All Things COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
A grizzly bear is trying to eat you, so you climb a tree to get away. He sits at the bottom of the tree because his hunger can wait until you come down. He has lots of fat and can go months without eating. You sit there in the tree for days, hoping he will go away but he never does. It rains a bit and you can get some water, but slowly you are starving to death. Finally, desperate and weak you decide to come down and sneak by the bear, but you are so weak and slow that you don't have a chance by now.

It's easy right now for us to hide in the tree, the government is making it rain, but we're not being fed and eventually we're going to starve...

You can't minimize the pandemic, you lose credibility when you do that. But we need to start taking a longer view to the consequences of the measures the government is taking too contain it and weigh that against the as yet unforeseen consequences of months/years on lockdown.

A thoughtful article on where we are heading. I would recommend everyone read it and heed it's advice for patience in these uncharted waters.

What will Canada’s Pandexit strategy look like? How officials are deciding when to lift coronavirus lockdowns

When the country begins to reopen, it will be a gradual, tentative and potentially frustrating process, experts say. Here’s a primer on who will make the decisions and what has to be considered

The discussion about how to begin reopening Canadian society is ramping up, even as the country has yet to pass the peak of the pandemic that has shut it down.

In provinces with relatively low COVID-19 rates, governments have started to publicly express optimism about lifting restrictions – Saskatchewan Premier Scott Moe has said he hopes to release a plan for doing so in the coming week. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and other federal officials, meanwhile, have emphasized Canadians will need to maintain current physical distancing measures for at least several more weeks, even as they’re increasingly being pressed to communicate a plan and timeline for the resumption of some normal activities.

But based on interviews this week with a wide range of sources – including senior political officials in Ottawa and provincial capitals, and infectious-disease and economic experts both here and abroad – Canadians should be braced for a potentially frustrating and anxiety-inducing second phase of the coronavirus response.

more
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/can...pid=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

A grizzly bear is trying to eat you, so you climb a tree to get away...

You can't minimize the pandemic, you lose credibility when you do that. But we need to start taking a longer view to the consequences of the measures the government is taking too contain it and weigh that against the as yet unforeseen consequences of months/years on lockdown.
We have had a fairly flexible opportunity to help flatten the curve of Covid 19 progression. There has been no rigorous lockdown as in other countries because most Canadians have been compliant with the rules promoted by health care experts. These measures are not open ended. We will continue to employ them until a vaccine is available. No one will starve. There is nothing unforeseen about the economic consequences, though. We are in a significant recession where some people lose their jobs and some do not do as well as they otherwise would have. It's the price we as society have agreed to pay to prevent our health care system being over run. It's important that we do not revert to what used to be normal behaviour, yet. We need to be patient and continue to follow the best advice of the medical professionals. Gradually we will beat Covid 19 but only if we all cooperate.

We have had a fairly flexible opportunity to help flatten the curve of Covid 19 progression. There has been no rigorous lockdown as in other countries because most Canadians have been compliant with the rules promoted by health care experts. These measures are not open ended. We will continue to employ them until a vaccine is available. No one will starve. There is nothing unforeseen about the economic consequences, though. We are in a significant recession where some people lose their jobs and some do not do as well as they otherwise would have. It's the price we as society have agreed to pay to prevent our health care system being over run. It's important that we do not revert to what used to be normal behaviour, yet. We need to be patient and continue to follow the best advice of the medical professionals. Gradually we will beat Covid 19 but only if we all cooperate.

True and people need to remember, the recession was due and likely is not purely just on Covid. Many economists have been expecting it for a while. All of the indicators will well apparent before this.

Starting to be some dominos lined up in critical supply chains that don’t have a simple undo button.

Municipal and city government are close to being bankrupt. They are cutting contracts left and right. Planned work for 2020 and beyond being halted or cancelled.

Is it worth it I think for now it is but I don’t believe it’s sustainable. I think will start seeing pressure grow in the months ahead.

Starting to be some dominos lined up in critical supply chains that don’t have a simple undo button.

Municipal and city government are close to being bankrupt. They are cutting contracts left and right. Planned work for 2020 and beyond being halted or cancelled.

Is it worth it I think for now it is but I don’t believe it’s sustainable. I think will start seeing pressure grow in the months ahead.

Agree 100%...even by Mid May people will really be hurting and businesses will officially be closing...there will be pressure. People can only sit at home and twiddle their thumbs for so long before they just can't take it anymore and start to no long abide by it, especially as weather gets nicer. IMO one of the most important things in next month to two is a concrete plan to get as close to normal as possible and open businesses up...that could be the biggest threat to the virus as if that doesn't occur people will no longer do what they are asked to.

US is taking a big turn right now as well, total cases have only been going up by 3-4% over the last few days as well as deaths. Their percentage on case increase is better than Canada actually, and their new death rate is half of us at the moment. (realize larger scale and much more overall but looking at the trends)

I just went to get a yard and a half of topsoil a little while ago. The place I normally go no longer loads personal trucks and to order you must give them your credit card number, wait two weeks and pay a sizeable delivery charge. I just got roadbase last week and paid $80 for delivery after a long wait.

Today I went to different place, you wait in your truck until it’s you turn to place your order and “tap your credit card”. The person receiving payment has the same safety precautions as does a grocery store clerk. You wait maybe 30 minutes (Saturday!) and pay no delivery charge.

My point is that while it isn’t always possible or practical, some people are adapting while others aren’t. Not criticizing people who exercise caution, but I sure hope they are going through a thought process before simply shutting down because it seems easier.

And do you guys ever read ****. The guy called me a **** FFS. No where in my previous posts did I attack him personally. No where in my posts did I say let people die. I simply stated it’s time to look at getting the ball rolling and open things up ( with proper precautions) I posted a couple videos showing the other side of this and things we have to look at. Yet he took it upon himself to call me a ****. But hey that’s all OK right cause I happen to have a different opinion than the crowd so let’s call him a ****.
Don’t agree with all you say but also think the post calling you a **** was over the top and should be removed.

Lots of stress coming out, it's tough times. This will pass at some point, good news is families will be able to to fish together for sure. Mixed groups it's a waiting game if that will happen this summer, based on today's press release I think it is safe to say it's going to be a no go season as far as charters are concerned. Best thing to do if that's your game set up like your not going to be able to run getting your ducks in a row and if you are take it as a bonus. On a positive note it will be great to be able to spend time on the water with our families, if a business is run above board there is funding so one should not sweat it.

I think charters have a good chance still but lodges certainly do not. If they open hair dressing in future then I see no reason why charters could not open. In fact I’m still not 100% sure if you can’t operate one per the law. We are not under essential only work orders in bc. Most are not operating right now and I believe that is the right call but still along time till July 15 when retention opens.

Unrelated to above but still interesting
upload_2020-4-18_19-23-10.jpeg

Went of the east side of Harrison lake today, campers lines the fsr for the first 20k. So not sure how well this park/campground closure is
Doing. Seems like people are finding a way.

Also it’s unreal how far you can see these days amazing views and fresh air. Almost feels like a different planet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back