Aluminum mooching reels...if not Islander?

Franko Manini

Guys, I'm starting to get a hankering for a pair of nice reels for my downrigger rods. I was just in the shop looking at my 4000GTs sitting there on my rods... And while functional, they just aren't cutting it. I think any machined aluminum reel is going to be a big step up, but what should I consider? Yeah, I would love to pop for a pair of Islander MR3s with that sweet blue anodized finish, but I cannot justify spending more than G-note right now.

I have seen reels from Rapala, Amundsen, and Trophy that looks good, but wh knows... Ain't much you can tell by the lookin!

I like the fact that on the 4000GT I can disengage the drag to drop my gear on the rigger, and I have never had any issues with creep. Of course the downside to the switchable drag thing is that I have had newbies on the. Pat try to do the same thing and end up with nasty birds nest.

There must have been lots of folks who wanted higher quality reels without taking the plunge into Islander territory. What did you end up with and why?

Franko

MILF (Man, I Love Fishing)

Well I can say I'm happy with the Amundsen TMX4 (I call it my chi-lander). I found it a lot nicer/smoother reel then my 4000GTs, no reel creep at deeper rig setting. I ran it a good amount this year with one 7 day trip up in Nootka sound with no problems at all. Nootka was the reason I picked up this reel as I wanted to have a spare mooching reel for the trip. I had booth trophy and TMX4 on the table, and like booth reels. my deciding factor was the trophy seemed a bit narrower in the spool. not sure if that's even a factor to look at...

No complaints with the trophy tyee qr reels. No line creep.

Check out the Abels. I'm looking at them to replace my Islanders....

http://selector.abelreels.com/mooching/

I had two of the Okuma mooching reels and could not get used to the drag adjustment system. They looked great and arewell made, but, I just couldn't deal with that incremental adjustment system...

Last edited by a moderator:
Tried rapala. Not recommended. Tried amundson. Liked it. Got a second. Have tried islander on charter, liked itt too but I'm not that well off. Got my amundsons for $200 ea on usedvic. Not an easy deal to find, but I had patience.

Trophy Tyee QR large arbor. Really like the one I bought for last season. Think I will get another and keep the Shimano 4000's for spares..

Yeah, I would like to own some Islanders and support the local guys, but I cannot justify the expense. Besides, it doesn't sound like they offer twice the benefit for twice the price.

Franko

MILF (Man, I Love Fishing)

My older Islander MR2's don't creep.. Plus they are seconds which were a lot cheaper.. There's always used islanders out there for cheaper than new ?? Buddy picked up the Forged moocher and is very impressed. There's no perfect reel out there they all seem to have there pros and cons.

$10 for one of these. Holds line, let's out line and reels it back in, and made of aluminum. What could be simpler? Palm or pinky for preventing backlashes and adding drag once it's backed off after lifting from the rigger. I have 3 now. I spend lots on lures, snaps, clips etc... Just can't pull the trigger on a fancy reel.
I do like the Trophy QR more than the Islander on my buddy's boat based mostly on the sound.

Attachments

• th.jpg
    th.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 605
$10 for one of these. Holds line, let's out line and reels it back in, and made of aluminum. What could be simpler? Palm or pinky for preventing backlashes and adding drag once it's backed off after lifting from the rigger. I have 3 now. I spend lots on lures, snaps, clips etc... Just can't pull the trigger on a fancy reel.
I do like the Trophy QR more than the Islander on my buddy's boat based mostly on the sound.

These things aren't one way drag though. That makes them put out just as much resistance when reeling in as they do letting a fish run. Doesn't appeal to most. I had one a few years back and got rid of it for the reasons mentioned earlier. Might as well just get a peetz, which is much easier on the eyes imo.

There is no doubt the high end reels are engineering marvels and a pleasure to fish with. I also the think the guides are compelled to run those types of reels as a sign of a first class operation. The rec guys follow along. A well-tuned Islander can be run without the client touching the drag knob. I like to touch my knob, so I run it loose enough that the one way/two way isn't much of a factor. I leave my rods on the boat and put my tackle bags in the truck when moored at places like Island West. My priorities are different; I have many thousands of dollars in gear, and about 25 reels of all types, but only a few cost more than $100. If someone bought me an Islander, I might ask their forgiveness and trade it on a better transducer.

There is no doubt the high end reels are engineering marvels and a pleasure to fish with. I also the think the guides are compelled to run those types of reels as a sign of a first class operation. The rec guys follow along. A well-tuned Islander can be run without the client touching the drag knob. I like to touch my knob, so I run it loose enough that the one way/two way isn't much of a factor. I leave my rods on the boat and put my tackle bags in the truck when moored at places like Island West. My priorities are different; I have many thousands of dollars in gear, and about 25 reels of all types, but only a few cost more than $100. If someone bought me an Islander, I might ask their forgiveness and trade it on a better transducer.

Do you even use the drag on this reel? Sounds like your palm may be the real resistance when playing a fish. And nothing wrong with that of course, but there are many out there that would like something that offers a little more than that.

I also would likely sell an islander if I acquired one, but I do enjoy a smooth operating machine while out there.

I now own about 16-18 original Shimano 4000GT's. Until someone actually makes a reel as good or with as many great qualities I will be sticking with them.

I can't believe that no maker wants to build a 5" aluminum reel with great handles, a free spool switch and a killer drag that doesn't creep. My guess is they don't want to because how would they sell future reels if they made a reel guys actually liked.......

Crank it down far enough to stop line creep, back it off as soon as I know the fish stuck. I know it's not ideal, but the fish usually end up beside the boat for the gaff or release. Anyone with a boat and safety gear can hook more than two Chinooks in a morning in Ucluelet most days regardless of the cost or appearance of his or her reel. That's where I fish.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reel.jpg
I got myself this Amundson for Christmas. I bought it based on the many favourable reviews on this site :)

Back