All Things COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been questioning myself about posting anymore on this subject here. It seems to go dumpster rather quick and information, misinformation and disinformation, for some, seems to be of equal weight. Broad opinions or statements of fact without any links, who does that? The worst, IMHO, is of course conspiracy theories from some of the public bad actors here in Canada and the US. Please fellas don't post them here, your not helping.

My point... I try to research using the best available evidence from trusted sources and as someone that's been doing this for decades, research that is, I think that I'm well practised. Do I make mistakes? Shure we all do, were human but we pick ourselves up, sometimes admit fault and try to do better next time. I am heartened by a few of you here on this forum that have taken the time to clear up misinformation but I have to wonder if others to feel this way too. You would think the social pressure to get things right would be enough to be careful of what you say.

Do I continue posting? Does anyone see value in what I say or are my posts just as good as someone that's clearly, through no fault of their own, misinformed. Should I even point that out?

Why do I care? Me, my family and friends are mostly high risk. I kind would like to keep them around longer. Even people I lock horns with on here I want around to battle with again when this is over.

So here is your chance, should I.
1 - STFU don't point out misinformation.
2- Just post the odd graph and video and let them decide the value for themselves.
3- Just post "Nonsense" when you see it, don't go into to much detail as to why.
4- Don't post you are a magnet for the contrarians out there.
5- I suggest you ____________

Guidance, is what I'm looking for, on this thread or PM.
Thanks

I'll go with 2... all you can do is post up your opinion/graphs etc and 95% of people will interpret it to fit their own beliefs, but 5% it may change their mind.

Reactions: GLG
... Why do I care? Me, my family and friends are mostly high risk. I kind would like to keep them around longer. Even people I lock horns with on here I want around to battle with again when this is over...

Right there with you. Keep on Keeping On!!
Pozitive.gif

Cheers,
Nog

I have been questioning myself about posting anymore on this subject here. It seems to go dumpster rather quick and information, misinformation and disinformation, for some, seems to be of equal weight. Broad opinions or statements of fact without any links, who does that? The worst, IMHO, is of course conspiracy theories from some of the public bad actors here in Canada and the US. Please fellas don't post them here, your not helping.

My point... I try to research using the best available evidence from trusted sources and as someone that's been doing this for decades, research that is, I think that I'm well practised. Do I make mistakes? Shure we all do, were human but we pick ourselves up, sometimes admit fault and try to do better next time. I am heartened by a few of you here on this forum that have taken the time to clear up misinformation but I have to wonder if others to feel this way too. You would think the social pressure to get things right would be enough to be careful of what you say.

Do I continue posting? Does anyone see value in what I say or are my posts just as good as someone that's clearly, through no fault of their own, misinformed. Should I even point that out?

Why do I care? Me, my family and friends are mostly high risk. I kind would like to keep them around longer. Even people I lock horns with on here I want around to battle with again when this is over.

2- Just post the odd graph and video and let them decide the value for themselves.
3- Just post "Nonsense" when you see it, don't go into to much detail as to why.

Thanks
I think this is a forum for a fishing community and as such you should feel free to post respectfully. I also think anyone who would encourage the throwing of our healthcare/frontline workers and our most vulnerable citizens under the bus for the sake of dollars needs to examine their values and maybe reminded of the repercussions of what they suggest. I’m really hoping the evolving strategy in BC in going to pay off and most of us will walk away from this and continue our lives. Humans are good at adapting to change which is what I think we will do. I say post away.

I agree go with # 2. You do a great service GLG to this site and most of the followers. Don't get discouraged and give into the ignorant, petty and small minded. Just ignore the minority **** disturbers with their inane conspiracy theories, blatantly wrong and misleading info and obvious left or right wing bias - that is NOT what these posts on here are about. I trust that the good Admin of this site will continue to do what the big social media guys (FB, Twitter, Whatsapp, etc.) are doing and delete/shutdown the misleading info and unfounded conspiracy theories. This stuff just causes problems and harm. I say keep up the good work!!!

If the stated goal is to save as many lives as possible then the solution is have all possible measures until we get a vaccine correct?

is that the stated goal tho?

Thanks
5 - I suggest you keep doing the research, following the scientific evidence, posting factual information and calling out those predisposed to intellectual laziness.

There are 2 sides to the Covid equation

1) the human life sacrifice

2) the economic sacrifice

You won't likely find much common ground.

People who have been impacted with the illness will have a completely different
mind set versus a healthy person who's business has been shut down due to Covid.

Finding the right thing to do is the tough part.

There are 2 sides to the Covid equation

1) the human life sacrifice

2) the economic sacrifice

You won't likely find much common ground.

People who have been impacted with the illness will have a completely different
mind set versus a healthy person who's business has been shut down due to Covid.

Finding the right thing to do is the tough part.
You're right. As a guy that ran a business for 35 years my perspective is that I could always make more money. Yes, we weather some tough times economically but we also recover, sometimes for the better.

But after a serious illness, life is never again quite the same. You cannot buy health back once you have lost it. I will support an abundance of caution in relaxing Covid 19 restrictions.

Last edited:
You're right. As a guy that ran a business for 35 years my perspective is that I could always make more money. Yes, we weather some tough times economically but we also recover, sometimes for the better.

But after a serious illness, life is never again quite the same. You cannot buy health back once you have lost it. I will support an abundance of caution in relaxing Covid 19 restrictions.

Yes while science can inform us it’s ultimately a question of morality.

Sweden just logged 185 deaths in 24hr period. Just looking at numbers.

You look at Norway and Finland results night and day.

I

Thanks

We may not always agree on things, & some times it may even p*ss me off, BUT I do Always respect what you bring to the table. Sometimes a guy needs to chew on things for a bit. At times you plant a seed that can take time to grow.

With this current situation just remember that we are all human & this is a very challenging time. Pepole are stressed & with stress come emotions. Options or ideas should all be treated fairly & challenged with some back up when required. I have Honestly turned to this thread for most of my covid info. It has been a wealth of info and lots of smart people to help sort through the weeds.

I would like to think that everyone on this forum understands that we are all stressed.

There are days the economic impact eats away at me. I look at my family and worry how I can take care of them if this keeps going. I had a call today and disscussed the future of 66 pepole. That's 66 families. It's this stress that can make pepole think with emotions & not rational. When I read the post on here it quickly reminds me of the bigger picture & the even bigger human impact of why we are doing this.

Right now regardless of what side of the political spectrum we are all Canadians and we are all in this together. It is truly like war times.

Last edited:
ILHG totally agree very stressful times for everyone, going to be lots of big decisions everyone may have to make in the near future depending on the industry you work and or are invested in. Definitely a roller coaster ride right now. I'm sure we will all look back a few years from now and remember this time and what a challenge it was. I think lots will be learned and so long as we all learn from this situation helping guide procedures implemented and future decision making the nation and people will be much stronger in the future.

Thanks you to the guys that commented, it's like I had a bowl of chicken soup.

Here are today's chart. Of note is a spike in new cases, one must remember that one day doesn't make a trend.
EWPYfYfU4AEEE0T

EWPZdmtUMAAaliT

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bc-covid-19-update-april-22-1.5541555

With BC now testing more wouldn't that be part of the increase in today's numbers? When Alberta opened up testing to everyone the numbers took a climb. Your thoughts?

We could also be seeing a combo from pepole going offside during Easter Weekend. I suspect that is what we are starting to see in Alberta.

Looking at the hospital numbers I would say its looking on a good trend

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back