spring fishing from Camper to Logan, not many coho yet. Those springs must be sliding down through Sooke as well, so that would account for Wolf's chromer's. I'm going out on Sunday, keep you posted.
Tom

Bring on the rain's,then bring on the chrome,get ready wolf it's almost tine!

Just Bring it!

Back