All Things COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think charters have a good chance still but lodges certainly do not. If they open hair dressing in future then I see no reason why charters could not open. In fact I’m still not 100% sure if you can’t operate one per the law. We are not under essential only work orders in bc. Most are not operating right now and I believe that is the right call but still along time till July 15 when retention opens.

Unrelated to above but still interesting
View attachment 52054

The issue with any tours whether it be by water or land it's the mixing of people and inability to social distance that's the issue for the industry. Imagine a guest infects a driver and the person runs multiple tours with different people everyday then those people go into the community not knowing they are infected and spread it and it continues to grow. There's no way round that. We run a large accommodation company on the coast that I'm not very confident will be able to run and they are all private homes, cottages etc where groups coming can be isolated in there accommodation. Where the issue that I think will come into effect is communities allowing people coming and going from the area for leisure travel creating vectors in. I sure hope we can but I'm not going to worry about it the cards fall as they do it's totally out of our control. Went through stages of pretending it wasn't happening, to anger, to acceptance. That's life when things get comfortable something happens to keep you on your toes and or humble a person it seems. Just brings one back to what's important, family and health, everything else in life is fluff.

What happens when a test proves some are immune to Covid 19? What happens to the rest of us?https://nationalpost.com/opinion/alison-thompson-on-covid-19-the-dark-side-of-antibody-testing

That would be fantastic and I hope that comes to fruit in a big way in time for the average Joe like ourselves, they will be hitting care facilities, staff and moving out from there could be a while before we get the opportunity to take it. Will keep my fingers crossed it's launched in a big way so large numbers can be tested in a short period of time.

Hunting and fishing are services? I don't think so.

As it sits people, are able to do both so if you need to supplement your diet with sport caught fish or whatever edible game can be taken this time of year you are free to do so. What more do you think is required?

Good luck feeding your family fresh caught fish on the south coast.
Chinook closed, Coho closed, Sockeye closed, ling closed, rockfish closed.
about the only species open now is Halibut and they don't appear overly abundant.

Hunting and fishing are services? I don't think so.

As it sits people, are able to do both so if you need to supplement your diet with sport caught fish or whatever edible game can be taken this time of year you are free to do so. What more do you think is required?
True, but there are a number of petitions to restrict non-essential travel. Fishing and humting should be on par with getting groceries, exercise and balancing mental healtth. We are far from through this and from what I understand the worst part will be this fall. If we do nothing we may find ourselves unable to travel to hunt and fish.

True, but there are a number of petitions to restrict non-essential travel. Fishing and humting should be on par with getting groceries, exercise and balancing mental healtth. We are far from through this and from what I understand the worst part will be this fall. If we do nothing we may find ourselves unable to travel to hunt and fish.
Yes, you may be unable to travel to hunt or fish because many small communities have said that they do not want you there. You may think you have a right to hunt or fish but other people have a right to stay healthy.

Yes, you may be unable to travel to hunt or fish because many small communities have said that they do not want you there. You may think you have a right to hunt or fish but other people have a right to stay healthy.

Why send 100s out to fish when you can send a few commercial fishermen to do the same.

Lots of commercial fishermen also already live in these small remote communities so no travel necessary.

Im sure lots proposing arguments to dfo to do just that.

Provinces that lockdown or charge people for traveling or being outside have infringed on their citizens rights. Also the reason the Federal government hasn't tried to do a country wide lockdown.
A state of emergency exists that allows for restrictions on travel or other measures deemed necessary. It is a situation in which a government is empowered to perform actions or impose policies that it would normally not be permitted to undertake. In B.C. the legislation is under the Emergency Programs Act as a response to the Covid 19 pandemic. A government can declare such a state during a natural disaster, civil unrest, armed conflict, medical pandemic or epidemic or other biosecurity risk.

A license is not a right, it is a granted privilege. Privileges can be taken away or impeded or changed. Rights can not be taken away or infringed upon. Separate the two instances and know the Law. One reason we are not in a lockdown is because of our rights. Provinces that lockdown or charge people for traveling or being outside have infringed upon their citizens rights. Also the reason the Federal government hasn't tried to do a country wide lockdown.
Then again, we may have no say in this. Skip to 21:00 for the 2010 document:
What in the world is actually going on? Document reveals plans, step by step.

A license is not a right, it is a granted privilege. Privileges can be taken away or impeded or changed. Rights can not be taken away or infringed upon. Separate the two instances and know the Law. One reason we are not in a lockdown is because of our rights. Provinces that lockdown or charge people for traveling or being outside have infringed upon their citizens rights. Also the reason the Federal government hasn't tried to do a country wide lockdown.
Agree that rights are privileges are very different.

However, rights can be infringed upon given certain critical legal criteria being fulfilled. Conservation can infringe FSC rights, hate speech can trigger infringement of "free speech", immediate harm can infringe personal rights under the mental health act, and public health needs can infringe rights of association (number and closeness).

In other words - due to the immediacy, seriousness & infectivity of the COVID crises we all find ourselves in - our rights of association can be restricted under the various provincial Health Acts, the federal Quarantine Act & the new COVID-19 Emergency Response Act (S.C. 2020, c. 5):

https://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/csj-sjc/covid.html
https://www.canadianlawyermag.com/p...ise-civil-liberties-issues-say-lawyers/328684

Ya terrible, news SV. Hard to say if it is directly related to COVID @ this point in time, tho. Guess details will roll out in time.

I believe in human rights, ST. Most people do. However, different people have different interpretations of what that entails.

Under the laws of what we currently call Canada - certain rights can be legally infringed (not "extinguished") given a strict checklist of how & why - justified largely under the rationale you suggested - "causing harm" verses "living life peacefully". Again, different people have different interpretations of what that entails. Under the various Provincial Health Acts and the few federal ones - that is detailed. Case law supports & defines what those interpretations are.

I also agree governance systems are often transitional - much like country borders - and change over time. Sometimes those governance systems fail and there is a rebellion. Other times it happens much quieter.

Yeah the recommendation on grocery shopping exercise etc is to do it within your local area.

However there doesn't seem to be much agreement on what local is. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back