Aluminum mooching reels...if not Islander?

it would be a fun reel if they made this with a 4.5-4.75 inch round.
I was looking up in line ice fishing reels for my dad in Ontario. once I seen these, I though its like a level wind had a one night stand with a mooching reel.

ECILIRAS.jpg
jhjl.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
that's different reel..

I went out and tried putting the depth on my down riggers at 200 + feet moving fast and with a big 15lb ball with the trophys. That's way deeper than a ever fish and more weight, but you can tell it strains the line, and if you were fishing at depth... I can see a little what people mean creeps annoying when they are fishing at heavy depths....using a +15lb ball.. Where as the typically summer guys say fishing 30-60 feet with a 10-12lb ball would get nothing creep wise ... I do get a slight creep with the reel that I tested but it doesn't annoy me that much... But wanted to try to see if my reels would do same thing as posted....

Now I did notice that the improved Amundsen looked like good choice on the creep issue...Got to play around with one looks good. Totally different (graphite?) and its not cork, so that is one of the better ones I looked at and didn't go copycat route with same old cork islander design... Nice to see some thought there...

I have fished with trophy reels for the last 4 years and 15 pound cannonballs and the only time I experienced line creep was when loaded up with weed. I fished a couple of times on charters with islanders and do not think that they warrant twice the price. What this whole thing boils down to is personal preference. Just the same as the debate about rods.

I have fished with trophy reels for the last 4 years and 15 pound cannonballs and the only time I experienced line creep was when loaded up with weed. I fished a couple of times on charters with islanders and do not think that they warrant twice the price. What this whole thing boils down to is personal preference. Just the same as the debate about rods.

So do fish deep water or shallow? I am in agreement creep is minimal in the 120 and up range if your in inshore... My trophy doesn't really creep at those depths...It really seems from what I hear its when your fishing offshore with swells and deep depths where it is a **** off. Some guys also fish 20's...

90% of my fishing is done below 200ft...... Creeping reels can stay at home. I ask people to leave their fancy pants stuff at home when fishing on my boat. Bring tackle if you feel you need to :)

90% of my fishing is done below 200ft...... Creeping reels can stay at home. I ask people to leave their fancy pants stuff at home when fishing on my boat. Bring tackle if you feel you need to :)

It just bugs me to no end that a $500 reel creeps at all. My stupid Shimano 4000s and 2000s don't creep. Now for sure there not as buttery smooth as any of the higher end reels, but they stay put when I set them in the holders.

I generally live by the philosophy of "buy your last tool first" and I don't mind paying for good gear. But when I am paying premium prices, I do it with the expectation that I shouldn't have to sacrifice or compromise on critical functions, form, or aesthetics. A reel should do a few pretty basic things:

1) store the line
2) dispense the line - preferably using a freespool function but that is a personal preference
3) retrieve the line
4) modulate and control the amount of drag during the fight, and at rest in the holders

If the reel looks and feels great while doing all of the above, then that is a huge bonus.

To spend $500 or more on a reel and then have to live with compromises on basic functions, doesn't seem like something I could swallow.

Franko

MILF (Man, I Love Fishing)

i just got my hands on one of the new amundson tmx5 s.The graphite drag looks impressive will be spooling up tomorrow and hopefully out for some winters soon so i can give some feed back

i just got my hands on one of the new amundson tmx5 s.The graphite drag looks impressive will be spooling up tomorrow and hopefully out for some winters soon so i can give some feed back

Looks like this reel will not continue to be produced. Wonder what the upgraded TMX4 will look like?

2014 AMUNDSON TREND TMX5 Mothballed in favor of upgrading the original TMX4 Series
The new 2014 TREND TMX5 by AMUNDSON Outdoor Products of Delta British Columbia was cancelled after noting that the series was too close to the TMX4 series. The decision was made in favor of upgrading the existing TMX4 series and concentrating on the 2016 range of mooching reels named TREND THERON.

<tbody>
</tbody>

http://www.nationalprostaff.com/v2297-the-new-2014-trend-tmx5-by-amundson-outdoor

Looks like this reel will not continue to be produced. Wonder what the upgraded TMX4 will look like?

2014 AMUNDSON TREND TMX5 Mothballed in favor of upgrading the original TMX4 Series
The new 2014 TREND TMX5 by AMUNDSON Outdoor Products of Delta British Columbia was cancelled after noting that the series was too close to the TMX4 series. The decision was made in favor of upgrading the existing TMX4 series and concentrating on the 2016 range of mooching reels named TREND THERON.

<tbody>
</tbody>

http://www.nationalprostaff.com/v2297-the-new-2014-trend-tmx5-by-amundson-outdoor

Very interesting..... If I got a TMX5 for Chritmas Id only hope it came with a gift receipt. To see such a new reel mothballed. WOW

Sure hope parts are available in the future if you were to keep or buy one of these.

Just to let everyone know the TMX5 production has not hit the market yet. The only reels floating out there test reels only....

I had a Trophy QR 4.5 and really liked it, but the handles were just a little too small for my large hands. No problem with line creep and the drag was smooth as silk. I am going to buy the new Trophy's with the larger handles. Has anyone tried the new reals with the larger handles? any info on the best deal on the new Trophy's?

We on fridays would visit JS foster on kelvin or dupplin and have beers making of the islander 1st one out i was there.prefer a hardy or a old islander or a old diawa ,simple construction.

I still haven't figured out all of the complaints about the Trophy reels. They are half the price of you know who, are way less noisy and if you oil the drag washers correctly, have no line creep. The only dilemma I see is whether to get the Gold, Silver or Blue. (I like the blue ones). In the Mid-Island area, most of the stores are cutting each others throats for the business and it's a good time to buy.

How about the Amundson MSR05 that is on the banner here on SFBC?

It has free spool, handles look small though, it still has the ported back that most don't seem to want. Only $199

Anyone buy one?

It seems odd that so few people go with the Amundsen reels. At the moment they are marketing a lot of combos that aren't as flattering as they could be. Perhaps they reflect badly on the quality reels they produce?

It seems odd that so few people go with the Amundsen reels. At the moment they are marketing a lot of combos that aren't as flattering as they could be. Perhaps they reflect badly on the quality reels they produce?

Same can be said about all reels out there..just depends on what your expectations are...:)

I had a Trophy QR 4.5 and really liked it, but the handles were just a little too small for my large hands. No problem with line creep and the drag was smooth as silk. I am going to buy the new Trophy's with the larger handles. Has anyone tried the new reals with the larger handles? any info on the best deal on the new Trophy's?

I just got a new Trophy for Christmas, looks great and sounds even better. Going to put some new line on it and try it out soon hopefully. Will let you know, I too have big hands.

Well, because of you guys I had to go out this weekend and get four brand new Shimano 4000GTs. I couldn't be the only one on this forum without new reels.

I hope you're all happy! :)

Back