ALONE Season 2

I think Jose is done now that he has taken a swim. That water would be dam cold at that time of year and hard to get warm and dry. David is the only one that has figured out a constant food source. Larry is still there out of pure will power.

They were told by DFO to not eat any shellfish in the inlet due to red tide. They inlet has not been tested in years and the last time it was there were signs of red tide. It was up to the contestants to take the chance if they wanted to but as you have seen not many did. Only Jose who found some on that piece of debris and decide it was safe to eat.

If you remember last season Lucas ate a bunch of clams and muscles he found and was violently ill that evening and through the night. It could shave been from over eating or the could have been bad shellfish.

Looking forward to seeing the final tomorrow night and who comes out on top.

How often are they checked on and if at all for how long would it be for. I remember last year at the end they did a medical check up on Alan at the end.

Surprised Nichol tapped but like a couple good contestants before her realized time is worth more then money sometimes. So 1 more episode... Ill guess... Jose is done after his swim, and a mouse and hunger is going to drive Larry to spaz out and tap. Since David has figured out how to fish/crab and really wants to impress his kids he might actually win.

ps I really hope they come in with boat horns blaring. How anti climatic was it last time...

Wade said last year that they come I. Every 7-10 days to change batts and check gear, quick medical and gone in like 10 minutes.

Thanks Getbent

I would have lost my shirt if I had bet on David to be the winner. Looking back it was a pretty good season. I don't know why they waited till the next day after poor Larry tapped out. The way they told him he had won was anti-climatic. I think he thought he was hallucinating when he saw his daughter. Bring the poor guy a big platter of ribs and chicken and a case of Lucky.

I liked the way they did the ending....how emotional it was for him, just beat to ratshit...
Not sure after eating so poorly and few of calories for that period of time what the system can handle in a the way of food?

It was a very good season, sure sounded like David could have kept on going. Pretty cool when he was home and told the other kids that he had won...good for him.

I would have lost my shirt if I had bet on David to be the winner. Looking back it was a pretty good season. I don't know why they waited till the next day after poor Larry tapped out. The way they told him he had won was anti-climatic. I think he thought he was hallucinating when he saw his daughter. Bring the poor guy a big platter of ribs and chicken and a case of Lucky.

He'd barf his guts out-but good TV I suppose.

Great series! I'm glad he won, he was there for all the right reasons. Shows what a father will do for his kids! Stand up guy, level headed, deserved the win in my books!

David won because he figured out a reliable food source, Larry didn't. There was no way Larry could win. He did fight the odds though, his game changed once he moved his camp. If he had figured out a food source like David did, I think they would both still be there. Was this season the same time of year as season 1? Seemed like it was a little earlier in the year. Jose, I couldn't believe he just stood in the water till Wade came to pick him up. Had to be at least 20-45 minutes before they came for him. Found this on the net.

FAQ #1

Where did you get that green wool hoodie?

That is a Boreal Shirt from Lester River Bushcraft. It is made from 100% pre-shrunk US Army blanket wool. Yes, it is a little scratchy, but since you never wear it against bare skin it is a non-issue. My Boreal Shirt performed flawlessly. In cold/wet weather, nothing beats wool as it retains insulation value even when damp. Wool is also antimicrobial. They are not inexpensive but worth every penny. I wore mine 24/7 from the 2-week point, even while sleeping. In my opinion there is no better insulation garment for long-term wilderness living in a cold and wet place like Vancouver Island. Paired with a waterproof top layer, you have a bombproof system.

What was your first meal after you won?

There is no KFC on Vancouver Island. They checked. Down at the beach they pulled the boat in and gave me a roast beef sandwich and bag of BBQ chips. The helicopter dropped me off at a cabin and they gave me two grocery bags of food: Trail mix, Jerky, ORGANIC PEANUT BUTTER, English muffins, apples. I couldn’t stop eating the peanut butter. It was like crack. The raisins tasted incredibly sweet, as I hadn’t had sugar in over two months. My first cup of coffee was a spiritual experience. Later that night the Production Crew cooked me a proper meal at the house they used as home base near Port Hardy, chicken, beef patties, veggies, chips, dip, salad. It felt like I had died and gone to heaven.

How much weight did you lose on the island?

Hard to say exactly. I was about 195 lbs when I left for the bush and about 160 lbs when they picked me up, so around 35 lbs. I had stopped losing weight early in my second month as my diet of fish, crabs, Keyhole Limpets, and Bull Kelp increased. I was able to maintain my weight at that much reduced level.

Because I had been eating regular meals, once a day, for the previous few weeks I was not afflicted with “re-feeding syndrome” that affects people who have endured total starvation for an extended period.

Do you know those weren’t Dungeness crabs you were eating?

YES! I had never been to the PNW or seen a Dungeness crab. I had asked a Canadian crewmember what kind of crabs they had in the area and he said Dungeness. I remembered that when I started catching crabs. Unfortunately I used the name every time I referred to them and the show never corrected my error on screen. They were actually Northern Kelp Crabs, considered less desirable than the famous Dungeness. Ignorance is bliss and it was an emotional boost to think I was eating expensive meals. Regardless, Northern Kelp Crabs have meaty claws and the flavor is on par with other crabs I’ve eaten. I apologize to everyone who makes a living selling Dungeness crabs either as a fisherman or chef. I have yet to eat one but look forward to it.

Really enjoyed this season!
Wade (BearCove) thanks for the extra info, on some of the details.
I was surprised Jose wore all those clothes and used the kayak (which was impressive!!!); obliviously it was only waist deep were he was trying to set his net. Would he have not been better to just get a raging fire going right on the beach, hang all those clothes to heat up, stripped down, waded out, set the net and then run back to the fire? Yeah hindsight is easy, I wouldn't have made it more than a week.
Larry was definitely having 'Alone' issues, actually surprised he made it that long. He seemed to be struggling for almost half the time. Give him credit though, everyday he just pushed through.

David wasn't someone I'd of picked at the beginning to win either. He certainly had it figured out towards the last half, third of the time. Figuring out the crabbing and consistently catching fish was key to him not having to fight the head issues.

Larry had to wake up everyday, trying to figure out how he was going to feed himself.
David just got up and went through his routine, pretty confident he would be eating at the end of day.

I do have a few questions:
1. Not being critical, did the show and/or participants get special DFO permission to fish the way they did? Again, not being critical - it is a great series - and highlights the incredible place we live. But, I don't think as a rec. angler I can setup a gillnet? Also, Nicole set up her net in a creek leading to spawning grounds? Larry set up a line with multiple hooks and bait?

2. I was surprised they weren't looking for mushrooms? Are there Chantrelle and Pines in that area?

3. What else did they eat? Jose never recorded anything he was eating. Nicole seemed to have a good handle on the vegetation, surprised she didn't seem to factor in the seasons.

Anyway, great series and congratulations to you Wade; it must have been a fun experience!

Aww poor guy we have KFC all over the island.

Larry was eating chantrelles and a few others were eating mushrooms in the beginning too.

Jose stood in the water long enough for his head scarf and big wool hood to dry?..or head never when under...Have you ever stood in the ocean for 20 mins in winter and then showed him walking out on his own...if he could walk out why did he stand there...odd.

I wondered as well why they made him stay a extra night out there..

I still think they are bringing them clean dry clothes. 60 days in the bush with multiple fires a day and not a smudge or piece of moss hanging of them ever...or ever see them washing there clothes.

Also wonder if they edit it out but the contestants never talk about wondering how the other people are doing.

Cant believe after 60 day Larry finally thought to put a hook in the water I thought he must not have had any. Nicols gill net was a decent size Larry and David both had very small diameter. You think would've been better near the shore and not a river but maybe just to to small.

Neat show regardless.

I wondered as well why they made him stay a extra night out there..

The extra night would have been to call the daughter and have her fly from Michigan (or wherever they were from) so she could surprise him with the news that he won.
I was wondering the same thing until I put that together. Having everyones loved one sitting in Hardy (at the KFC, haha) waiting to surprise them if the other guy quit would not have worked out so well.

Hey Guys,

So here is what I can tell you about what happened over the last view days and the rescues.

007, they did have special permission to use gill nets and such in the show. They went through government in Victoria and gave their spiel as to what they were doing on got permission to fish and use the gear that they did.

They did all find lot of mushrooms and things in the area but if you did not educate yourself as to what vegetation was in the are like Nicole did you didn't know what to eat.

As for Jose eating, not sure why they didn't show that. Whether or not he didn't film himself eating or the editing crew decided it was to boring to show. I know that he was out there for 60 days so he was eating something.

And thanks 007, was and amazing experience to be a part of, ilk nothing I have ever done before.

I'll say it again, these people on the ground are the real deal, they are ALONE, there is nobody around, I drop them in the middle of nowhere to fend for themselves, it's friggin amazing. I could never do it. It's real!

FS

Who stayed the extra night? Nobody was ever made or told to stay out there if they wanted to leave the game, was totally up to them. If they push the button on their device it was game over and we went to get them. We were never more than 30 mins from any contestant at anytime, that was in the safety protocol for the game for the fact there was a serious issue arise.

Hope everyone enjoyed this season, there may have been some editing errors or things that did not look right but I can ensure you being a part of this show and being in charge of the rescue and well being and safety of these these contestants, this show is as real as it gets. These people are out there on their own fending for themselves and I have the outmost respect for all they did.

Cheers

Have to agree Wade, these people are the real deal. Anyone that was there for more an week, with nothing really but their wits is the real deal. They are not just out there camping, they are surviving. Great show can't wait for the next season. Thanks for the inside info as well Wade.

Early in the thread it was stated next year's show will move to Patagonia. What a shame, I like it where it is where we're all kind familiar with the surroundings. It's fun to think about what I might do different to survive with some familiarity of what's available to eat.

Great show, it was the highlight of my viewing week of what is normally a bunch of crap on tv which I could care less about.

Enjoyed it. :D

Back