Aluminum or Fiberglass?

R

rainbow one

I know there is much experience on this forum so I would like to pose this question. Given a choice of any make and model of boat, which would you choose fiberglass or aluminum? At first I was for the aluminum all the way but having talked to a couple of guides at a trade show this weekend I now am having second thoughts from what they tell me. What are the pros and cons of each? Thanks in advance for all the opinions.
RO

an aluminum hull can be bumpier than a fiberglass hull but aluminum boats are alot tougher. Im sure some of these experienced owners here will give the whole dl.

Fiberglass = Smoother ride. Aluminium = Put up with all the sh*t you can throw at it. Id have an aluminium one in a second if they didn't cost more then my first place! Aluminium will last forever if you do not have any elictrical problems. THrow away the fenders, let the 2 pound balls bang on the sides and fish.

Guess it depends where you are fishing and what you do with your boat..through out the prawn traps and beach the boat...get your limit of oysters have a beach fire.. can't do that with a fiberglass boat..
Hit a dead head with a fiberglass boat..major repairs..I have hit a deadhead with my aluminum..just a small dint and keep on fishing for the season..(my friend hit a deadhead in pt alberni and wrote off a 22' boat)
Lighter boat..better fuel economy..better resale value
Harder riding..more expensive...less choice for purchasing...
Like they say........every boat is a compromise.....choose yours wisely.

Having had both and getting on in years I would take the fiberglass for smoother ride , by far the warmer of the two choices and will not sweat as much as aluminum , the wave slap is quieter also.
Aluminum trailers bouncy because of the weight factor and I found required a belly strap to stop it from shifting on very rough logging roads(read 3 mile hill on the way to Bamfield) in the old days you had to worry about rivet working loose but not anymore with the welded hulls.
Overall I think Fiberglass is a very good hull and would recommend that hull.

Cheers

AL

For a BC coast fishing/working boat A L U M I N U M - they are not cheap and not pretty but there is a tonne of crap in the water on the BC coast and even really paying attention you are going to hit something eventually. I've hit a few dead heads over the years and a lot of little stuff and other than a very loud noise had no major damage.

Other major point is almost all our shoreline is rock. We can run our boats right up on the beaches to clam, oyster, let the wife visit a tree etc. and not have to worry about hull damage.

Maintenance is very easy, there almost isn't any. Adding stuff is easy drill holes or weld on a new bracket and no worries about backing plates etc.

If hull noise is an issue (it's not for us, I don't find it loud at all) you can spray foam in the hull to act as a deadener. The down side of this is if you need to do any hull/floor welding repairs you need to be VERY careful not to ignite the foam.

The bumpier thing is a bunch of crap. A hull design is the same out of fiber as it is out of glass so the material it's buld of is NOT going to make it bumpier. The issue is more that welded aluminum boats are usually smaller due to their price and usually have less crap in them as they are usually not built as cruisers with all sort of appliances/water tanks etc. so being lighter and smaller are bouncier. Take some differnt boats out for a ride you'll find one you like the ride of.

The colder thing is also a bunch of crap. The issue is again that the welded aluminum boat styles tend to be open cabin fishing type boats. Depending on what you want to use it for a welded aluminum with a cuddy or a fully canvased welded aluminum with a heater is going to be as cozy as any other enclosed boat with a heater.

If you want a cruiser with appliances, beds and loungeing type seats you are probably going to be better with a glass boat as there are a lot more designs and styles to choose from. If you are looking for a 18-22' fishing/day tripping boat I'll go aluminum every time living in BC. Different answer if we lived in Florida :)

Have fun boat shopping!!!

I have an eighteen and a half double eagle fiberglass boat and I run it up on the shore all the time as my dog has to visit a tree once in a while. You won't hurt the hull by going over a deadhead but the leg or prop is the thing that will get hurt if you hit it wrong. That is the same for aluminum. I have had both types and would never go back to aluminum, they sweat are loud and have to be a welder to fix that rock you hit. [^] The main thing is to have a boat and be out on the water, happy fishing.

Thought i'd add to the topic since i've owned both. My first boat was 16' fibreglass and I like to go way offshore (yes i have gps and all that) the boat was litterly falling apart under me, not to mention what my back was going threw:( , wifes also:(,I also use this boat the fraser river ,so i beach it often and had worn out the keel and had that repaired twice.So when it came to buying a new boat for this year, the thought of comfort, durability,resale,space onboard,my choice was a 21'ALLUMINUM with a soft top,yes it was more expensive than a fiberglass but i have no regrets for paying more[^] because it's a great ride ,complete with all the bells and whistles. Looking forward to taking it out on the westcoast of V.I. Happy fishing everyone.

Looks as if its personal preferance. If i were you i would try going out in both types of boats and see what you like. Im curious has anyone here put an aluminum strip on the keel of a fiberglass boat?

Owned a 16' Campion fibreglass, now run a 18' Crestliner aluminum hull.
No significant differences noted in performance on the water.
However, I feel much safer on the water with a thick gauge alum hull under my butt.
What dents alu, puts a hole in glass.
PinchMe

Thanks for all the input! So the way I see it there is some debate as to ride comfort in rough seas, noisey ride or not, cold to ride in or not. I will be getting a cabin/hardtop style boat 24'-26'.I want to use this boat for mainly fishing but also to take the family in. I definately do not want a bad ride in the rough stuff. As far as the noisey ride goes I just had someone tell me that they had took a ride in a Harbercraft Kingfisher and he said it was the most quiet ride he has ever had so I find this somewhat confusing. With the different types of heating systems in them I can't imagine that it would be too cold. I fish lots in the winter on interior lakes.It does look like from what I have seen that the aluminum does hold resale value much better. The two guides that I talked to both purchased Skagit Orca fiberglass boats.

I think you could find a very nice hardtop fiberglass or aluminum boat in the 24 ft range as long as the finances weren't an issue. If I could afford it I would buy aluminum because of less upkeep and I like knowing I can beach my boat without causing damage.

quote:Originally posted by kelly

Looks as if its personal preferance. If i were you i would try going out in both types of boats and see what you like. Im curious has anyone here put an aluminum strip on the keel of a fiberglass boat?

Have seen rubber keel protectors for fiberglass - they work quite nicely for those who want to beach.

As to Glass vs Alum...dollar for dollar I have found fiberglass to be a better buy - particularly in the used market. There is a caveat with Fiberglass; that is that there are a lot of crap fiberglass boats out there vs alum. You really need to go with quality builder when purchasing a glass boat. Majority of alum boats (welded) are more forgiving of poor quality suppliers and manufacturers.

In the 24ft and larger class it is really hard to beat a quality fiberglass boat for price, ride, fuel capacity, and comfort vs comparable alum hull. If you plan to own only one boat the rest of your days, never upgrading or updating, then Alum may be the ticket. I have owed two Motion Marine alum boats and was ready to upgrade to their 24ft'r Hardtop. After spec'ing the Alum 24ft with ammenities and electronics the build still had limited fuel capacity (80gals w/standard alum design) and was US 20K more than a 25ft used Grady-White.

The Grady has 160 gallons fuel and v-berth w/porta-pottie, hardtop, and much better fishability than most 24ft alums. If upgrade to an offshore alum hull so that you can get same fuel cap, ammenities, and size (24ft-26ft Off-shore type) then you are 40-70K higher in price vs the glass boat of similar age and specs.

Glass boat is definately warmer, quiter, and rides better than comparably price welded alum boat.

Have yet to see a simular size fiberglass meet the performance of my Kingfisher.This not only translates into better speed ,but dont forget the added fuel savings,also less cost to power a 25 footer.Will admit fiber has alot smoother ride.

How are you liking the Wolf boat so far? His boats look great. I thought they may be a little more $$$ than others.
RO
quote:Originally posted by highflyn

Originally posted by rollyg

highflyn, what kinda boat do you have?
[/
quote]
it's wolf aluminum boat made in courtenay on V.I.

quote:Originally posted by rainbow one

How are you liking the Wolf boat so far? His boats look great. I thought they may be a little more $$$ than others.
even though my wife and i have only had it out once for about 6 hours in the pouring rain, running out the fraser river to the ferry terminal a couple of times(crabing).The whole ride was rather enjoyable and can't wait to get out again. The ride was a learning curve and to get know the boat and what it can do.The pictures on his websight don't do the boat justice because when standing on the deck they are so much more spacious.As far as price they might be a little more but i compaired it against a silverstreak,the price of a base boat was pretty close.The only real differance is the way they are built(the type of aluminum)and the options that you want.I had my boat supplied without electronics or outboard power.(I bought and installed and saved,guess at about $6000 plus):D

Back